Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Awesome pic MM.... They look so happy!

Trach... I like that song!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Uriah Heep was a band that got squeezed out of fame by the glut of superbands of the 70's. They were truly fantastic.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I have loved that song since it first came out when I was in 4th grade!
Me too!
Exactly!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Uriah Heep was a band that got squeezed out of fame by the glut of superbands of the 70's. They were truly fantastic.
I vaguely remember them trachemys - they were from my part of London or at least some of them were. Didn't one of their main guys die of the sauce? Maybe i'm confusing them with someone else - i've probably killed most of my brain cells
Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Friday!

Dog walked, need to go to the grocery to stock up on supplies and then I am ready to settle in for the night.
Rain is just about one of my favorite things. Alas, little rain here this weekend. Temps to reach 60 degrees on Sunday. Thinking my small trees and bushes look like they may need to be trimmed down and I believe Sunday might be a good day to do it. Can any master gardeners on the bus tell me if this is a good thing or a bad thing to do around this time of year? Or does it not matter at all?

Wonder what I shall cook this weekend.

I hope everyone is doing well this fine Friday!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Uriah Heep

Man, quite the Tome in Wiki on Uriah Heep. Drink and Drugs keep coming up. Imagine that back then, eh? A long, but interesting, read...

'According to Blows [a Band Biographer], "A strenuous touring schedule, compounded by the bassist's heavy drug dependency (inherent even before joining Heep) was taking its toll, though matters came to a head while on tour during September," when the bassist was electrocuted on stage in Dallas.'

Another reason I sprung $$ for a 1st Gen 'Nady' Wireless Transmitter for my Bass. The Bass, not connected by any Wires, and Mic could not be on opposite AC Power Line Phases. This set-up could not Electrocute you from Electrically-'hot' Bass Guitar Strings to metal Mic Housing.

Uriah Heep ~ Wikipedia

-----
Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hey all. I'm so glad to be part of the sober weekend convoy. Went to lowes to get supplies for tomorrow's work. Coloring with the kids (wife is getting in some reading time in piece and quiet) and its Friday and I'm SOBER!!! Yeah man!!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for the link mesaman - hadn't realised they still going (albiet with new line up).

Some of my friends at school in the 1970's liked them a lot (me - well I was into disco at at the time)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Yet another kewl thing about SR, saoutchik. We can admit to how much used to drink and fess up to having been into Disco.

Anonymous Forums rock, eh?-)

Not quite Disco, but a fun bit O'Funk. Written by Stevie Wonder for Chaka Khan & Rufus.

'Tell Me Something Good' ~ Chaka Khan & Rufus

-----
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Well, I'm back. I went to an Aa meeting at seven p.m. I wanted to be around semi sane people for a change and a bunch of sober drunks seemed as good a place as any

Court was completely insane today. And it's not a full moon. Don't know what gives. Had an odd moment. One defendant was offered community service to satisfy his charges-public drinking and possession of paraphernalia. He would have to choose any not for profit organization on his own, we don't have a list. His lawyer walked up to me and asked "is AA a non profit? That's where he wants to do it." I felt like looking around and asking "who, me? Are you talking to me? Why would I know that?" I decided that attending meetings would qualify and be an appropriate choice given his charges.so I told her that. It was weird.

Kids in bed. Temps supposed to be in the mid 40s tomorrow and 2 to 4 inches of snow on Sunday. New windows installed in the kitchen but you get what you pay for. They did good work but the windows aren't the best quality. Dang it. And they need silicone caulking at the base. Air seeping in and out. They are supposed to be helping my heating bills, not increase them.

Saoutchik, take me with you to Camden market! And for hats. Awesome! I've never made it to Camden markets on my trips to London. I'm missing something apparently. Have fun!

Time for ice cream. And then bed. Gymnastics in the morning. And I have to put on my patience and tolerance hat. My mother in law is coming to spend time with the kids. Talk to you all later.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hi all - I can't remember if I climbed aboard yet and I'm too lazy to check. So I'm just gonna post and say that I'm in!

Work felt like it was never going to end today. And b/c it was so late I decided to pick up some food from Whole Foods. And I REALLY had to fight the urge to grab a bottle of wine. I ended up buying a $5.00 piece of cake. Now it's almost 11, and am SOOO glad I beat the urge today. Going to bed soon, looking forward to waking up and feeling great and enjoying my Saturday.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Yay, Lola! Way to stay strong. Cake is fine! And you didn't jump on yet. Good seeing you!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Weas, I just read your thread on isolation and it's a great post. You made me smile with your comment about bowling though. The local alano club where I sometimes attend meetings does sober bowling every Sunday afternoon during the winter. And when I was in inpatient rehab we had a field trip on Wednesdays that everyone looked forward to - bowling. More sober bowling. It was a good lesson that activities we usually associated with drinking were actually quite fun sober.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I just housed an entire large pizza and a pint of Haagen-Dazs. Not too sure about that decision.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a great sober evening!

Checking in tonight. I feel frazzled since I thought I had class at 3p and it started at 1:30p. Was not happy since I was there all day and it seems my schedule changes every single day of the week. Between that, getting stuck in traffic on the way home, making dinner, doing homework and going to SR chat meeting, I feel I am going in too many directions.

Ruby-it's got to be a full moon. I think both of us feeling frazzled should qualify for a full moon. My jaw dropped with what your kids said. Keep in mind they're comparing you to fitness models.

MM-loved the pics of the dogs

Non-fuzzy math will get you in trouble with the competitive marathoners. I can see them now coming after us with pitchforks and torches. Hope your new butt comes in on fedex tomorrow. Great job on the 13.3 today! I've noticed I have to be careful with how I transition (sitting on the saddle gently after climbing or just getting off the saddle) if I don't want sensitive areas bruised even with super padded biking shorts.

Weasel-I was wondering when someone would mention bacon. You're making awesome progress!

Lola-great job on resisting the temptation! I'm glad you're here on the sober bus.

Olive-There are lots of new recipes on the recipe thread if you're looking for something interesting. Some tasty fish and chips recipes were posted by soberwolf and trach.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Mns, I just had two Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey ice cream cones. I'm sympathetic. Maybe my kids are right?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Ruby as much as I don't want to think about ice cream right now, I totally need to try that B&J flavor. I've tried most of them, but not that one. Maybe next Friday!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Saw Ex-Machina in the cinema last night. Excellent film. I enjoyed driving Mrs B there and not feeling i needed to rush home to imbibe as if something was missing. The level of public intoxication on the streets was its usual, which I don't miss.

B
Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey lola ,
I kept the ice compartment/ freezer at home stocked up with TV dinners so if i was feeling weak i didn't need to go in to the place where they sell alcohol .

Friday was my worst day for this , so i used to take mum shopping on a saturday, I'd stock up on a thursday … maybe with a small pot of ice cream sat in the freezer as a reward for getting home friday

It took enough of an edge off to get through , you got through that all thats important , way to go

Saturday morning here in the UK ,
Time for coffee .. it's a new day … we get to try and make today better than yesterday .

m
Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I'm in