Notices

Class of April 2010

Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayinfree View Post

Did a sponsered 5 mile walk today with 2 of my dogs, wasn't really up to it but had promised....so just managed it...coming into the home stretch, walked past a group of about 20 people standing outside the pub, drinking....then tripped over the darn dogs feet and was sprawled out on the ground...sooo embarrasing but stopped me wishing I was there!!!! In fact I couldn't wait to get away:rotfxko
Hi Stayinfree, that is too funny! Help comes in mysterious ways sometimes LOL!

Kyb, thanks for asking!

I thought I was on day 29, but it's actually day 30!! Had to count twice, I'm seriously starting to think I'm dyslexic with numbers or something

So needless to say I'm thrilled, still can't see myself drinking and still loving that feeling. I hope it never goes away!
Unfortunately my sinuses (allergie + cold = vicious circle) have been bothering me big time for the last ten days, so wasn't feeling a 100%. Finally went to the doc on friday and starting to get better.
Past out on my couch at 8.30 last night due to babysitting 2 of my friends kids for a night and day + my own son and probably the allergy meds.

My biggest frustration tonight is that I'm out of tea! I was really thinking of running to the nightstore to get some, but I'm not gonna. What a difference compared to a month ago, the guy from the nightstore probably thinks I moved away haha!

Hug to all of you! x
Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

UBC good to see you back. You're the founder of this thread, so if you went AWOL it would leave a big hole here.

As for me I'm three weeks sober today!

Strange how for years, I thought I was destined to be an alcoholic for the rest of my life, how I didn't have anywhere near the willpower to stop, how I couldn't imagine a future withouth booze. And then one day I just decided, I don't want to drink anymore and haven't.

My nights don't seem empty, I just surf the internet more, (and eat, hehehe) and it almost seems like I never drank.

One of the things that I always found the most daunting about giving up drink, was the thought of vacations in the future. Strange isn't it? But dreaming of vacations, was always something that helped me through my daily grind. And if I'm on vacation I AM DRINKING! But in a short period of time, I've accepted the fact I can have vacations without booze (in my mind anyways, haven't tested the real thing, it will be a challenge).

Just rambling out loud, wondering if anybody can relate.

So, great work Freshies, good to see so many people staying strong. We have a bond here that is really special and something that I value alot.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Day 22

I went 3 weeks in February, but caved on the 21st day, so today marks the longest I've gone in over a year. The next milestone, unfortunately, is like a year away, but when I've made it to 365 days, then I'll have serious cause to celebrate (longest sober since I started drinking at age 15).

I had my first real test last night, actually. There was no alcohol around, but I was watching a movie where everyone was drinking alot, characters I found interesting and liked, and I thought "what if I just let this whole thing go for another year or something?" I started to feel bad that I wouldn't be able to get that old glow going, listening to classical music, being an interesting and complex emotional guy, all that crap.

I had to commend my addiction. It had a good speech prepared, and got me at a vulnerable moment. Unfortunately for the motives of my alcoholism, however, these thoughts led into a review of years past, and all the obviously problem drinking I had done, but hadn't been honest with myself about. I felt a little angry, because no one along the way ever even suggested that I had a problem. Makes me appreciate other alcoholics more, definitely. They are not so afraid to stop you from lying to yourself, because only they really know what you're going through.

So, I'm here at Day 22, still Totalling the Tees, and enjoying another day of sobriety. Thanks everyone.

Rev
Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Great work Andi, I'm right behind you!

My biggest frustration tonight is that I'm out of tea! I was really thinking of running to the nightstore to get some, but I'm not gonna. What a difference compared to a month ago, the guy from the nightstore probably thinks I moved away haha!
That's too funny. I've walked by my old bottle shop a few times and seen the clerk give me a bit of a quizical "you've taken your business to the shop down the road mate?" look.

Nice work Rev, it's funny what triggers us isn't it? I've had a tv session or two, admiring the beautiful people drink responsbility wondering why I can't be like that.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Great on the 3 weeks Marlow!
As for the vacations I can't relate, those were about the only times I drank moderately, startling everyone arund me LOL!

Woohoo Rev, so happy that you got past day 21, don't forget though, your next reason to celebrate is tomorrow...not 365 days from now!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

day 10

Wow! Good job everyone! From 4 days to 30. So proud of you all. Keep it up.

Glad to hear everyone's Sunday is going well. Mine's not going so well. The roller coaster is going down big time today. Very tired and depressed. I think I'm starting to see that the two are related.

Not having urges or even thinking about drinking. Just want to crawl in bed for the rest of the day but it's only 2PM here.

Catch up with you all tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The highlight of my day......my AA morning meeting....

An AA member returned victorious after a cancer operation
still sober......36 years. Mary is a true recovery miracle.

One of our newer members....21 and very shy.....picked up his
3 months chip He usually passes rather than speak in meetings
But he comes daily.

Mary and John .....excellent examples of AA in action
And they could not be more different

All my best to y'all as you continue to move forward
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

I have to just say - I'm loving this thread. I feel I am among friends who get it and get me. I enjoy reading and posting the good days and bad days as it is part of recovery.

Aside from my hubby....well I don't discuss my recovery with anyone else because either they have shown no interest or the minute I say something about feeling a bit down they roll look at me like I am going to hit the bottle. Of course it angers me but I forgive them in my head because they don't know any better. They don't understand addiction and not everyone has an open mind.

My recovery has been eye opening in that I really coming to terms with why I started drinking, my mentally abusive ex, what things I want to achieve in life and tons of reading on staying sober.

I am glad to have all of you here (yes I am tearing at writing this) because I know you understand. In my personal life many are quick to blast me for drinking and think that I am pathetic for not being able to just stop. They don't understand that there isn't just a switch to turn it off and that drinking while somewhat of an illness also stems from other underlying causes. I drank because I was unhappy with myself and at the peak of drinking.....I honestly didn't care about anything.

What I have done quite a bit of (with the help from counseling) is to do self-forgiveness. I am my own worst enemy in that I beat myself up for past decisions. Sadly the drinking only worsens that negativity.

I feel stronger now than I have in 10 years guys. Seriously.....emotional/mentally happier as though the haze is gone. I am someone who needs answers on things and it has been rattling me that I relapsed. Why? Not that I am dwelling but wanting to learn from it and I think I know why. It was my first go at sobriety and I didn't continue with support and I didn't fully understand that recovery is life long. I quit the booze but felt so tired that I didn't start making the real changes in my life that go along with sobriety.

Just had to get that off my chest guys....

Have a blessed day!! Kim
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hi. I'm a latecomer and I've been sober 9 days. Starting to feel a bit better, although I'm still having night sweats (charmed, I'm sure). Good to be here.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hi box,

It's good to have you here too!

Morning everyone, hope you enjoy your day :-)
Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Good Morning all!

Welcome Box...I've just joined too....soo many pages to catch up with!

Lovely sunny morning here in Bonnie Scotland...Bank Holiday too, so will be spending my day planting flowers in tubs.

Have a great day x
Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Good morning to everyone. Had pretty hectic and frustrating weekend. I got in one on those irritable moods, tired and just grouchy. My computer, rather wireless connection stopped working at home. Kids not sleeping through the night. Several other things. Was able to make it without picking up. Got to a couple meetings and did some praying. Glad to read and get caught up with everyone here on SR.
Look forward to reading and doing some typing later on in the day.
Welcome to all the newcomers.

Thanks
Dean
Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Morning all! Made it through the weekend, got a craving last night that I shook off and went and found an orange to eat instead. Today is day 6 and my first time in MONTHS I'll be going out without having one of my teens drive for me so I can run my errands, I'm excited and nervous. I've been looking forward to it all weekend though, knowing I can drive and not be risking lives or tickets. And since I'm saving a rear end load of money on alcohol, gonna treat myself to a manicure and hair cut. lol I hope you all have a great day!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Things have been going amazing, I cannot remember the last time I felt this energized and enthusiastic about life.

Everyone stay strong and keep it real!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  
learning

Still here and still sober.

A very special person to me just died, so I'm really feeling a ton of sandess today.

Goodbye my dear friend...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Still in the Club?

Well, I am on day 3 again. Had a strong 10 day run in April, but was not consistant and didn't come here enough. Made some bad decisions and crawled into my beer bottles yet again. Came here yesterday to read from the folks who understand best what I am going through. I told my wife that it is amazing how you feel so disappointed in yourself for drinking, but when your doing it, you feel powerless not too. It's that one critical first decision to open that bottle and take a drink that starts the roller coaster down the first hill for me. Here's to making that first hill climb much, much longer this time. Thank you for your support and I can't tell you how much this site means to me. Take care.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
Just had to get that off my chest guys....

Have a blessed day!! Kim
Totally know what you mean. It makes a big difference having people who understand. They help open the door to forgiving yourself in a way that most people just can't.

Rev
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bartender129 View Post
Still here and still sober.

A very special person to me just died, so I'm really feeling a ton of sandess today.

Goodbye my dear friend...

So sorry to hear bartender, my condolences.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haon View Post
Well, I am on day 3 again. Had a strong 10 day run in April, but was not consistant and didn't come here enough. Made some bad decisions and crawled into my beer bottles yet again. Came here yesterday to read from the folks who understand best what I am going through. I told my wife that it is amazing how you feel so disappointed in yourself for drinking, but when your doing it, you feel powerless not too. It's that one critical first decision to open that bottle and take a drink that starts the roller coaster down the first hill for me. Here's to making that first hill climb much, much longer this time. Thank you for your support and I can't tell you how much this site means to me. Take care.
Hello Haon,

I hope you'll be able to forgive yourself soon, I know it really sucks having been in that position myself. I think it's great that you're back and going for it again so rapidly, took me a lot longer to give it another shot after relapsing.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Day 11

Glad to hear that everyone "made it" and had a good weekend. The highlight of my morning is to come here and see who has posted while I was sleeping.

Kmber I can so relate to a lot of what you posted.

Bartender so sorry to hear that.

Slept a little better last night so I'm feeling a little better this morning. I thought alcohol was a depressant so not that I'm not drinking anymore :wtf2

Well have a great day everyone.