Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 2

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Good morning August.

Feeling better on day 2. Some lingering wd but was able to sleep and feel good about the day.

I'm committing to you all that I will not drink today. Hope you will join me.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Day 9 and going strong! Been doing lots of running and going to hit the local yoga studio tonight to try a session out for the stress and anxiety. AA at 8:00 again tonight too and damn excited to go to it! I have a good sponsor who is 27 years sober and a great mentor. But for now I am loving seizing sobriety one day at a time. It's my biggest accomplishment when i go to bed and my number one goal when i wake up. Hang in there everyone! Know you aren't alone!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I'm in tx! Great job. I am on day 3. Battling regret and fear of slipping again, but pushing through on the positive!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Waking up on day 2. I am always so relieved waking up sober and hang-over free.

I'm not sure why I let myself forget that feeling and slip eventually.

I am committing to not drinking today. I NEVER REGRET NOT DRINKING.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Great work Travis!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I hear you too apple! Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. I couldn't agree more Apple. Day 2 and feeling good. Welcome to everyone new. Hope everyone has a blessed day.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I made it through day 1 w/o too many withdrawl symptoms. Only slept about 5 hours last night, but I'll take that over 6-7 hours of drunk "sleep" any day.

TxAlchy: great job, we made it! I'll commit to another day sober with you.

Travis: rock on, it sounds like you have a good plan.

Determined: fear and regret can be a sneaky way of the AV trying to get you to drink. As Apple said, you'll never regret not drinking.

So glad everyone is on here posting. We can do this thing!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Good morning TeamAugust! A little emotional and down this morning. Day 16 for me. Yesterday meant follow-up appt for DS's therapist after testing for ADHD, and therapist thinks he has some oppositional defiance tendancies as well as generalized anxiety disorder tendancies. These things scare the crap out of me because I know that those are personality traits (as well as being sensitive, type A, short temper, etc) that are markers for substance abuse. DS is one of my biggest reasons for quitting (as I've seen mentioned above, so I am joining the team of parents/non-parents who want to quit), because I don't want my habit to become his norm and for him to think that it's ok. I need to do this for him, as well as myself, so that he has a good role model in me and DH.

Also saw on the 'net that it is supposed to rain on Saturday, which is when we have DS's big-ass 7th bday party planned (all outside games). Luckily I have awesome co-workers who are bringing me canopies and I am hoping that if it does drizzle, we can still enjoy all of the games I have worked so hard to get ready.

Just need to lift my spirits today, have faith (struggle for me) that everything will work out OK.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Welcome back Applekat!

I love the "Two types of pain" quote

I am at 1 week with no alcohol and no cigarettes!! Starting day 8. Gotta say this is pretty sweet!

I had to turn down booze at work AGAIN last night. The girls I work with wanted me to drink with them. I told them I was stopping for a while... at least until after the first of the year, and their jaws dropped like that was an eternity. It's so engrained in the service industry culture to get loaded. I don't know why I didn't just say "I don't drink" or "I'm sober"... I'm hoping its because I wanted to fit in with their crowd and not because deep down I don't believe it, BUT I'm worried that it is because I don't believe it. My BF asked me how long I was planning to stop for "40 days and 40 nights lol" I told him I'm quitting until I don't want to binge drink every-other day. (Which is most likely forever) but I left that part out. Why the heck am I scared of saying I'm done done done DONE!? He only drinks like once a month... Its not like he'd care... he might even be proud of me for stopping, who knows.. can't be fun to live with a drunken slob.

Anyway... I'm going back to school on Friday to work towards getting an RN and I think I'll start running next Monday after my lungs have cleared out a bit more also I'm going to do a little cleanse for the next three days so I'll be too low on energy to run right now. I like being sober. The dishes are done, the laundry is caught up, the kids are definitely enjoying me more, I have goals and am not just existing to catch a buzz.

I'm staying sober today too.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it FF. I think it will be easier to succeed if we all work together. If nothing else, peer pressure can work both ways.

Bblackbird I can relate with what your are saying. It is difficult to say some of that stuff out loud. Hopefully getting some sober time will help us get up the gumption.

Goal for the day: don't drink and don't die
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Don't have much time gotta run to a meeting but just wanted to say starting off day 9 strong but will never let my guard down that AV can be a sneaky bastard. Love you all and so proud of us !! Go TeamAugust !!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Good evening once more. Day 4 complete and I am in wind down mode. I nearly didn't make it. I couldn't sleep last night...itching, sweats...memories. Anyhow got up early, juiced my green stuff, popped a multi vitamin put on my best clothes and off to work. So far so good. Ate and drank properly...not homemade though...that starts next week!!
So I had made an appointment for after work...made that. Got out at six ish and WHAM. All of a sudden I was struck by HALT...I have been reading about this and I just had to sit in my car and stay parked for a good ten mins including phoning a friend whom I haven't told. I have told nobody...that's why this forum is my lifeline.
Anyhow instead of gratitude an almost rage filled me up so I dashed to a cafe ordered some food and got online to this forum.
It saved me...sounds dramatic but it did. After the h.a.l.t passed I drove home, changed into sweats and went out for an hour long walk. It worked. It worked.
And so I have 4 days...I never thought I would find it this hard. The weekend will be such a test. It's usually of a Friday that I open a bottle just after work and drink to oblivion, lose most of the next day and spend the rest of the weekend depressed...repeat next night...you get the idea.
So tomorrow I have decided to make another plan for straight after work...maybe another walk but longer...or the cinema. Any ideas??
I think I have been angry and lonely(or feeling alone) most of my life, hence successful career. I believe I deliberately kept people at a distance and amongst my friends they believe I am strong and content. Sure they have noticed me drinking more than them though we hardly ever meet now as they all have young families. That's what makes me most sad I think...that I may never have a family or experience the love from having children expressed here.
Anyhow I am almost afraid to post this but it will be good if I need to read back on. A real steep hill is coming this weekend!
Keep posting august people. For one more day.

Tdlr: I succeeded today. It was tough but I did it.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Welcome back Applekat!

I had to turn down booze at work AGAIN last night. The girls I work with wanted me to drink with them. I told them I was stopping for a while... at least until after the first of the year, and their jaws dropped like that was an eternity. It's so engrained in the service industry culture to get loaded. I don't know why I didn't just say "I don't drink" or "I'm sober"... I'm hoping its because I wanted to fit in with their crowd and not because deep down I don't believe it, BUT I'm worried that it is because I don't believe it. My BF asked me how long I was planning to stop for "40 days and 40 nights lol" I told him I'm quitting until I don't want to binge drink every-other day. (Which is most likely forever) but I left that part out. Why the heck am I scared of saying I'm done done done DONE!? He only drinks like once a month... Its not like he'd care... he might even be proud of me for stopping, who knows.. can't be fun to live with a drunken slob.
I am, totally, the same way. I had a good conversation with two VERY good and I believe no-matter-what supportive friends last night, but told them "I've been having some health problems, and I am taking a break- a long break, but just a break'. I wish I would have said it, 'whole hog'.

Feel ya.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

I feel you too, big time. I keep saying the same thing each time I get sober. I think I am trying to leave the door open to drink again as it is so hard to picture the future vacations, dinners, concerts, etc. without alcohol.

Then I find that I feel healthy again and think I can moderate, and sometimes do for a week or too, then it's back to blackouts and depression and regret.

Ihope through this support group I can learn to accept life and myself as a sober person. I am not even ashamed to say I don't drink, I just think I can't accept it yet. Weird I know, but I so get what you guys are feeling. Day 3! We can beat this, I know it.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Mail on the head, determined. Saying it and believing it are two totally different things. I can't say I believe it yet.

That's why I'm sticking with I am not going to drink today, and I hope to commit to the same tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Me too! Let's just keep checking in and reaching out when the AV is trying to beat us down and make us forget why we joined this site to begin with.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Hey folks. Checking in with my class today. I'm doing ok, just getting the midweek blahs. I'm commiting to being sober today. I'm approaching my 1 week mark soon(again) but trying to just take it a day at a time. Av has been quiet, but I know its there, just waiting. I'm going to the library this weekend and going to get some recovery books. Wishing all a sober today.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

determined and TXAlchy: I am the same! I last thought that I could moderate 1.5 months ago. Everyone who has been through that, knows how it turned out. I drank daily until yesterday. Slowly at first, then right back to my pre-quit "limit"

I'll pledge to reach out when my AV is acting up.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

I'm in. Day 4 for me.