View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Day 22

I went 3 weeks in February, but caved on the 21st day, so today marks the longest I've gone in over a year. The next milestone, unfortunately, is like a year away, but when I've made it to 365 days, then I'll have serious cause to celebrate (longest sober since I started drinking at age 15).

I had my first real test last night, actually. There was no alcohol around, but I was watching a movie where everyone was drinking alot, characters I found interesting and liked, and I thought "what if I just let this whole thing go for another year or something?" I started to feel bad that I wouldn't be able to get that old glow going, listening to classical music, being an interesting and complex emotional guy, all that crap.

I had to commend my addiction. It had a good speech prepared, and got me at a vulnerable moment. Unfortunately for the motives of my alcoholism, however, these thoughts led into a review of years past, and all the obviously problem drinking I had done, but hadn't been honest with myself about. I felt a little angry, because no one along the way ever even suggested that I had a problem. Makes me appreciate other alcoholics more, definitely. They are not so afraid to stop you from lying to yourself, because only they really know what you're going through.

So, I'm here at Day 22, still Totalling the Tees, and enjoying another day of sobriety. Thanks everyone.

Rev