Notices

Class of February 2013 part 2

Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by bunny44 View Post
Drinking is fun. Drinking makes us better people. It is all lies. "The Beast" is an accurate name for the voice as it is the Satan side of us sitting happily aside watching us poison ourselves to death.

I know there is NOTHING alcohol can do to better my life. Not one thing can it offer me but pain. I no longer will allow it to hurt me. I will no longer forgive it for beating me up. I choose to leave this horrible relationship on my terms, now.

You can too!

xxoo
Hi Bunny,

Thank you for your insightful words....thank you for sharing this with us.....I too choose to leave this horrible destructive relationship!!!!

Life is filled with challenges, why oh why would you want to add heartbreak and desperation and despair into the mix by continuing to torture yourself? Why did I continue to poison myself and my life for so very long?

Because this is a progressive destructive devastating illness....but we have a chance to beat it if we can just manage to not pick up a drink, one day at a time.

Hope your new job is going well!!!

Day 18 today...job interview for some house cleaning work....I need to keep it simple....still a massive amount of physical healing to do. As for the emotional struggles I'm going through; last night I was very upset, lots of problems (not surprising), and I ended up in bed with the BB and read the third step prayer over and over...it helped.

Hope all of our class has a good day/night

Love Venus xx
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Good night all x
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by TypicalPisces View Post
My story isn’t one that’s unique. It’s not even one that’s dramatic. It’s filled with booze, hangovers, self-hatred, depression and anxiety. And worst of all, isolation. Throw in a bad divorce, being the only parent involved with the children (the biological father walked out on us and choose partying & loose women over family) and no outside help.

It’s a sad swirly I’ve gotten myself into, but only I can change it. I have to start somewhere.

Today is my Day 1. 2-19-13 was my last drink. Thank you for having me.
So glad to have you in our February group,

Congratulations on Day 1 !!!! Tons of strength , love and support here; this place has kind of saved my life....thinking of you today...

Venus xx
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Day 18 today...job interview for some house cleaning work....I need to keep it simple....still a massive amount of physical healing to do. As for the emotional struggles I'm going through; last night I was very upset, lots of problems (not surprising), and I ended up in bed with the BB and read the third step prayer over and over...it helped.

Hope all of our class has a good day/night

Love Venus xx
Good luck on the interview. You are so right, keep it simple. Right now is keeping a comfort zone around us while we keep moving forward. Baby steps are still steps.

Much Love!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

good wishes Venus

D
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

End of day. Day 4 tomorrow. Getting closer to the weekend. First sober weekend for some time. Will be fun. Good night sober mates!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Hi TP, it's great that you are here among friends that want to help each other. It's only my day 2 so let's walk this together day by day.
Thank you. I will gladly walk beside you all. I fancy a nice stroll most any day. :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

So glad to have you in our February group,

Congratulations on Day 1 !!!! Tons of strength , love and support here; this place has kind of saved my life....thinking of you today...

Venus xx
Thanks to you and PreciousKitty for the welcome. I really appreciate it. I am glad to be spending the first day of this transition with you all.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread typical pisces

D
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
End of day. Day 4 tomorrow. Getting closer to the weekend. First sober weekend for some time. Will be fun. Good night sober mates!
For me too. I have already picked out a couple of books to catch up on. I'm not going to stress about it too hard. Easy said, I know. But? I'm looking forward to it. I like a good challenge. Sounds like you do too. I'll be around if you need support.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome to the thread typical pisces

D
Hey thanks, Dee! I appreciate it. I'm learning my way around here. I might holler if I get stuck. :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Day 5 and going strong. I just had a couple of 10 hr days at work with hours of meetings and lots of face time with others. It was good not to be hung over or thinking about getting home for a few drinks. I have gotten better at recognizing the AV for what it is and just dealing with it. The idea that there is a beast in my brain wanting to drink is a lot easier to deal with than all the years I have just thought I was a weak and bad person.

Sure I still think about drinking but now can look at this as my AV tyring to get its needs met even if they are not what is best for me and my life.

Both my adult sons have alcohol issues and every time I am with them we party like there is no tomorrow. I have not told them I have stopped drinking but want my sobriety to be an encouragement to them. I have had too many people preach to me about drinking to think that will work with others. I just want to set an example that I can be around, have fun and be the real me without booze.

Every chance I get I am either reading or on this forum. Especially in the evenings which were my time to drink and watch tv. I am currently reading DRY by Augusten Burroughs and really enjoying it. What a great writer. I have laughed out loud of his descriptions of rehab and felt such empathy as he deals with his drinking life. I would highly recommend this book for the lessons learned as well as the entertainment factor.

Good luck and God bless all of you.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 5! I was a TV drinker too. Not sure why, but I was. I am currently sitting here creating a reading list of books I've been wanting to read, but haven't. :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Day 18 today...job interview for some house cleaning work....I need to keep it simple....still a massive amount of physical healing to do. As for the emotional struggles I'm going through; last night I was very upset, lots of problems (not surprising
V, congrats on the interview! Keep my fingers crossed for you.

If you need someone to talk to about your emotional struggles I'm here for you whether it be in the forum or in a PM.

Day 18- you're doing great. Almost to 3 weeks! Sending good vibes your way
Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

wow I was close tonight... so close.... Came out of the blue. Took about 30 min trying to slow my breathing and relax. I am so glad that helped. On to day 9 tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Booniecat,
My boys are addicts too. It took me a long time to admit I was an addict/alcohoic because I felt like a terrible mother. Now I know god gave me this to help my kids through their disease.

It was so hard to admit it at the time but now that I have admitted it, it helps to know I HAVE to be the example. Sometimes I regret it (when I want to drink) but overall it has helped me tremendously to stay sober.

My son has been court ordered, but It has been pretty cool going to aa meetings with him.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

almost 24 hours. my hands have stopped trembling. Have to stay at work for a couple more hours, then go home let the dogs out and sleep. I get so anxious to even think about sleeping, but since I worked almost 14 hours, hopefully I will just crash. I am just trying to take it one minute at a time. I dont like this day 1 feeling. Thank you everyone for your support. I want to and need to do this. I keep syaing to myself if I drink (even to feel better) i am slowly killing myself. I will not let this disease take over anymore of my life. I need to find a therapist. How do I know if they are good? What do I say when I call. Feels uncomfortable, i guess that is why I havent done it yet. Any suggestions.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always found the best approach was telling the truth wino - however hard it might be at the time, it really is best to just be very honest about how bad things get.

No one will judge you or move to lock you away

D
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Morning all, have a great sober Thursday. Now is the time to start planning the weekend to avoid any slip ups. Catch up later.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Booniecat View Post
The idea that there is a beast in my brain wanting to drink is a lot easier to deal with than all the years I have just thought I was a weak and bad person.
Amen, my friend. Upon this discovery I immediately shifted from half-loathing myself to loathing half of myself. That might read like it's just a semantics shift, but it made a HUGE difference to me emotionally.

I suppose the positive spin would be that I shifted from being only half empowered to having half of me be empowered. That empowered half is doing fine, gaining ground, and has everything it needs to keep my Beast in line for the 24th straight day today.

I am no longer the prey, cowering in the corner from the voice in my head. I am the predator.

Let's hit this weekend at full strength Sobrinators! We can do this!