Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 2

Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 721 (permalink)  

Hey all. Another Brit saying good night! I am so pleased with a sober Bank Holiday weekend. I think the last one was probably around 1997.

Have a great rest of Monday peeps.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 722 (permalink)  

Best to all in the August class today!!

Day 2- After a very active and busy summer, everyone has just gone home and I find myself....alone. Was actually looking forward to the quiet time so that I could focus on my recovery, but instead I find it, well, lonely. I'm thinking that between the stimulation of visitors and the stimulation of drinking, my mind might just take a little time to adjust to this relative calm. This will pass for me, I know this from my 6 month quit.

My 6 months of sobriety is not lost, as I learned some valuable tools. A big one for me was exercise. Managed to keep this up even through the relapse which is good, but I know that had it not been for the drinking, I would likely be closer to my strength/endurance goals. My workouts/activities were not always focused when I was feeling fuzzy the next day...

Going to try to focus on the now instead of the yesterday, and just move on.

Much love,

MV
Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 723 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi Everybody! I have spent the last few hours reading the August class forum and now I feel like I know you all. So I wanted to stop being such a lurker and formally say hello.

I am on day 9 today. This is my very first post in the forum. I have spent hours reading this thread alone, and the last few days reading others. I think it has a very big part on why I have a good chance of seeing day 10. So thank you to all for your sharing. It has personally helped me because I can relate to many of your stories.

I'm a 37 yr old married mom to 2 kids. I started off being a social drinker and then as the years went by became just a drinker. I have embarrassed myself on more than one occassion and the worst part is I have let alcohol rob me of my time. Time I'll never get back. Just wasted on the couch either passed out or hung over. This is what keeps me from pouring a glass of wine tonight. I'm tired of losing time.

Thank you for letting me chat, it really does help. I pledge tonight to stay sober and look forward to reading more from you all soon.

-Ginger
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 724 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
Wow so many posts and new users since I last posted! Not had a chance to read everything yet but will make sure I do.

Hope everyone is doing well and making progress.

Coming to the end of Day 28. 4 weeks and I should be celebrating but I feel down. Had a few rough days and cravings over the last week but was able to cope.

I just feel empty. I'm sitting here and thinking what now? How do I go about rebuilding my life.
28 days?? woot woot!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 725 (permalink)  

Mvn - I agree. My sober days aren't lost on me either. I did not accumulate 6 months yet by any means (well done on that time!) but I try to remind myself that the days sober between slips still count for something. My body is healing, my eyes are opening. I am still aiming for 100% sobriety but I try to give myself some credit for what I've personally achieved since beginning in April. I really....really.....do not want to leave this site after a slip and then find myself returning next year and realizing it's been that long.

With that said, keep on keepin' on, TeamAugust!! Off to watch some bad reality television with my sparkling juice.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 726 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 77Ginger View Post
Hi Everybody! I have spent the last few hours reading the August class forum and now I feel like I know you all. So I wanted to stop being such a lurker and formally say hello.

I am on day 9 today. This is my very first post in the forum. I have spent hours reading this thread alone, and the last few days reading others. I think it has a very big part on why I have a good chance of seeing day 10. So thank you to all for your sharing. It has personally helped me because I can relate to many of your stories.

I'm a 37 yr old married mom to 2 kids. I started off being a social drinker and then as the years went by became just a drinker. I have embarrassed myself on more than one occassion and the worst part is I have let alcohol rob me of my time. Time I'll never get back. Just wasted on the couch either passed out or hung over. This is what keeps me from pouring a glass of wine tonight. I'm tired of losing time.

Thank you for letting me chat, it really does help. I pledge tonight to stay sober and look forward to reading more from you all soon.

-Ginger
Welcome, Ginger! I'm also a mama to two kids. I can relate. My love affair with wine started off innocently enough and developed into an abusive relationship. Stick around here, post lots, and I'm rooting for you!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 727 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 77Ginger View Post

-Ginger
hello Ginger! welcome to TeamAugust!!! great job on day 10!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 728 (permalink)  

Mvngon, exercise has gotten me through too. Gives me a reason to look forward to early mornings and to keep a healthy diet. Been vegan for a while now but couldn't seem to kick the drink, so never quite got to the endurance and body fat goals.

Last relapse after making it a month or so, I had one of those stand in the shower forever moments trying to piece the flashes of the prior night together, wanting to ask my spouse for details of how we got home etc. but terrified of really knowing. Anyway, I thought I could make the self loathing go away if I made it to the gym. I actually drove to the gym, napped in the parking lot, and went in and changed for work in the locker room. Can u say pathetic? Don't know why I shared that embarrassing story, but I am sure the team gets it.

Ginger, welcome! You are in the right place, checking in often helps. Anther thing I found is it is so much different communicating to the SR team than friends or even family. Unless you are one of us, you just can't understand. I have been so frustrated trying to explain this struggle to others, and now I notice that I don't even bother as I know I have a 24 hour support team on my phone in my pocket! Stay with us and let's get our time and energy back from the bottle.

Stay strong August! Day 8 completed successfully. Congrats to all on your accomplishments.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 729 (permalink)  

good sober night from Texas y'all
Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 730 (permalink)  

Ginger, welcome to SR and the Class of August, 2014!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 731 (permalink)  

Wow, such great posts tonight. Mv and apple.. I too am proud of my sober time and know that I am leaps and bounds from where I was 2 years ago, even though I have many slips. I want to be 100% sober , I like this life so much better.

For me, at this point in my life, it may be the hangovers that I hate more than the actual drinking. I drank alone and somehow managed to hold it together, no major embarrassments, and even managed to keep up with responsibilities ( but not as well as I do sober). But It's like my body and mind can no longer handle the after effects of drinking. The next day my attitude and thoughts are a complete mess and my soul seems to hurt just as much as my body. This is my biggest deterrent from drinking right now. Not sure if that makes sense, but I just thought I'd put it out there. I think I've become a master at drinking alone, keeping it a secret, and holding it together, but then it comes back and bites me the next day emotionally and physically, in a big big way

Anyway, welcome ginger! Keep reading and posting. Knowing your aren't alone and coming for support you need it can get you through those tough times, if you let it. Glad you are here
Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 732 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes. I do find it easier to type among those who understand. Like some of you, I am also trying to exercise and eat better too. I love wine but what I really love is a good craft beer. But those can be quite high in calories. Because of all the drinking and bad eating habits that went along with it through the years..I have a good 40 pounds to lose before I could consider myself in the normal weight range. I know this will sound weird, but I think I have the opposite of anorexia. They see themselves as too fat no matter how thin they are. I never saw myself as fat, until recently. Heck, I thought I looked pretty good. I was wrong, very very wrong. Now that I see myself with sober eyes I think geez what did I do to myself???? Tonight I think I look horrible and I've been on my eating healthy kick now since I stopped drinking. I think maybe my face has gone down a little bit, but even that is hard to tell.

So tonight on my continued quest to eat healthy, I had this bright idea to put garlic in my vegetable steamer where I cook my quinoa. I like quinoa and am trying to fit it more into my diet. I love garlic, so I thought if I added it while I was cooking the quinoa, it would be really good. So I cut up the garlic, open the top, and proceed to burn my fingers on my left hand. Bad enough where I had to keep ice on it for most of the evening. I just now got out of enough pain to do the dishes since putting any type of warm water on my hand was beyond painful. I guess I have a long way to go in sobriety and in learning how to cook healthy. What stinks even more is the garlic cooking in the quinoa was actually kind of nasty. Burned my hand for nothing. But I managed to eat the quinoa and avoid the leftover pizza my kids were eating, and I didn't drink. I call today a success, even if I did get a little burnt, lol. I am going to bed now to read quietly until my husband gets home from work, and then hopefully to sleep with no crazy nightmares. I hope (really really hope!) the sweats and nightmare phase is over now. Sweet dreams to all of you out there

Oh, and to determined.. I'm sorry to giggle at your gym story. I'm not laughing at you, just that it is probably something I would have very easily done myself. I have taken more mini naps in cars then I care to admit because I didn't get enough sleep the night before because of drinking. Just more time that I lost. I am going to do better, and know all of you will be along out there in cyberspace with me getting better too
Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 733 (permalink)  

Hello All,

Quit heavy drinking eight years ago with the help of a mix of Rational Recovery, Allen Carr, and the forum "We Quit Drinking." Been going back and forth between moderation and abstaining from that time forward. Finally decided that moderation was more trouble than it was worth, and I'd be much better off just ditching the booze for good.

I guess signing up on this site and posting here tonight is a way to make this more real. I did all my drinking alone, and there really isn't anyone I'd want to discuss it with in person.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 734 (permalink)  

Welcome Ginger! Great work on day 9!

Well, that was a terrible day, complete with rejection and a trip to the bar for dinner at the end. But I made it! Totally sober. Tough to manage with the moods swings of early sobriety. Those sheets are sounding so good. Good night! Great job, TeamAugust!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 735 (permalink)  

glandon,

You mentioned in a previous post that you're athletic. ("I'm athletic and every additional pound is huge for me").

Consider letting your friends know you've chosen to go alcohol free as part of your commitment to an even healthier lifestyle. (I recognize your friends on the trip will be in shape).

I tell my friends that I made the decision to become alcohol free after a major health scare (true although the issue turned out to be totally unrelated to alcohol). This, combined with the fact that I’m an avid trail runner (starting again soon!) has resulted in no push-back.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 736 (permalink)  

Ginger, that's so funny! I think I am kind of the same with regards to my weight. I have about 50 to lose now but I just dont feel like I look as bad as that number on the scale indicates. I look back at pictures of me when I was drinking pretty much daily and I cringe. I have lost about 30 but I think I look very different especially without the bloat. I am also up to jogging over 2 miles a few times a week. This from a girl who could barely jog 1/2 mile her whole life! I want to see how much more I can achieve physically and in weight loss if I just stop with the slips and relapses. I know they hold me back in every way.
Off to bed.. Day 5.
I hate counting days but somehow can't help it
Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 737 (permalink)  

Day 14 coming to a close. I had 5 "easy" days and out of nowhere my AV went nuts tonight. It was the most cravings I have had since day 3 or 4. Ugh! I recognized I was hungry so I grabbed the first thing I could find to eat and started eating quickly. It worked! Cravings are down a lot thank God that was scary. Just reminds me to never let our guard down especially when it is going "easy" !! That's when the AV can do a sneak attack! Stay strong and focused on the sober goal everyone. Good sober night team August, Chris
Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 738 (permalink)  

Ending day 7. Good to see some new folks. Hi Ginger, Roy. Welcome!

Calichris, I had a similar weird experience this morning. It's amazing how fast AV can come on!

Turning in. Will check in in the am.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 739 (permalink)  

Today marks the start of day 9. I followed my plan of putting pjs on and going to bed early after work - the AV has been particularly strong in the last 24hrs and I found myself plotting a bit for a fall. It doesn't help that I've had a bad morning already and work has started off bad too. I'm not going to succumb and made plans for a haircut tonight after work so I'm not tempted. I keep telling myself one minute, one hour, you can do this!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 740 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continue:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html