Notices

Let the sun shine in! Weekender Thread! Jan 23-25

Old 01-22-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yes, the bus expands exponentially to accommodate everyone who wants a ride. And it's welcoming and comfortable.

I'm home. I'm looking forward to the weekend and relaxing. One more work day and then two days of relative freedom. And I took the 30th off work because the kids were originally scheduled to be off but now they need to make up two days that school, was cancelled due to cold. I get a free day next week! I was planning to take the kids to the museum on Friday but now I can do what I wish.

And now, back to more laundry.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am taking classes toward my Masters, and I am in the last week of a particularly hard class that I have detested all the way through. I had a long essay looming over my head, and I was dreading starting. I finally started at 2 this afternoon, and I just finished 5 minutes ago.

It's always hard starting out: write and delete, write and delete about ten times--then it starts to roll. There's nothing I love more than writing a paper when I'm on a roll! I'm serious. It is such an adrenaline rush for me!

Now it's 9 pm for me and I'm full of caffeine! I guess I'll have to watch some mindless TV!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Congratulations Glimer! You must feel relieved, relaxed, and ready for some junk on the boob-tube. Nice work!

PK had a message that grabbed me:

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I used to think that was unachievable, a whole new world that I could never be a part of, the simple things that alcohol never allowed me to do. I'm now one of those people that I used to envy!!
I really like hearing these kinds of stories - the weekend mornings that PK has now sound like something out of a fairy tale! You're really kicking butt out there.

I remember when I was in rehab, and we had a guest speaker. The guy was about my age, but the similarities ended there. He was fit, in shape, and really kind. He had his act together. He showed up on his bike, and just looked so....HEALTHY. I thought to myself, "That's what I want to be like". The fact that this guy had also struggled with alcohol in the past really gave me hope.

Today, like PK, I'm digging my weekends. In the old days, I used to ask my friends "why don't you come over for a drink"....the weekend options started and ended right there. That was all I had to offer. So glad to be here with so many others who have found/are finding that there's a bigger world out there.

Ruby - cool story about Nickel. Sounds like that trip to the Shedd was a blast for all involved! Those turtles really are so much bigger than you think. Those loggerheads especially are absolutely huge!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Wow, working 2 jobs for the tax season is going to be exhausting!

I had a great day, though. Had a couple come in late. They are not yet married, but were both previously married and have 5 kids between them. They all lived together for 2014, so this presented a bunch of different options for who was going to claim who. Took about 2 hours to run through all the scenarios with them until we found the best combination for filing that gave them the biggest refund. There was about $2,500 difference from highest to lowest combinations I tried, and that was money that was significant to their budget.

Bottom line: It felt really great to be able to help some people save money on their taxes!

I am a happy sober tax nerd, and I don't care who knows it.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wow this week is flying by. I can hardly keep up. I'm in for the sober weekend and I love being on the bus with you wonderful people. We have much more fun than when we drank. Gonna be a busy weekend for me but I will check in when I can.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks Weasel! Count me in! Standing room only!

Will actively seek out the winter sun this weekend, free from regret and anxiety.

Saturday day trip: mountains or coast?

B
Old 01-23-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Behan.... I love the winter coast. Often walk on the beach here in Maine in the winter when not to bad. I love the feeling knowing its a place usually bustling in the summer. The solitude of it. The crashing wave sounds of summer and so alone.

Hey sober riders!!!

I am off work today!! Up to head to the gym... I want to do a marathon weekend... that is 26.6 miles between today and Sunday night. Walk run sprint whatever it takes but register 26.6 miles on my fitbit! I am gonna do this!

See ya in a few!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

WAKE UP! RISE AND SHINE!

Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Walk run sprint whatever it takes but register 26.6 miles on my fitbit!
The awesome.

Day off from my reg'lar job, but all day doing taxes. Try not to be jealous.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, room for a small one? No sun here, but I will enjoy staying inside and cosy (reading a great memoir about painkiller addiction that I am finding hard to put down) and watch and listen to the rain on the window while eating crumpets. I have hat envy, Ruby2, looking at you! Lovely to hear all your sober weekend plans
Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning fellow passengers. It's going to be a cloudy weekend with random snow showers, temps right around freezing, pretty warm for these parts in January. Will walk the dog his allotted ten minutes, stock up at Costco, and start crocheting another scarf tonight after work.

Weasel, 26.6 miles, wow! Impressive! Yoga and Step classes for me, plus some time chasing the 2 year old grandson. I'll set my goal for half of yours, 13.3 miles from now to Sunday night. Any other challengers?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
I'll set my goal for half of yours, 13.3 miles from now to Sunday night. Any other challengers?
OK, I am in. 26.6 on my bicycle before the weekend is up.

Saddle sores up!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool!!! Lets do it Bernie!!!

Nons... Do it!

I have 5 miles in today so far so day 1 is off to a good start.

Never have been a gym guy but I do like to observe. Lots of funny clothes at the gym. Now I do live in a state not known for fashion beyond a boot. And I never expect that you need a full set of dental work to be sophisticated... but still. Maybe it's my color blindness that sets it off just right. hmmmm more to ponder.

K
Old 01-23-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning! Yay Gilmer on finishing the paper. I know that rush of adrenaline and the whole process of edit, delete, crumple, crumple, start over, ah...finally. Good job. I hope you found something good to watch on tv.

Non, that's a great story. I bet they were happy. I got my w2s yesterday so I will be doing taxes soon. I need mr. Ruby's so I can start.

Time to get kids up. Band practice at seven a.m. for my son. Ugh. Still dark and they are still asleep. Wish we could sleep in but that can wait for tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thank you Alice. I love hats! I wish I could get away with wearing on like the avatar in real life.

Weas, good luck on the marathon weekend. It sounds like you have a great start. Bernie, I think chasing two year olds qualifies for a marathon any day. Have fun.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Wait for me, weekenders!!!

The sober bus needs to swing by my grandparents's little house out in the country this weekend. Day 1 or Day 1000, that porch swing and sweet tea will do ya just right! (Pics to come, hopefully.)

Much love to all! And I'm so happy we're all here.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

13.3 on the bike trainer this morning. I'm gonna swing by Target later and pick up a new butt. The warranty on the original has expired.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Very inspiring to read this thread this morning.

Weasel and Non, a marathon is 26.2 miles. You have 0.4 miles extra, but if you want those additional 0.4 miles, go for it! Bernie-a half marathon is 13.1 miles. Awesome to see so many people going for thons or half thons.

I'll join on the bike, but I'm using chamois cream and will have to bundle up. I think we may hit 45F tomorrow.

Gilmer-I don't think I could have pulled that off. Awesome job!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Weasel and Non, a marathon is 26.2 miles. You have 0.4 miles extra, but if you want those additional 0.4 miles, go for it! Bernie-a half marathon is 13.1 miles.
I think that under common core both 26.2 and 26.6 are correct.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I didn't know Target had butts in stock. Maybe I should pick up a couple.

Kids were watching tv and a fitness program commercial came on. Various people wiggling frenetically all over the screen. "Mommy needs to get that. She's fat." Ok. I'm a little rounder than I used to be but no one has ever in my life called me fat. I have a very low body mass index, thank you very much. I said mommy will never do that particular exercise program. "Why? Because you're fifty?" No, because I'm too out of shape. And they all looked like they were having seizures. Sigh. Kids say the darnedest things. Yoga and biking are more my speed.