Notices

Let the sun shine in! Weekender Thread! Jan 23-25

Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

serenidad - make the weekend count.

Ruby, almost didn't recognize you, no cat. But nice hat. And if you look hard enough and squint I think I see a cat in that hat. The cat in the hat!

Home for lunch, dropped off at a place that participates in 'share the harvest'
It will go to needy families. They process it and package it. Snucked around my hunting area for an hour after. Going back this afternoon. Still 2 to get - both will be donated if I get lucky. Need to take a couple practice shots at my target in the back yard first. Last one was little to the left, need to make sure it was me and not the setup.
Wife is up - time to make her lunch before school - toodles.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Phew! Here are all my friends I've been feeling all up in the air the past few days. AV is being a bit of a whiny bee-yotch and is popping in and out of my head.
One of my friends just recently retired ( lucky bum!) and is taking my dog out for walks during the day - she really wanted to start exercising. It is so funny, when I come home my dog looks at me with such guilt! Like she thinks she was cheating on me, or that she shouldn't be having such fun during the day I keep telling her that I know what she is up to and to enjoy
I am so looking forward to another weekend of hockey for my son. Really, I am! This time last year was all about sitting in a cold arena, hung over, counting the minutes and plotting to my next drink. No more of that nonsense!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday all, wow this thread is gaining steam early!

Good question Weasel. When did I first realize the sun would come out again? For me, it happened when I started traveling again. I was fortunate enough to have saved up some money from my old job, which I had quit before I'd entered treatment. After my rehab, I stayed up in Chicago for a month or so...and boy, was that depressing!

So instead of sitting on that same couch where I'd nearly drunk my life away, I jumped on a flight down to Costa Rica and stayed there for a few months. I rented a small wooden shack behind a cafe in a small fishing village. Getting up in the morning, riding a rickety bike down the dirt road...I realized that life was moving right along just fine. I was happy just being there, it was great to be a participant again. To be aware, alive, and not having to worry about my health, my lies, my secrets. I knew that a true "fresh start" was available to me, and that I had the power to actually make it happen.

To those just kicking off anew, maybe it's time you started embracing a new perspective on life? Get a fresh start! Many people who quit drinking have success when they also start getting in shape, getting new hobbies, and exploring new frontiers. It's a great way to start to realize that we CAN and we DO enjoy life without alcohol!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Bravo BigS!

Wonderful and inspiring!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey everyone ,

Nice to see people getting up and getting at it again , just get through till bedtime tonight and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow .

De-cluttering is on the cards again .. i'm trying to change my habits but it takes time, persistence and perseverance .. i have quite a bit of unused clutter and tools which i may as well "store in the cloud".

For a couple of pounds i also bought a diamond & moissanite tester so if i'm at car-boot sales i can keep it handy , help spot diamonds in the rough maybe

Things only seem to make me more burdened and worried about depreciation and maintenance . I like change and i love freedom so i find attachments quite smothering , I once thought more stuff was better , nowadays i'm not so sure .

With sobriety comes focus like i never had before , everything before was a sideshow to the next session.
now i have sobriety, now i have persistence and patience, steadfastness i get the feeling we can all do glorious things should we want to put our minds to it

Sobriety is the gift of a solid foundation from which we can build solid, steady glorious lives ..

Take care , m
Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Back at the office. JSBodhi, your avatar is sunny and your attitude about the weekend is infectious. That's great! The trip sounds like a lot of fun.

Mec, good luck diamond mining at the boot sales. That sounds quite fun. And changing habits - still working on that. It is hard to do. I would add "consistency" to "time, persistence and perseverance." I am having trouble being consistent.

Brain, I like rhyming words. Maybe I will do "bat" next instead of cat and hat. Or not. Avatar cat is now looking at me reproachfully. But she was laying down on the job so I thought a change was in order.

BigS, I think heading to Costa Rica to soak up the sun and regroup after treatment was a grand idea. It is so extremely gray here that is is depressing. It's not too cold so there is some measure of relief. This is not related but I heard two songs on the radio, back to back, both of which, oddly, included the line "spray on tan" in the lyrics. Think I'd rather have a real one.

Back to work.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks Ruby, yeah I like the new avatar! Cool stuff. I changed mine about a month ago to this iguana, I like to keep it fresh. I took the picture of this guy down on the beach a few months ago...and I'm heading there again on Saturday! Woohoo. This time, I'm taking my truck and going with the girlfriend. We're staying overnight in a hotel owned by a couple friends of mine, should be a blast. I look forward to swimming in the Pacific, enjoying plenty of seafood, and touring the Sea Turtle recovery center/hatchery to see if they've got any baby turtles to release. Going to head out early Saturday, it's just a 1.5 hour drive so we should be there by 10am.

Work has been a bear this week. The last few days I've been working with my CEO on a new sales project. He's real picky about EXACTLY how he wants everything to go. My company made a big investment in some technology, but we are a small group and really don't have a "sales team" at all. I wasn't hired as a salesperson, but I'm the closest thing we've got right now to handle this project. He's supportive, but he's not stingy with the criticism. I don't mind doing sales because I know you get major props from the higher-ups for taking on these challenges...but at the same time, I used to do sales 100% of the time and one of the reasons I like my job is that I'm not in sales anymore. Well, until the past few months rolled around, that is...
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I do like the iguana BigS. And your sea turtle mention brought to mind my trip to the aquarium last friday. The aquarium has a sea turtle in the big tank that was hit by a boat and rehabilitated. It is paralyzed and cannot use its hind legs to swim but can use the front. Apparently they found a nickel in its throat when it was first brought in. The kids all ran around the tank excitedly yelling "Nickel! Nickel! Nickel!" Have fun on the tour. I had not realized that sea turtle were so large. They are cool.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Oh, and the sea turtle is now named nickel because of the find.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Count me in!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Reporting in!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, wait, that's not it

Shoot, that's the new version

THERE!

Of course, I'm here. Wease, you gotta start earlier in the day for me to get another shotgun!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

I used to envy those people who went out running on a Sat/Sun morning, I was usually dying of a hangover and wasted many an afternoon in bed recovering from the night before, my weekends were lived at night with a bottle in my hand and the days, when the sun was shining was for recovering until the evening when I started to drink again.

I now say hello to the sun every Sunday morning, I get up, hangover free, grab a shower, it's all very relaxed, I then head out to the local newsagent, have a chat with the shop owner about various things, I then make the walk in the fresh morning air to my local coffee shop, before I would have criticised the price of expensive coffee, but after not blowing 100s of pounds all week on mere liquid to throw down my throat, a coffee, a muffin and a my newspaper become my company for the next few hours as I watch the world go by, have a chat with some of the regulars that filter in (who knew coffee shops had regulars too? ) . . . as the sun comes up to start the day.

I used to think that was unachievable, a whole new world that I could never be a part of, the simple things that alcohol never allowed me to do.

I'm now one of those people that I used to envy!!

Let's do this Weekenders!!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Reporting in!
Really good to see you here Sir.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Here's the sunscreen song for all you folks going out in the sunshine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Back of the bus as usual but at least I made it!!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm in! Back at it today at day 1, but I'm committed and won't ignore triggers!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Is this bus full yet, I'm in need of a seat
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Our bus is like the TARDIS: bigger on the inside. C'mon.