Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 2

Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travis9028 View Post
Had my first AA meeting this morning. I've never felt so powerless but powerful at the same time. I was super nervous but after sitting there and seeing how much the group welcomed a newcomer and wanted to involve me in the group on the first day was fantastic. I am already feeling accomplished about my new life choice. One thing stuck with me though, one gentleman kept telling me "you dont have to stay sober for your entire life" all throughout the meeting. I just smiled and nodded my head and continued listening to who was speaking. After the meeting he came up and shook my hand and said it one more time, it was what he said after that will stick with me for life. "You only need to be sober until you go to bed tonight, because tomorrow is another day, and another day to work for sobriety." We can't speak out for the rest of our lives, but I can live with pride in knowing today I made it another day sober and will be starting Day 8 tomorrow!

The energy feeding me had me moving about the house, cooking, cleaning doing dishes, even took the dog for a 4.5 mile run in the rain. So far sobriety is good, I am getting better every day, and God is best for giving me the strength to see this through. Keeping hanging in there everyone! Salvation truly lies within, and when you find it give some to others and grant them the strength do do as you have.
Respect to you Travis; especially the run! I managed a couple of big runs a couple of weeks ago whilst heavily hung over. Im looking forward to running again sober.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hi All!

I quit in late July 2014 and would like to join and follow the current and future successes of the August 2014 class. Although quite new- I see strength in this board in the form of multiple and varied experiences, perspectives, and philosophies.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GraceCathedral View Post
Hi All!

I quit in late July 2014 and would like to join and follow the current and future successes of the August 2014 class. Although quite new- I see strength in this board in the form of multiple and varied experiences, perspectives, and philosophies.
Welcome to TeamAugust GraceCathedral!

I like the quote in your signature.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hello #TeamAugust . Day 9 here. Survived the weekend woo hoo! Hope everyone has an amazing Monday! *hugs*
Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I bought this $1.00 tiny Toothless toy, he's hanging in my rear-view mirror. Figured he'd help me steer clear of going to buy alcohol since he's been my avatar since 2011.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

It's 9:30pm for me now, im laying in bed. I went to bed around 7:30pm so that I could 'officially' 'end' day 2 before I gave into temptation.

I'm proud of this choice as I had already started justifying just-one-more-drink.

Hoping to feel a little more human tomorrow!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Excellent Sarah!

Roger Bannister was the first to run a four minute mile, a feat 'known' to be impossible. Interestingly, a bunch of people equalled his run the following year since he proved that it could in fact be done.

Bannister said, "The person who can drive themself further once the effort gets painful is the person who will win".

You found a way to win today and deserve to be proud.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Sarah, I understand that choice; not a bad idea.

I start my "day" every hour any more. Kind of a good way to get through the day...
Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

What a cute little Toothless figure, bblackbirdflyy!

Way to go, Sarah! On to day 3!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hi Team August!

Happy Monday! Blackbird, I think what you have dangling from your rear view mirror was flying around my living room last night. I went to bed at a decent hour, but woke up around 3 am, worried about work. I went downstairs to the living room, but it was occupied by a bat. I grabbed a net and went looking for him, but he'd gone into hiding. So I went back to bed and fell asleep a few hours later. Sure was hard to get up this morning, but I didn't have a pounding headache, my stomach felt ready for coffee, and even with little sleep my reflection in the mirror looked sooooooo much better than it did a week ago.

A co-worker of mine has a grandchild in intensive care and has recently lost her adult son to cancer. I found myself thinking that she wouldn't be going home to drink over it, but instead supporting her daughter and their family in an way possible. A few days ago, I would've felt as though I'd need to treat strong feelings like the ones she must be experiencing. But drinking won't help me control which bricks life drops on me and it won't make anything better, but it might ensure that I can't deal with it well when they come.

That's what I've got for today. Thanks for the positive outlook, grateful-attitudes are catchy!!!

I must say that #teamaugust totally rocks! Fantastic work!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Talking

I think we are all doing really well! So pleased! day 18 here!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

LOL
Grateful I love your positivity and I feel really happy that you are in a good spot right now!
Starting day 5 here on the farm and its raining, this is a once in 6 mth phenomenon, it is such an immense relief and hopefully an omen that things are looking up!
Goodluck today guys I'll be thinking of you, especially Raggle, hang in there, it'll get easier and it'll get better.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hi, I went out with my friends tonight and had a great time
drinking water and lemon juice wuhuhuuuu!
Day 3 was good.

Now to bed happy. Wish you all a good night!
I feel good energy here
Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

8 days in, gang! cheer me on! I'll do the same for you!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hi all, haven't been able to get on to this site for a couple of days for some reason, but doing ok been to 3 AA meetings in 3 days, although tonights wasn't my fave and made me a little bit embarrassed of going back AGAIN, but the support ive had in the them has been good on the whole. Out of the withdrawal stage now and have decided to stop taking the diazepam tabs I was prescribed- they had on the label 'take two when required'
and yesterday I took about 10 and felt weird, had a meeting in the morning and my mums over from Ireland so I was taking them to overcome emotions etc, although my addiction is alcohol I was worried about dependence on these as a substitute so think Ive done the right thing in ditching the last 2 tabs.

Anyone else been prescribed valium for alcohol withdrawal then got addicted to them?
Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Day 19 back and I experienced my first-ever meditation meeting at AA. I found it to be so relaxing and restorative! Congratulations to Team August on all of our cumulative success. I wonder if we added up all of our days what the total would be...certainly a kick to the alcohol manufacturers!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
8 days in, gang! cheer me on! I'll do the same for you!
HOBBERS.. way to go!!!! 8 today - 9 tomorrow
Old 08-18-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Just my opinion... But Team August is the absolute BEST thing that has happened to me since...?? ice cold water..??

With you guys I feel like I have a true chance to make this permanent. I love going back through and reading posts on days that the desire is low. It is so helpful to know that other people feel the same thing I do and experience the same tempatations and to see how they either made it through, or how they didn't and how the feelings of regret the morning after were as painful as the hangover.

And when needed, you guys are right here to pull us off that ledge... All with absolutely NO judgement or minimizing what we go through the kick this disease in the butt!

Today is much better. It dawned on me, tonight that my husband did not drink this past weekend... Maybe he's irritable because of that? He knows I stopped drinking. I told him tonight that tomorrow will be 2 whole weeks. He congratulated me - then asked if I was just wanting to slow down, or stop completely. I told him stop completely, because I realized I couldn't be a casual, 1-2 drink kinda gal. i can't stop when I start until it's wee early morning and I'm too sleepy to drink anymore.

Wouldnt it be great if my stopping drinking influenced him to stop too?

Thank you to everyone on our team... I love all of you guys! Keep on going... Don't ever give up!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just joined today. Made it almost 30 days and thought I could have a few pints like a "normal" person on my very last day of a week vacation. I knew I would regret it but gave in to the AV. This lead to drinking non stop for three days, all three blackouts. Completely unproductive at work today. I have repeated this cycle so many times! I was feeling so great and now feel simply ashamed. I want to end this cycle, I know I need to reach out before I decide that one is ok. Glad I found this site.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Hi everyone, just joined today. Made it almost 30 days and thought I could have a few pints like a "normal" person on my very last day of a week vacation. I knew I would regret it but gave in to the AV. This lead to drinking non stop for three days, all three blackouts. Completely unproductive at work today. I have repeated this cycle so many times! I was feeling so great and now feel simply ashamed. I want to end this cycle, I know I need to reach out before I decide that one is ok. Glad I found this site.
Welcome Determined... You're in a great place here....