Notices

Class of February 2013 part 2

Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I just got out of a good job interview. It was more of a conversational interview before the official interview. We talked for 4 hours! Now it is time to wait and wait. I actually had a thought pop in my head after the interview of "go celebrate at a bar and have a beer or two." But I quickly shot that idea down because there is no way I can have just one or two beers. I am not able to moderate. And even if I could moderate, why do I need drug to celebrate? Our brains are capable of producing highs that are natural and have no side effects. I am looking forward to my run tomorrow when I will get a nice flow of endorphins.

I hope everyone else is doing ok. This support group has truly been helping me. I look forward to checking in on here and I admire you all for choosing a better life. I am excited to go to bed tonight and to wake up tomorrow sober!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Checking in on my day 17.

Although it feels great to be sober for this long, I haven't missed it much during the week. I seem to be in a routine now at home where there are times I don't even seem to think about it. Weekends and social events are another story. I'm so relieved that I decided to stop drinking after the holiday season had ended. (it was partly my drunken behavior over the holidays that led me to my decision to quit!)

Melissa, your post struck a cord with me. When you said you didn't fit in at school growing up, but then later in life you were social and outgoing. I found some of myself with that post. I had trouble fitting in during my earlier school years. In college, I learned that alcohol helped me fit in and made me more confident socially. Now, I too am worried about being the outsider again by being the sober one.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Hi all, I've been on SR a while now, June group to start then September and now February if you'll have me. I have a great affection for my previous classes and I still visit September always. I think I need more help now as I'm having trouble staying sober, this is my last day 1. I was sad and upset yesterday with many things and chose to drink again. This has to be the last time, no more remorse or regrets now.

Thanks Jim
Welcome Jimuk
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clarity713 View Post
Checking in on my day 17.

Although it feels great to be sober for this long, I haven't missed it much during the week. I seem to be in a routine now at home where there are times I don't even seem to think about it. Weekends and social events are another story. I'm so relieved that I decided to stop drinking after the holiday season had ended. (it was partly my drunken behavior over the holidays that led me to my decision to quit!)

Melissa, your post struck a cord with me. When you said you didn't fit in at school growing up, but then later in life you were social and outgoing. I found some of myself with that post. I had trouble fitting in during my earlier school years. In college, I learned that alcohol helped me fit in and made me more confident socially. Now, I too am worried about being the outsider again by being the sober one.
I've also thought about how drinking made me fit in but the more I think about I like being in outsider in the sense of becoming the best person I can be. There are plenty of other ways to fit in with people other than drinking but it just takes more work. My hope is that I will be able to build a group of friends around something more meaningful than alcohol.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Newbie Joining February Class

Hi all, I have been lurking for months and decided to officially join today and would like to join your class. My official sobriety date is February 6, 2013, making it two weeks today. I have had a problem with alcohol since age 16, binging on weekends until the last 5-6 years when it gradually became daily. I was up to a bottle of wine week nights and often 2 bottles on the weekends. I managed to quit last summer for 6 weeks, but fell back into the trap of thinking I could moderate.

I am a 50 y/o woman, married to a non drinker, with two adult children. My father was an alcoholic, with many alcoholics on both sides of my parents families.

I would love to join in for support and encouragement as I am not getting any younger and its time to put this beast to rest.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and to this thread Odelle - it's great to have you here

D
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Welcome Odell, your story sounds familiar, you'll fit right in =)

Just checking in. Busy night at the restaurant- I always feel a little jazzed afterwards, it takes me a little while to stop thinking about drinking when I get home, old patterns.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone, have a great Wednesday! Day2 for me starting to feel better and very positive I can beat this thing.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Hi all, I have been lurking for months and decided to officially join today and would like to join your class. My official sobriety date is February 6, 2013, making it two weeks today. I have had a problem with alcohol since age 16, binging on weekends until the last 5-6 years when it gradually became daily. I was up to a bottle of wine week nights and often 2 bottles on the weekends. I managed to quit last summer for 6 weeks, but fell back into the trap of thinking I could moderate.

I am a 50 y/o woman, married to a non drinker, with two adult children. My father was an alcoholic, with many alcoholics on both sides of my parents families.

I would love to join in for support and encouragement as I am not getting any younger and its time to put this beast to rest.
Welcome to our group!!!

Lots in common with you....same age, same problem with wine....understand the need to "put the beast to rest" at our age, so glad we all get to do this together...you have all of our support Odelle!!

Venus xx
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday people! On day 4 and feeling really positive Turned down a glass of wine last night when out with colleagues and was worried they would ask why but no one said a thing!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sobruarians!

The last day I drank I had 4 bottles of wine, a pint of Jack, and a 6-pack of IPA. I need to remind myself of that because my AV keeps trying to tell me its not a problem.

Day 23 and feeling delightful! It's a short month, but Dee74 had to break the thread it was so dang big. That's awesome. You guys are awesome. You inspire me!

Let's keep it going for another day! We can do this!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
ub3

Feeling naughty today... Just got thrown out of group for looking at my phone... bummer lol...Nearly finished my day program only got 3 weeks left need to prepare for the next phase of my development...I find this **** quite scary living life on lifes terms.. but its progrss not prefection... thank God i know im not perfect far from it...Im a nutter thats been given a secound chance it dayt 12 now that im living in the solution its all about improving my life and not distructing it PRAISE GOOD GOD FOR THIS HOPLESS CASE
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Been meaning to check in all day. Day 3. Doing well. Mustn't get complacent. Must stay sober. Sending everyone good vibes. Keep sober peeps.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi mainza glad your interview went well.

I slipped up, had awful interview for a job that wasnt anything like what id thought it would be. Went straight to a bar, im sorry i just felt so low after thinking my life was gonna be turned around. Blacked out after first bar and have lost all my certificates and job stuff, dont have a clue where i have been. I should have just come home and written my emotions down on here.

WHY? do i do this to myself?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hang in there 1SP, hope you find your certificates mate. Life's bleeding tough at times hey, pick yourself up, dust off and carry on mate.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks jim, im trying sooo hard today to stay sober its normally a classic reason for me to get bladdered again but i know ive GOT to stop this vicious cycle. Think il just stay in today and drink loads of water and think about getting the lost things back tommorrow.

The horrible part is i have no idea where i went after that first bar or how i got how i got home-n how scary is that?!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Thanks jim, im trying sooo hard today to stay sober its normally a classic reason for me to get bladdered again but i know ive GOT to stop this vicious cycle. Think il just stay in today and drink loads of water and think about getting the lost things back tommorrow.

The horrible part is i have no idea where i went after that first bar or how i got how i got home-n how scary is that?!
I am very sorry to hear about that 1stepup. I am happy that you are still with us in the group and it is great you came back here. I have had numerous nights where I have no idea where I went, what I did, who I saw or what I said. Waking up in the morning after a blackout is a nightmare and the only way to prevent that is to live a sober life. I believe that you can do it but it will take a plan and I think you are on the right track by getting involved in this forum. There is great support here. We have all slipped up before but what really matters is what you are going to do about it now. You will feel better tomorrow. Get some rest, good food, and drink water.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

This is so embarrassing.. back to day one! This disease is frightening. Spoke to my girlfriend. I think I need to see a therapist. I don't want to drink anymore. Its taking so much from my life. Thinking of a new name in place of wino....at gym now
.trying to feel better. So depressed
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey Wino, nothing to be embarrassed about, I've been trying to get sober for months and have lost count of the day 1's. This time though my friend I'm going to nail this thing.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Wino,

We have all had lots of day 1's. It's what you learn after. Keep your sights on what is truly important to you. Yesterday is just yesterday.