Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 2

Old 08-18-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Today was the end of day 21 for me - 3 weeks.

I've not posted much recently, but there's a lot of positive energy and good advice going around here. When I've had moments of doubt I've read posts on here that are truly touching and inspiring. Everyone on here has been an inspiration, from those with days behind them to those starting again to newcomers. Thankyou everyone.

Those who are into sobriety - carry on! It keeps getting better. Those who are struggling and back to Day 0, you're doing the right thing coming straight back here. It shows you want this.

Good luck all, we can get through this.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Thank you. Gonna sign off and try to sleep through the dreaded night one! I know that tomorrow will be worth it. I want my life back. Will check in tomorrow. Boy, the things I won't miss about drinking!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Captainwhip

3 Weeks!!

Wooooooohoooooo!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

captainwhip: way to go!!!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Day 3 is dawning. I am feeling unpleasant physical symptoms. My mouth back of throat is sore. So I have decided that the cigs go today too. My stomach is bloated but that's from eating sugary food theses past few days. Like alcohol I can't just have one or two sweets/ squares of chocolate....I just guzzle the lot. It's hard to tap into my feelings...it's hide and seek in my brain at the moment. Plan for today is laid out. Wish me luck. I wish everyone here strength too. Just for today.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Great decision, Raggle! Be kind to yourself
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Well, Team August looks pretty amazing. :-) Perhaps so amazing that I will call today, Day 1 - so that I can join you :-) Stopped for about 6 weeks back in May. My best friend and my husband thought that maybe I had overreacted to this whole alcohol thing and if I "would just drink 1 or 2 socially and never drink alone" then we could put this whole thing behind us. My husband agreed that we try an experiment to see how moderating would go. It has been a little over a month now and I can say without any hesitation (and so would he) that the experiment was a monumental failure. It was never his fault - I knew before the 'experiment' began that it was a terrible idea. I wanted it to work, but I have known for awhile that my problem was bigger than that. I hope and pray that I need no more proof to never drink again. My forever Day 1 is almost over. Looking forward to getting to know some of you in the Class of August thread.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Welcome AchingforChange!

Congrats on 3 weeks CaptainWhip...fantastic!

Wishing you strength Raggle. Bloating in early recovery can also be the body adjusting the fluid levels after being so dehydrated from alcohol. Hope you feel better soon. Hang in there. You can do this.

I'm going to bed soon...going to read my book and drink my diet ginger ale. So grateful to end the day sober.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I'm sick of feeling like this. Tomorrow is my day 1. I look forward to working through this with all of you.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post
Just my opinion... But Team August is the absolute BEST thing that has happened to me since...?? ice cold water..??

With you guys I feel like I have a true chance to make this permanent. I love going back through and reading posts on days that the desire is low. It is so helpful to know that other people feel the same thing I do and experience the same tempatations and to see how they either made it through, or how they didn't and how the feelings of regret the morning after were as painful as the hangover.

And when needed, you guys are right here to pull us off that ledge... All with absolutely NO judgement or minimizing what we go through the kick this disease in the butt!

Today is much better. It dawned on me, tonight that my husband did not drink this past weekend... Maybe he's irritable because of that? He knows I stopped drinking. I told him tonight that tomorrow will be 2 whole weeks. He congratulated me - then asked if I was just wanting to slow down, or stop completely. I told him stop completely, because I realized I couldn't be a casual, 1-2 drink kinda gal. i can't stop when I start until it's wee early morning and I'm too sleepy to drink anymore.

Wouldnt it be great if my stopping drinking influenced him to stop too?

Thank you to everyone on our team... I love all of you guys! Keep on going... Don't ever give up!

Aww loved this.. very true. It's rare to have constant support 24/7.. and to celebrate daily.. or bring people back up without judgement if they slip.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Hi everyone, just joined today. Made it almost 30 days and thought I could have a few pints like a "normal" person on my very last day of a week vacation. I knew I would regret it but gave in to the AV. This lead to drinking non stop for three days, all three blackouts. Completely unproductive at work today. I have repeated this cycle so many times! I was feeling so great and now feel simply ashamed. I want to end this cycle, I know I need to reach out before I decide that one is ok. Glad I found this site.
The good news is, it's still August, so if you start over now, you can still be in August class of 2014! I know you can do this. I think I have killed my AV as haven't heard a peep for a few days!

You can do this!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hey all. Quick check in at the start of Day 17.

Bright and sunny day and away off to work.

Have a great day #TeamAugust
Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Day 6 has dawned and I am having a lie in because... Why not! I have 4 days off now and am not sure how to fill them!

I am thinking of perhaps going down to the nature reserve today as we haven't been down there yet. Tomorrow is taken care off already... Dressing up smart and going for lunch in Puerto Banús. I'm nervous about that as it will be my first outing "into the wild" sober...

My cat was fighting again last night so I didn't sleep too well. Well. I say he was fighting but in fact a young female cat comes to eat his food and chases her around the house. Sometimes there's some talking and batting but basically he gets owned by a girl...

Take care xxx
Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Day 9 for me, having my best friend and her kids round for lunch. No alcohol involved so don't have to tell her yet I've stopped drinking. Not sure she'd understand.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats determined and CaptainWhip

welcome EagerforChange Achingforchange and ee1979

1step, I know a lot of folks here who've had problems with benzos - including valium.
I think unlikely you can be instantly hooked but it's certainly a worry taking more than the prescribed dose.

You have to retrain your brain - I had to learn that 10 tablets were not 5 times better than two...and taking anything to make you feel better, or to escape bad feelings, is old behaviour - behaviour guys like you and I need to be really careful about, 1 step.

Do take care

D
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Congrats captain whip and thanks buggirl. Congrats to all for making it another night. Night one was what I expected, anxiety and worry about the future with sweating and odd dreams. But I know each day will get better. I want my positive attitude back, can't believe I let my guard down. One day at a time right? Stay strong today all!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Day 2 here, and feeling elated that I have taken the decision to actually stop drinking. However, also feeling very cautious that there is a long, hard road ahead, so don't want to get ahead of myself. I was able to get up at 7.30am today with my 18 month old daughter, and made her scrambled eggs for breakfast. Mummy was pleasantly surprised at my positive mood (I have been bloody difficult in the mornings over the last few months - 4 paracetamol to dull the headache and could barely get some water down me). I actually ate breakfast today, and bothered to make a vegetable juice. Anyways, enough about me..

Captain Whip - respect to making it to 21 days, that's an achievement!

Raggle - Fair play giving up cigarettes at the same time, something Im trying also

Achingforchange - moderate drinking doesn't exist in the mind of an alcoholic. I lied to myself for years that I could 'drink socially' and could 'control the amount I drink'. Lies, lies and more dirty lies… My wife does not understand how I can't 'just have a couple of drinks socially'; no surprise really considering she does not have an alcohol problem, and I do. I'm on day 2 with you - I know we can make it!

FacingFuture - I think many of us are sick of feeling like we have been on the drink, which is why we are all here. We can get there together

sthlondonab - congrats on getting to 17 days

Oswin - I get where you are coming from; many people don't understand if you stop drinking. Close friends who really care for you, however, should hopefully be supportive and respect that the decision you have made is the only way you can have a happy, healthy future. Some of my friends drink heavily, and I have no doubt that they will not be impressed with my decision to stop; they need to validate their own drinking by being in the company of other heavy drinkers.

zozotxiki - congratulations on making 6 days sober - enjoy your lie in!

cutengay - congrats on 9 days; I'm looking forward to getting there too…

dingo dog - I enjoy reading your comments; very motivational..

Dee74 - thank you so much for welcoming me back, again. I failed miserably in April, but was not really prepared to stop. you're encouragement seemingly knows no bounds!

Big love to the class of August 2014; stay strong, stay sober & see you all tomorrow..
Old 08-19-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Where's my girl chick chick? Still on day 3 with me? We can do this!!

Blackbirdfly- I love love that movie- and toothless! Forced my husband to watch part 2 with me in the theaters when it came out. Was better than the first IMO.

Congrats to all on their wonderful progress!

To those struggling, hang in there! I have a daily words of affirmation app- today's says:
"I Value Myself Enough To Practice Healthy Behaviors In My Life"
Pretty good one. Hugs to all!!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

good morning all. beginning day 14. . have a great and sober Tuesday!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Off to a lunchtime AA meeting. I am running late and have to walk in and everyone will look at me. Which I detest as I am such a nervous person at the moment. But just a quick read of SR has given me the courage to do this!

Hope everyone's day is good :-)