Notices

Got overly confident and went medication free

Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got overly confident and went medication free

Yesterday, I went completely medication free ( truly stupid and arrogant) to not so suprising crazy effects. Well now I know I have to be medicated for life. The medication I take makes me very drowsy so I thought I could go off a day and be awake, awake I was and nuts as ever. Sigh, sorry for the lunancy on here yesterday, clearly medication is the way I have to go tired or not.

This week is about being a sandwich maker starting tuesday, searching for a better job and above all stay sober. I am 5 days cigarette free and breathing better, crazy urges today, but getting along well.

Hope everyone is doing well, sorry about getting all weird on here yesterday, wish me luck this week is scary. However, I am excited for the changes coming though.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All the best for the new job TDG!!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us have to deal with taking meds for the rest of our life Jeremy.

Try not to think of it as a failure or something that has to be endured, but something that helps us with our quality of life.

The daily med I'm on made me drowsy initially but I soon got used to that and it doesn't affect me that way anymore. I hope you have the same experience.

If not, you can always approach your Dr about other medication options

Best wishes for Tuesday

D
Old 09-07-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Thatdeliveryguy, 5 days free of cigarettes is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. Make sure and pat yourself on the back for that, you deserve it. When we give up using chemicals substances we yank our coping mechanisms right out from under our feet and that side of us that wants to use is fighting for its life and will use every trick in the book to trip us up. More than any other method I just suffered through the urges and cravings and at 4 years sober I can't remember the last time I even heard a wimper. You can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi tdg don't beat yourself up your sober friend

As for medication I don't speak on that I leave it to the proffesionals doctors etc

I think your making huge progress I remember days like that your definatly not weird

Very human you are you also fought urges how impressive is that you didn't drink on it

Jeremy your doing really well you have stopped smoking cigarettes I haven't managed that yet
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aside from how great you are doing, when it comes to medications you should consult a doctor prior to making decisions to stop.
You are an inspiration to me and many others I'm sure. Keep it going.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TDG - I love your attitude and your willingness. You are doing great. Good luck at the new job and in the job search.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My Sunday evening routine is to fill the medicine organizers, one for me and one for my dog. She is epileptic and takes more medicine than I do. I am actually off one I had for a long time, but a new one has replaced it. As a long time diabetic, I will have to take medicine forever it appears.

You are doing great TDG!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks friends, this morning I was hearing stuff and out of it, my wife was like take your damn pill fool you are acting crazy. I took the pill assessed what I had done and realized yesterday I had done so much damage, actually identified myself and my daughter. Don't get me wrong, I am not ashamed of me or my family I love them dearly, but I am so glad the mods both Dee and Anna care so much and helped me by deleting crazy post.

I am so luck for these words of encouragement tonight, yes its true without medication sadly my own mind and myself are at odds, scary place and I do stupid and crazy things without meds. I am glad my family here on SR is so caring though, I was filled with trepidation when I posted tonight I thought you all though I fell off the deep end and I did. Again, you are are my inspiration folks, I applaud all of you and thank you for your kind words and being so caring.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep us posted on the new job tdg....we do care about you and we're rooting for you.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
Yesterday, I went completely medication free ( truly stupid and arrogant) to not so suprising crazy effects. Well now I know I have to be medicated for life. The medication I take makes me very drowsy so I thought I could go off a day and be awake, awake I was and nuts as ever. Sigh, sorry for the lunancy on here yesterday, clearly medication is the way I have to go tired or not.

This week is about being a sandwich maker starting tuesday, searching for a better job and above all stay sober. I am 5 days cigarette free and breathing better, crazy urges today, but getting along well.

Hope everyone is doing well, sorry about getting all weird on here yesterday, wish me luck this week is scary. However, I am excited for the changes coming though.
Man...

Why on EARTH do you keep f---ing up and experimenting with crazy friggin' ideas and tactics, dude? Seriously, they are not working. Just chill out, and don't drink. Stop trying to alter every friggin' thing at once.

Serious.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am stubborn hobbers you are so right, I need to just take my medication, try to raise money, stop thinking I know it all and stay the course.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I realize the idea of taking medication for life might be as daunting as the notion of being sober for life. But try not to worry! With time and some work on the part of you and your doctor you will likely find a combo of meds that maximizes the benefits while minimizing the side effects. It might take a while but don't despair. Bear in mind too that research into the brain reveals new insights that lead to new treatments every year or two. So the way things are today aren't necessarily the way they'll be forever.

So for now, take your meds and go to work! Ultimately you have to do this for yourself but it doesn't hurt to remember what's riding on this. You have a wife and little girl that need their husband and daddy! There's nothing wrong with doing it for them as well as for yourself.

Stay the course, TDG!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A lot of us have to deal with taking meds for the rest of our life Jeremy.

Try not to think of it as a failure or something that has to be endured, but something that helps us with our quality of life.

D
I am on meds (for ADHD caused by a brain injury), and I will be on them the rest of my life. My brain just can't wake up without them and my disorganization and inability to concentrate makes life that much more difficult. And I was Dx late and my husband brings me my meds in the morning because he knows how important they are. It is so hard for me to wake up otherwise. A doctor said to me, you never really wake up from a coma, which is true. I need my medication to be a normal person.

I also wanted to say, my mom used to say the problem with meds is that people start to feel better and go off them. My cousin used to do that all the time because she is bi-polar and she would go manic and feel like a million bucks and to heck with these meds...then she would crash and it would be bad because she wasn't on meds.

Don't stop your meds unless a doctor says it's okay. Just take them.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ahhh..I really like this TDG..this Jeremy. Take that pill...please keep this guy around. He's awesome.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jeremy, glad to hear you went back on your meds. If you find that your meds are not working or making you feel cruddy, consult your Dr. Some meds, you cannot just stop taking-there may be withdrawal. You would need your Dr to wean you off.

Good luck with the new job!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

TDG, my meds make me sluggish and lethargic too, but the alternative is far worse.
I do not want to get very ill, wind up in the hospital with a very long recovery time. For me, that is playing the tape thro.
That knowledge insures that I take my meds even tho I do take issue with the side effects.
Now that I am older, I see many many people who need medications every day for the rest of their life for various conditions.

I have been in treatment a long time and I had to really work at acceptance. I think mental illness is very scary and all the stigma doesn't help.

But we have to do what is best for us as the consequences otherwise are too severe.