# 241 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TXAlchy and FF

Best wishes Hobbers

D
Old 08-19-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I enjoy quotes.

While they can often oversimplify a situation- they can also often provide clarity and help reframe a situation.

As I was reading some posts, I was reminded of a quote by Jim Rohn:

“There are two types of pain you will go through in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”

I look forward to following and celebrating many successes!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, we rock! I can begin to tell you how much I've needed to hear the message "It's ok. I understand", and you all are it!

Every time we buy what the AV is selling, it gets a little weaker. And we get stronger!

I have kids, too, and it feels great when I am more present and can set a better example now. And while I sometimes feel guilty about it, I have other weak parenting areas as well. When I realize I've made a mistake, I just tell them and continue to parent with confidence. I hope they learn that its ok to fix a mistake and keep going. But instead, they'll probably never clean out the car and leave their chair pulled out and any one of my bazillion other poor habits. And poor sentence structure.

Apparently I'm continuing to live with no emotional buffer and work has been a pressure cooker for all involved. I apologized to my boss for being short on patience lately, but she thought I had been performing particularly well recently. Just goes to show that my estimation of hungover productivity was entirely false! Yay for no drinking! Boo for addictive self lies.

I'm so glad, sthlondon, that you get to be the real you! And your coworker will appreciate it, too.

Great job, Raggle! You body (and certainly your feet) is very happy with you

Great job, TeamAugust on making it through! We do what it takes and we shine!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hello TeamAugust. I haven't posted since earlier in the month. I'm back. I like seeing all the new names, and am missing a couple others.

I can write more later after the kiddos hopefully get to bed.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Awesome Sarah! Talking to a friend and going to a meeting are awesome, awesome steps!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GraceCathedral View Post

"Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”
Going to add this to my arsenal! I LOVE this thanks so much Grace !!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Loved that quote Chris. So very true. Day 10. Woo hoo double digits! Think I may have a job interview soon. My recruiter called me but I was in the shower. So waiting on her to call me back. (left a message) I remember missing some due to being hungover or withdrawals.. cuz I know I'd be sweaty and anxious going that way. Thankful I'm 10 days without a drink and can be confident whenever I get the call now. Everyone stay strong! #TeamAugust
Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
Oh yeah, we rock! I can begin to tell you how much I've needed to hear the message "It's ok. I understand", and you all are it!

Every time we buy what the AV is selling, it gets a little weaker. And we get stronger!
Eh hem, Every time we don't buy what the AV is selling, it gets a little weaker.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I'm amazed at how much alcohol had dulled the joy from activities that I usually would enjoy. I've been playing video games for most of my life and consider myself a "gamer." Lately, I've been really struggling to "get into" any games. I suspect this is from always playing drunk.

To top it all off, I just booted up one of my game systems and fired up the game in the drive (Sew Super Mario Bros U) and was shocked to find that I had beaten 8 levels. I don't even remember playing it at all.

I find that the same is true for reading. Sober-me really loves reading at night and I have since I was a kid. Alcohol takes that enjoyment away (even if I am somehow able to read while drunk... wasn't always easy).

To circle back to the kid conversation, I suspect that there have been MANY instances with my child where I wasn't enjoying myself drunk/buzzed as much as I would have sober.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
I'm amazed at how much alcohol had dulled the joy from activities that I usually would enjoy. I've been playing video games for most of my life and consider myself a "gamer." Lately, I've been really struggling to "get into" any games. I suspect this is from always playing drunk.

To top it all off, I just booted up one of my game systems and fired up the game in the drive (Sew Super Mario Bros U) and was shocked to find that I had beaten 8 levels. I don't even remember playing it at all.

I find that the same is true for reading. Sober-me really loves reading at night and I have since I was a kid. Alcohol takes that enjoyment away (even if I am somehow able to read while drunk... wasn't always easy).

To circle back to the kid conversation, I suspect that there have been MANY instances with my child where I wasn't enjoying myself drunk/buzzed as much as I would have sober.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
FF, I too have started reading and exercising much more now sober which is so healthy for the brain and for the body! Sober life rules !!!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Hi all, wow this class has grown! sorry for going missing had some trouble accessing the site and my mums come over from Ireland for a week and is staying at my sisters so ive been there a lot- good news still sober! Had a great day with my 2 daughters today who are 3 and 6, my mum came and my sister too, did loads of fun filled stuff and although I felt a little weak and emotional at times it was a memorable day filled with laughter.

Haven't taken any diazepam tabs yesterday or today and feel Im ok to move on the sober train without any crutches now, was worried about dependence even though they were a very low dose, thanks Dee for your advice on the matter- I know how my mind works anything that makes me feel better I want more of. Spoke to my sponsor about it and he's pleased and has advised me to use my family as my focus this week, got a job on in the morning but then plan a meeting and more family time after that.

Love the quotes by the way, been hard to read everything ive missed but il try and keep up from now on when I get chance. Thank you all for helping me keep sober. x
Old 08-19-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

FF- absolutely have had those experiences. We went to an amusement park by our vacation rental, thank god we walked as it is a hazy memory. Countless times with neighbors, etc. where I thought I was a charming funny guy until my wife told me things I said and saw pictures I still don't want to look at! Alcohol truly does take the joy out of things and leaves a wake of anxiety behind. I can't believe how many times I fell victim to the AV after weeks being sober and feeling like a positive happy person. Not gonna happen tomorrow, cause I am checking in for day 3 and setting alarm to go running before work. If AV visits you guys, shoot it down and stomp on its frail body!! Who's in for 24 more hours?!!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

hello,

I've been lurking for a while, wishing to quit. Somehow, I decided walk into a Celebrate Recovery group yesterday. Almost end of day two. I had serious trouble sleeping last night. No serious withdrawal symptoms so far.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pakman92 View Post
hello,

I've been lurking for a while, wishing to quit. Somehow, I decided walk into a Celebrate Recovery group yesterday. Almost end of day two. I had serious trouble sleeping last night. No serious withdrawal symptoms so far.
welcome pakman!!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Welcome Pak. U will find lots of support here.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Well, kids are in bed and I'm successfully sober. Should start to physically feel better tomorrow. Hopefully I can sleep some tonight (if my presently hyperactive central nervous system will calm down).

Welcome pakman. Glad to have you.

FF, I've had all sorts of times I will have to rewatch recorded shows because I don't recall them. So I've been there with that.

I'm with you for tomorrow determined!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pakman

D
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Good night Team August! Sweet, Sober Slumber everyone!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Goodnight #TeamAugust see you on day 9 so proud of us all no matter what day you are on !!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hi team August! It is day 5 for me.

I am going on a seaside for a week for vacation. First sober vacation since I was 14. I am a bit scared but I can do it

Stay strong everyoone! I enjoy coming here and reading your stories. We are much
stronger than we sometimes think.

Have a great day