Notices

*Ring Ring* Weekender Thread Sept 5-7! Join us!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome Justbreathe ... I think the guys said it best about what the weekender thread is and does for us.

Ok.... So I did not see the weather report and dang it's hot out today. Sticky more. Supposed to break tonight with rain so tomorrow will be my big hiking day. Lots of stuff to do around here.

I have this really good electric wok. I have it still in the box from when I bought it two years ago. So I took it out and it's now easy to get at. Time to learn something new. Wok cooking.

Be well folks!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Wow! Good morning everyone. I'm thinking about making more coffee to sip.

ThisIBelieve, I relapsed last summer and one of the things I had in mind was "I will quit after I've had one last XXX." Whether it was a gin and tonic or margarita. Saying goodbye one last time. I got sober and you know, I never did have any of those things because I was too focused on getting drunk on whatever. It wasn't the "romantic" experience of Savoring something. You can do it and keep the sober plans in your head.

Which brings me to something as a reminder for people with long or new sobriety. Don't forget the marvelous acronym H.A.L.T. Don't let yourself get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired because they are big triggers or are times we are left more vulnerable to the thought that drinking can fix or solve all our woes.

JustBreathe, just jump in! Welcome to the weekend thread. It's fun with a serious twist.

BigS, it's funny. I had 12 years in your home town, you had 12 in mine. I understand the feelings you are having in closing a chapter of your life. It's kind of a melancholy feeling but it also holds the promise of bigger and better things. Think of all the growing you have done that's prepared you to move forward. I was three days shy of turning 34 when I left. I look back at the huge amount of living I've had since then. Bought a house, remarried, two kids, established in a job for 14 years. It's mind boggling. Your adventure awaits!

I'm still trying to decide what I'm doing today. I am going to check on the kids and maybe make a plan. See you all later!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post

I have a bit of mind work to do this weekend. I have been offered a job that I need to make a decision on by the end of the weekend. Been making the pros and cons lists and now I need to ponder them. I think the best place to do that is the beach! So a day at the beach with the dog is in the agenda.

I hope everyone is doing well today!
Hey Olive - what is the job??? I think taking the dog to the beach is the best way to put your brain in a zen place to let it sort it out without your interference. LOL! Have fun! Post a pic, if you can.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Made 3 trips to the community wood chip pile. I'll need many more throughout the next couple weeks. My seeds came. Which means it's planting time - a tad late but the pilgrims got a late start too. buttercrunch + danyelle lettuce, a micro greens mix, spinach - winter variety, and some radishes. I may have to make a hot box this year. I still have a s-load of peppers and tomatoes. A lot of work.
It's hot and humid, I am sweating big time. But, the garden awaits me.

MM - that Tokyo train vid is nuts! I've been on some packed trains and buses - but that is just crazy.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Doing fairly well thus far and its been great reading how everyone else is! My sleep patterns are still messy so I was up way too early. Did manage to get the grocery shopping done and house tidied up... but now suddenly feel sick
Nausea, headache etc. Don't know if its part of withdrawal or if im just feeling crappy since it came so fast. Blech.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

almost forgot - weasel - don't use cheap oil in your wok, get a high quality oil with a high smoke point.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

JB... I would just go with it for now. Nice to have the house tidy huh? relax a bit. Maybe today is just a Blah day and you will feel better in the morning. It will take a week or so to get back to feeling better.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

LB... what oils are best? Sesame?
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Just one or two branches...how long can that take? 20....30 minutes? Yeah no problem, just do it...git'r'done!

4 hours later and I am covered with sweat. I think my Polesaw Voice lies just as much as my Alcoholic Voice.

Now...where's my list?
Old 09-06-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Kind of low, foggy and fatigued since yesterday. Have been doing pretty well at work despite the funk. A little snarly but trying to restrain it.

Somehow I got home from work without picking up any beer. I had thought of it earlier in the day, but I knew I was feeling run down and rough as if a cold was coming on, so I knew the best thing was just to go straight home. (I did pick up a couple movies from Redbox, though.)

The beer idea didn't really appeal to me at the time anyway. I also told myself that the way I was feeling was about the same as I would feel the next morning if I spent the evening drinking, so I was already getting that feeling for free and could use the money for something else.

Had fish, refried beans and collards with mustard-based BBQ sauce for dinner soon after I got home. Channel-surfed TV, which I rarely do. Maybe I should do more of that. Caught part of PBS News Hour and the second half of Jeopardy, plus part of Masters of Illusions, a cancer charity show, Fun with Dick and Jane, and Barbarella.

Then I saw a cool documentary about a painter, Kehinde Wiley, that really captured my interest: Kehinde Wiley: An Economy of Grace | PBS Arts | PBS. I recommend it.

I wish I had money in the bank so I could spend a good amount of time in Manhattan. Nicely wooded college town is nice, but maybe not stimulating enough for me. On the other hand, I also need time alone and in the woods. Probably no perfect solution for this case.

For breakfast I had about the same as for dinner, except chicken breast strips instead of fish. Browsed SR and internet a little while, then went back to bed until almost noon.

A nice, overcast, drippy day outside. Had some iced tea but have hardly perked up. Hoping to get out among people in some non-regrettable way this weekend, or to find some interesting activity that won't just be marking time.

"Verbiage of the Blah" is my new band name today.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
LB... what oils are best? Sesame?
Peanut oil has a high smoking point. I don't know about others.

I save sesame oil for last, as seasoning. The same with ginger oil.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

JustBreathe, I had that happen a few times in early sobriety. Still do sometimes. For me it was because I was doing too much, too fast. And feeling anxious about it. Maybe sit down and have a glass of water. Close your eyes for a bit? And just breathe!

I am just resting because with the sink blocked for three days by a table and stuff there were a lot of dishes to wash. This whole kitchen thing started because I want a dishwasher. And I still didn't buy a dishwasher. Go figure.

I have become semi addicted to Houzz.com for home decorating and remodeling ideas. You could go crazy thinking about the realm of possibilities.

My daughter just told me we have to go to the pet store to buy a dog. Then she changed to a rabbit. We need food for the hamster and mouse. I'm not coming home with more responsibility. I don't know the first thing about caring for and training a dog. And I do know a lot about the caring for and cleaning up after rabbits. I used to have two. Not without little helping hands, I'm afraid.

Time to make buttered toast for my son.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

'Bitchen Kitchen'

Ruby2 ~

The name above is one of Da Wife's fav Cooking Shows.

My Job at the Solar Retirement House was to execute said Kitchen. 1 deep Double and 1 deep Single Sink. Simultaneous Work 'Zones'. Out of sight, to the left, a walk-in Pantry, as you discuss... I frosted the French Door Glass, and recycled a 1940s Bathroom Light to illuminate it. A nice Night Light. A local Cabinet Shop had a 'Cherry For The Same Price As Oak' Sale, so we jumped all over that. One of the Base Cabs has this trick Mechanism with a Cutting Board that her monster 'Kitchenaid' Mixer sits on. It swivels up/out, and locks into position for use. She loves that thing to where I could do nothing else helpful in Married Life, and she'd be cool with that! It disappears back down into the Cabinet after use.

I got the entire Window/Door Pack for ~1/4 of List Price because it was a massive, 'Prairie Mansion' Order that got cancelled. High Altitude [above 6,000']. Double Pane. Argon-filled. Anti-Glare. The 'Arts & Crafts' inserts we coveted. As fancy/schmancy as Windows were then. I designed the House around these Windows/Doors. I still have a few spares in my Storage Shed for some future Project.

We didn't have to live in it while Remo'ing, so it was mostly fun! The operative word is 'mostly'.

LBrain ~ That Tokyo Train insanity happens about every 10 minutes at numerous Stations during Peak Periods. I must say, I've had worse Commutes than being Sardined in against some gorgeous, flawlessly-dressed Japanese Babe headed to the Office.

------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kitchen_3_800.jpg (56.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I missed the cooking stir fry part. My Chinese sister in law who stir fries everyday uses peanut oil. Sesame oil will burn and is a flavoring.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

MM, lovely kitchen! The colors look like what's I have now and am working to maintain. What kind of flooring? I was also debating are dark or lighter counters. Hmm.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

I have Normandy style (look it up) granite with lots of movement...you cannot see any dirt. I went to the stone warehouse and picked out my own slab with my contractor, then the fabricator picked it up and cut in and installed it..it was fun but there are hundreds of styles and colors. the deeply veined stuff is either from Italy or Brazil. you can also see them on line and they have little programs to visualize your kitchen with it...very simple to do.

I am 1/2way through the 3rd coat of paint on the crown molding...the living room is 16 ' X 34'.....sheesh! my nephew who was painting for me is now in the hospital with a Epigglotitis.

my fridge icemaker is giving me the error message AGAIN....I am trying not to get upset about things but I am....it is one flipping thing after another.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Peanut oil duly noted. I also see recopies that need things I should stock a bit. Should be fun. And it seems easy to cook for one this way.

Heading to get an hour and a half massage. See you in a few.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Concrete Floors

Our stained Concrete Floors can 'kinda' be seen at the Link below. I call them 'Coffee Shop' Floors. Pretty close to the Pic, but I avoided the 'Tiger Stripe' artifacts along the sawn, stress-release cuts made after the pour. I did 2 Stain Sprays myself using a Garden Sprayer, and obtained a more Copper/Brown, less Orange, tone. Also, I got much higher Contrast than seen below.

I figgered we could strip the Top Coat and install whatever different, future Flooring we might want. However, given the current ease-of-Maintenance with a Dog, I don't see that happening. As a Female Boss used to say: 'Stick a Fork in my ***, I'm done'!

Stained Concrete Floor Example

The Granite is 'Kerala' or 'River Green' Slabs from India. Via Nebraska. Go figyah. Medium-priced per sq. ft., actually. I wander around our Mesa top, picking up Ute Indian Tools. Most I set back down for future Generations. This is a chipped, 'Flintknapped' Scraper on the Kerala Countertop. The Granite has everything from Lavender to Gold flecks in it. With all the Wintertime Solar streaming in by design, we opted for darker Countertops. The South-facing Window above is ~4' x ~7' or so. The Island Slab was expertly worked to where it looks like there's this splayed Constellation arcing across most of it. We used only Locals, based on Personal References. The only way to fly in a small, remote County.

2x in favor of Peanut Oil flavor. It tolerates the highest temps, too.

OK, away to the Dog Park, and to tolerate the Humans there...

------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Indian Tool On Kerala.jpg (60.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-06-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Peanut oil works. If you can find a ricenbran oil better.
others already mentioned oilsmfor flavor. Last minute adds.
cooking with a wok takes some learning. Mine is a traditional wok. Needs bignflame.
you'll have to practice Not everything cooks the same. Start with "harder" ingrdients first. Fungi goes in last. Etc

I needed a break. Working in sun. It's 92 in the shade . I'm under umbrella and dripping sweat.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Lovely kitchen, MM. Our counters are similar. We have tiled brown floors which hide dirt pretty well. When we moved in, they were white! I love white, but with 2 huge dogs and living in the woods. . .well, that didn't work so well. I would like to get new cabinets someday, but what we have work well, no flaws. . .they just aren't my style. LOL!

We did a complete kitchen remodel at our last house (we still own it) and it was so much fun designing a kitchen just for me. I'm rather tall so had the counters raised a few inches and just loved that.