Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Congrats on Day 40, Angie!

"Home" in my cabana this evening. Listening to a baseball game and pondering some audiobooks to listen to at bedtime. Had another peaceful day, went to the black sand beach in town this afternoon for another swim. Perfect weather for fans of sand and seawater. Took a nap and woke up to the smell of the cafe next door roasting fresh coffee beans.

Casually mentioned to a friend here that I've considered relocating to this area (I work online and thus have flexibility) and it quickly escalated to her offering to show me a house tomorrow. I agreed to take a look, but I certainly won't pull the trigger. Not the right time. Regardless, I suppose it's good to know that she can help in the future, and it would be rude in this case to back out - after all, I'm on vacation, what else do I have to do but indulge my dreams?

I lived in this town here in Costa Rica for 3 months right after I got out of rehab in Chicago - many of my acquaintances in Chicago thought I was "running away" from a stressful situation but really I was just "running towards" a new life. I needed to know that change was possible and I'm glad I changed my scenery at that time. Now that I live in Guate it's an easy, quick, cheap vacation spot and I visit often. Perhaps it's best kept that way? Mex, you might have some useful feedback. I'm coming up on 1 year abroad, and it's just the beginning. A year ago at this time I was packing up to leave Chicago. Seems like a lifetime ago. Speaking of, I coming up on 3 years sober, next month. Tomorrow will be 2 years, 11 months, in fact!

In sobriety I've found it's best to make sure you aren't rushing yourself to meet others' expectations. Do what's right for YOU, and stop worrying about what others think or what you perceive others need. You made the decision to stop drinking and hit the "reset" button. It's a new game, you are in control, and you get to make the rules for how you live your life, as long as you are living sober and healthy.

No matter where you are in your sobriety this weekend, take it one day at a time. Every day you don't drink, your foundation for a better life gets stronger!