Notices

*Ring Ring* Weekender Thread Sept 5-7! Join us!

Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
Now, all you need is Andy Dufresne and Red to help you out!

:-)
That's exactly what I thought...

Taking my break. I used up the last gallon of fence stain. I forgot how long it takes to paint old dried out raw wood. Been working all day. Didn't rain, sun came out and it's HOT HOT HOT outside. Worked up another good sweat - started to complain about my own B.O. out there. Need another shower - gonna be 3 today I think.

What I need is a cool tropical fruit punch with lotsa ice.

CONGRATS ON 6 MONTHS BIMINI
Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Grats on 6 months Bimini!

Got quite a busy sober weekend planned here. I'm finally learning to drive starting tomorrow, which should be interesting! Anyone in Northern uk is advised to stay indoors After that I'm off to see my family for a BBQ. Sunday I'm planning a long mountain bike ride, no opportunities for booze at any of these events so here's to a happy sober, safe weekend.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Big congrats, Bimini!! 6 months is an amazing accomplishment.

Tetra, direct or indirect comments about one's appearance are always difficult to hear and process, but like others have said, try to let it not get you down. She coulda say that for any number of reasons.

Beautiful pic, bigsombrero. Thanks for sharing.

Productive day for me here - laundry, last of the paper work signed for my job (start Monday!), volunteering, grocery shopping, and now making dinner. Whew! In the past I could accomplish one of those tasks a week - if at all - let alone all in one day. Sobriety rules!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend!! Only have 4 days of sobriety so far. I've had a tough day, a tough week, everything feels hard lately, I feel like such a loser, and I know deep down that drinking is NOT going to help anything.
It's Friday night, I don't have to work for once, and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm really really craving a drink right now.
Just went for a nice hot run. Going to finish icing my leg and foot, shower, clean my bedroom, eat some toast and watch "the league" on netflix. I have some new books too. That's my plan at the moment. Will be doing lots of reading on the forums here if this craving does not dissipate soon.

So happy you all are here
Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Drinking a foul concoction of Pomegranate and Raspberry Tea. I have drank far worse.

This site is such an inspiration.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
I'm in for the weekend!! Only have 4 days of sobriety so far. I've had a tough day, a tough week, everything feels hard lately, I feel like such a loser, and I know deep down that drinking is NOT going to help anything.
It's Friday night, I don't have to work for once, and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm really really craving a drink right now.
Just went for a nice hot run. Going to finish icing my leg and foot, shower, clean my bedroom, eat some toast and watch "the league" on netflix. I have some new books too. That's my plan at the moment. Will be doing lots of reading on the forums here if this craving does not dissipate soon.

I know exactly how you feel. Drink as much tea as possible for the cravings.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I love your avatar quote there Alone! So so so true.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome Aloneatlast and thisibelieve to the weekender thread and SR!!! Lots of great people here.

Stick around and share what you are up to over the weekend. 4 days is awesome... lets turn that into a full week!

Ken
Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Well I suppose it makes me stop a moment. I got word from New York that one of the regulars from the bars I hung out in died today. Odd thing is his name popped in my head a few hours ago. I took a moment to wonder why I was thinking of him. He died a few hours ago.

Can never be sure why we think or feel things the way they happen but maybe it was one alcoholic soul to another saying don't drink. It's just not worth it.

He was only 63. He was a large man in that he was tall and stood over others. A big face and a car salesmen style in the way he dressed and talked. Big gaudy rings and bright flashy bowling type shirts.

I would say he was going to be missed but people who drink together have short memories. We never want to disrupt the flow long enough to think we could be next. So we laugh. Make another excuse to have a round for the newly deceased. And then have another.

I am sober today. I am grateful beyond words for the experiences that brought me to this point. Good or bad. Because if not for them I would be in a box next to him.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

well, I put in a full day, got everything done I set out to do and more. relaxing after a nice hot soapy shower, getting ready to make dinner for my Baby. I think a nice chef salad is in order. And some crispy apples from our tree.
here's a thought to take into the weekend:

Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post

Has anyone introduced you to the miracle that is...ice cream? It will knock out a craving in moments.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Has anyone introduced you to the miracle that is...ice cream? It will knock out a craving in moments.
haha, yes...but in addition to not drinking, I'm trying to work on (off!) the 10lbs I gained this past year, when my drinking really went out of control, and working out went out the window... I have a wicked control problem with sugar too (shocking!) I can't just eat a bowl of ice cream, it has to be the whole pint.

I find that I'm just as satisfied with some nice fruit or toast with peanut butter. I"m a freak.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Baker Street

Well, a whole other Song vibe popped into my Head at the Dog Park a while ago, but then I read the Post from Weas. The age of 63 has some resonance with me. It's the age at which the very talented Scotsman Gerry Rafferty passed on from long-term Alcoholism. Neither his Wife nor pal Billy Connolly could save him from himself.

I know plenty of his End-of-Life details, and there's no point in bummin' out this Friday night Thread with them. Decidedly not pretty.

Instead, I want to celebrate the achievements here of Bimini and aloneatlast [to mention 2 Notables]. And, celebrate the Autobiographical Song 'Baker Street' in which Rafferty expresses his desire to turn around his Alcoholic Life. In my hot chit Sennheiser Studio-quality Headphones, I once detected something like 22 distinct Instruments on this Track. It was considered a real Tour de Force when it came out, and it is.

I'm away soon to a last minute Dinner Invite across the Street. Me and 3 Drinkers, and I don't dread it one bit. These situations do get easier, and are approaching the point with me of being non-issues. Hope springs eternal, eh? Like LBrain, I did some 'Manual Labor' today - that's MISTER Labor to you - and fixed a Gate and some Fencing. Fixed some bad Wiring on my Utility Trailer just now. Things that would not have happened expediently in my Past Life; one now permanently retired.

Legendary Alkie Alice Cooper took up obsessive Golf when he sobered up. Me, I'll stick with Ice Cream; the miracle Craving Cure! It is, in part, why I just got a new Mountain Bike!

Sober On!

-----

Music Video Link

'Baker Street' ~ Gerry Rafferty

-----

Baker Street Lyrics

The Gerry Rafferty Story ~ U.K. Mail

-----
Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Thanks MM for that tune. Always one of my favorites. You got me to read the words along with it and I get the song now.

Off to bed early... Have a big exercise day tomorrow. This losing weight thing is heading in my favor. Got to keep moving along!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!
So glad the weekend is here!
Going to my nephews football game tonight, it should be really good and a lovely evening for it.
Maybe the beach tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

MM - Baker Street is another one of my favorites. A child of the 70's with young parents most of the music from the decade is in my subconscious. When I moved to London in 1989, I was as fascinated with Baker Street because of that song as much as Sherlock Holmes. It is very sad that Rafferty never beat his addiction.

Ken, I'm also sorry to hear about your friend from NYC.

My day got better and I am grateful to have a job that gets me out of the house and frankly, out of my own head sometimes.

My son has a soccer game tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that. He's 11 and this is his first year playing in a league so we're a bit late to the party because most kids start when they are 5. But he's a nature athlete (which I assure you he did not get from me) and I love going the games.

Take care everyone. Off to eat chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream.

Last edited by charleesavedme; 09-05-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention ice cream
Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Wow, this bus is crammed full...heads poking out of windows, arms waving around. Love reading you crazy weekenders.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Thumbs up to another sober weekend . chocolate peanut butter ice cream made this Friday evening grand-looking forward to a fun Saturday.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I guess it's time for a tune. I was looking for a LL song, but couldn't pass this one up instead. Could be the best 6 minutes you'll spend tonight - if you're from Texas anyway.
Get a load of the bass player - every musician!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

I'm back. It's been a long busy day. Ahhh, it's Friday night. It's cooled off considerably from this morning. This afternoon into early evening we had torrential rain. Parts of the north of the city have downed power lines. A semi flipped over on an overpass because of the wind. We pretty much got rain but a lot in a short amount of time. It's still raining but a gentle rain.

I regret that I didn't take a before photo of the kitchen cleared of all the extra stuff before my husband ripped out one set of cabinets. The other, main bank of cabinets is intact but covered in dirty dishes as I cannot get to the sink. I will take a photo in the morning. In a lot of ways I'm kind of embarrassed to post any. I'm such an armchair quarterback myself that I am imagining the "eww, why would she pick that?!" And it's going to look narrower than it was because I'm opting to make it a galley style instead of what was originally billed as an eat in kitchen but no one ever eats in it. Because the table was always so cluttered with junk for which there was no room. Where did people in the fifties store all their stuff? Really? People had toasters and blenders. Maybe not crock pots or food processors but they had stuff. And why did builders do away with pantries in lieu of cabinets? If people have to have enormous walk in closets for clothes, why didn't they keep building pantries where you could put everything behind closed doors on open shelving? Where you can easily see everything and reach it! And then shut the door on it all instead of open shelving and banks and banks of cabinets in the kitchen proper. Sorry for the rant but it is silly.

I will post a picture of my scrap of old linoleum. And the cabinets with the original counter tops for those history buffs. Because it really is a slice of history. The counters can't stay because they are too damaged. Bottom cabinet bases are built far better than new ones but the drawer fronts are falling apart. The chaos is getting to me.

I'm going to eat ice cream. Then I think bed. At some point this weekend we are going to my grandfathers for his birthday. He turned ninety four today.

Ken, sorry about your friend. It's bad and I understand about the people moving on or not thinking about it. If they did they would have to ponder their own drinking and their own mortality.

Time to try to get my son in bed. Wish me luck. I need to put down the electronics and so does he.