Notices

Class of February 2013 part 2

Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wino1234 View Post
almost 24 hours. my hands have stopped trembling. Have to stay at work for a couple more hours, then go home let the dogs out and sleep. I get so anxious to even think about sleeping, but since I worked almost 14 hours, hopefully I will just crash. I am just trying to take it one minute at a time. I dont like this day 1 feeling. Thank you everyone for your support. I want to and need to do this. I keep syaing to myself if I drink (even to feel better) i am slowly killing myself. I will not let this disease take over anymore of my life. I need to find a therapist. How do I know if they are good? What do I say when I call. Feels uncomfortable, i guess that is why I havent done it yet. Any suggestions.
Wino, Have you ever tried AA. It is very welcoming. Don't be afraid. Easier said than done. I am afraid to do all sorts of things. But Wino that is what holds us back. Most alcoholics are full of fear.

It may take going to a few therapists to get one you click with. Whatever you do, if you don't click with the first one, don't assume you won't click with others.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Venuscat - Congratualations on the job.. I hope qll goes well for you.

To all of you others in the February group, I hope all is well. Day six and feeling really good inside and out. My sleep is finally getting better and no night sweats last night for the first time.

I am re reading Rational Recovery and diligently practicing the techniques in it. They are helping along with lots of prayer and bible study. I know not everyone here is a person of faith but it is what I am clinging to at this time.

My main worry has been that this will go well for awhile and then I will end up worse than before. AVRT is helping combat that addictive voice that keeps pestering me.

I have never been to a 12 step meeting but have decided to begin making meetings when I have to travel out of town overnight. That has always been my downfall in the past as I would get to the hotel and hole up in the room with a bottle. I think AA meetings may be the answer for this issue.

I am a little nervous about attending my first meeting but I think I will try and see what happens.

Hope and good cheer to each of you.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I'm sure happy there are people out there that know what I'm going through. There have been times that I have drank so much that the next day I woke up with pulled calf muscles from standing at the bar. Many of the things you good people point out are exactly what I'm going through. After my binge, it takes me 3-4 days to get back where I'm feeling good. And its just not physical, my brain has been fried! But like a rollercoaster ride, here I am feeling better. Only to have the weekend around the corner. Guess I shouldn't think to far ahead and just focus on the here and now. And to think I was pretty lonely thinking I'm going through this all by my lonesome. It's funny, the next day after the drunk. I think back trying to reconcile the embarassing things I may have done. One of my thoughts is I never see those drunks around my "Normal" life. Not that it matters, but my feeling is if I would never again step foot back in those places, I would never be missed. "This Stuff Is Poison To Me." Noone here picks up today. Lets do this.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Day 5 here in TomJville ! Just an eventful past day and a half at work. 5 different problems at one time and of course, I'm the only one in the office to find solutions. And yesterday, thank god, I do a service trip, cause today is projected Stormy. Seriously, its a darn good reason to stop the insanity of drinking. A blessing in disguise, while driving yersterday it gives time to reflect. As I'm driving, I find 2 things out. 1.) Not everything along the highways and streets has booze on it, Subway's, gamerooms, sports complexes, stores, etc. And 2.) At times I get spiritually de-hydrated; in other words I forget sometimes to fill my world with God's words and promises. It's been tough, I go through such a range of emotions. I remember doing this thing called drinking moderation - were I would limit my self to only 4 drinks in one sitting. Never worked for me. 12 hours later I'm in a stuper. Hoping everyone has a Sober and Outstanding Day. I'll be praying for you.
Sounds like your the man.TomJ!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

My message to you

Just want to say Hi to my New Sober Friends, I am doing so well today (5). I did it but I really have all ofyou to thank!

I did have an extremely stressful morning today but it passed. Please if your having a bad moment, hour, day, remember it will pass; don't give in; give yourself sometime i it will pass.

We are all going through this. Lets be strong for each other.

Have a Fantastic Day!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
We are all going through this. Lets be strong for each other.
Hecks to the yizzess!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Thank you all!!!

WOW....so much support and encouragement....so I thought I'd tell u guys that I GOT THE JOB!!! WOO HOO!!
Induction tomorrow morning....
Yea!!! I look forward to reading how your day goes V.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Good morning all,

Day 16 here. I just finished my herbal tea...for the record, yes I do miss my coffee but kind of like alcohol, I could never limit it to just one cup and usually ended up drinking 4-6 cups daily. I am one of those "all or nothing" addicts, with my next vice to ditch being cigarettes.

Preciouskitty, Venuscat, Bonniecat, I think we have a theme going here...I used Odelle as my user name because all of the "cat" user names were taken...lol. Odelle was the name of a cat I lost last year. My avatar is a good resemblance to my current kitty but here name, Mimi, was also taken.

One thing I found with my alcohol addiction is that the older I get, the longer it takes for me to bounce back after a bender. In my 20s-30s, one day and I was good to go. In my 40s, three days and I was great. Now at 50, 2 weeks before I felt "good".

Have a save and sober Thursday everyone!
Beautiful Kitty!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Wino, Have you ever tried AA. It is very welcoming. Don't be afraid. Easier said than done. I am afraid to do all sorts of things. But Wino that is what holds us back. Most alcoholics are full of fear.

It may take going to a few therapists to get one you click with. Whatever you do, if you don't click with the first one, don't assume you won't click with others.
Hey ..precious.....yes I've been to two meetings...but this is since November. I really have to make it a priority. I went to speaker meetings but I think I should go to a beginners meeting....I guess I'm uncomfortable. You are right about the alcohol making me fearful....I never was before I became a heavy drinking. It made me moody..grumpy...fearful..lonely, isolated..a liar.... I can go on....I am on day two.. feeling better than yesterday...in a house full of alcohol BC I'm house/ dog sitting...I don't even want it. One more day and I'll b home. Thank you all so much. Its nice not to feel alone. Non alcoholics really don't understand
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TypicalPisces View Post
Still pacing myself and easing into the transition. Being ***GUNGHO*** doesn't work for me (ie: overdoing activities and whatnot). I'm keeping it simple with my scheduling. Deep cleaning and purging old clothes. Pulling out clutter to donate or trash. Basic organization. And of course, checking in here.
Ditto on the organization, I've been making bi-weekly trips to the dollar store to buy more organizational bins, writing out to do lists and deep cleaning my house one room at a time.

Day 12 here. Finally got my creative spark back. Last time I got sober for two months I opened an online handmade accessories business but neglected it when I relapsed and during the first 11 days but finally last night I made some new earrings last night and feel really happy about it.

And last but not least!!!!! Venus! Yay! So excited for you- hope the first day goes well, keep us updated
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay close Tick
My energy levels took a while to come back Pamel - stick with it

Welcome Guitarman - I don't think any of us are simple cliches - each journey is complex and each one a little different. The point is we're all in this together regardless

PK - great message!

hecks to the yizness? lol

D
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wino1234 View Post
Hey ..precious.....yes I've been to two meetings...but this is since November. I really have to make it a priority. I went to speaker meetings but I think I should go to a beginners meeting....I guess I'm uncomfortable. You are right about the alcohol making me fearful....I never was before I became a heavy drinking. It made me moody..grumpy...fearful..lonely, isolated..a liar.... I can go on....I am on day two.. feeling better than yesterday...in a house full of alcohol BC I'm house/ dog sitting...I don't even want it. One more day and I'll b home. Thank you all so much. Its nice not to feel alone. Non alcoholics really don't understand
Be careful if you have alcohol around. Do the best you cab to avoid being anywhere near it for a while.

I thought it was the last thing I wanted for a while (esp in the beginning when i was "done") but it can have a way of sneaking up on you.

Just wanted you to be aware that may happen.

Chin up Wino. Please tell us some good things about you.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Hecks to the yizzess!
NS - Just printed out about a 50 page Crash Course on AVRT. Shhhhhh... All I can say is that Beast in me must be HUGEMONGUS (if thats a word). Kill the Beast !
Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
Ditto on the organization, I've been making bi-weekly trips to the dollar store to buy more organizational bins, writing out to do lists and deep cleaning my house one room at a time.

Day 12 here. Finally got my creative spark back. Last time I got sober for two months I opened an online handmade accessories business but neglected it when I relapsed and during the first 11 days but finally last night I made some new earrings last night and feel really happy about it.

And last but not least!!!!! Venus! Yay! So excited for you- hope the first day goes well, keep us updated
You guys are seriously inspiring me. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Preciouskitty - My guilt about the kids comes from knowing i have set a horrible example for the past ten years. I am hoping getting my life under control will help them also. They are good men, have responsible jobs and both make very good money but I know if they continue on the path they are on they will end up with alcohol being a central part of their lives, robbing them of everything else of value.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Pamel - my energy may be better but my eyesight is still suffering!
I am having eyesight issues as well, + the fatigue; thanks for reminding me it takes time...

Day 8 almost complete...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
NS - Just printed out about a 50 page Crash Course on AVRT. Shhhhhh... All I can say is that Beast in me must be HUGEMONGUS (if thats a word). Kill the Beast !
What's AVRT???
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Administrator

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique - it's the main platform of Rational Recovery.

Check out the Secular Connections forum - you'll find a lot of info down there

D
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Sounds like your the man.TomJ!
Thank you PK - you put a good feeling tear in my eye. Your right about situations passing. Isn't it always like that. Like you say we just need to be strong! Have faith - trust in God. You can do it PK.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

PreciousKitty said:
Wino, Have you ever tried AA. It is very welcoming. Don't be afraid. Easier said than done.
It took me months to get in the door of my first meeting.
My therapist finally got me to go. Here's how:
She asked me if I could just go sit in my car about 10 minutes before the meeting and watch people go in. So that's what I did - about 4 or 5 times.
Finally, a couple weeks ago, I made it in to the meeting. Now I'm ready to really give it a go. I mean get to meetings regularly. Maybe even talk to people there! HA!
Mainly because nothing else has worked for me. Nothing.