Notices

Food detox

Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I stick with whole wheat.

It doesn't matter what I eat...I'm always hungry.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hi Bam

If you're always hungry, maybe you could try switching to a low GI, high protein diet? Low GI foods will stabilise your blood sugar and stop the massive glucose swings which in turn cause cravings, and high protein (lean red meat, chicken, nuts, beans, lentils, tofu, eggs, fish, etc) will fill you up and make you feel more satiated. I couldn't survive on just Wheatbix for breakfast, I like to eat wholegrain rolled oats with nuts, pepitas and sunflower seeds mixed with yogurt and blueberries; yummy and low GI.

I give myself one 'cheat' day where I can eat anything I like, in moderation, this helps keep me on track. I've lost 6 kilograms in 3 months. I see food as fuel now.

Edited to add: I exercise too, this is pretty important, although some sources claim that diet contributes to 80% of weight loss.

Last edited by box3; 11-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I stick with whole wheat.

It doesn't matter what I eat...I'm always hungry.
I'm always hungry too....but I've discovered it's not always food I am truly hungry for.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Weight Watchers recommends one helping of whole grains per day, so I usually have some 7-grain or wheat toast for breakfast, or a cereal, or use grain breads to make a sandwich for lunch. Gotta admit that bread is another one of my eating addictions, but I try to stick with the healthier versions, not the white breads.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

bam -

when I got sober
I was hungry constantly as well.
and it lasted for over a year
until I finallygot a proper blood test
and the doc found I was hypothyroid.

So when my body was screamingfor food
it was really yelling for energy.

have you had a recent blood exam?

other than the old 'switching addictions' thing
that we all have to be careful of
(if I come on here saying I've bought a horse, y'all know I'm inBIG trouble)
I think it's worthwhile to get that checked out.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Oh...food was a big problem way before and during my alcohol time. I think that's why it's so hard....and I crashed and burned tonight. I was at work and I gave up and had some ice cream (along with all the other food I ate)...and then I grabbed three 'fun size' bars and downed those when I got home.

Everytime I've had blood work done they tell my my thyroid is fine. WTF? Something is going on...this isn't a simple matter of indulging just to indulge.

When I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, the first two weeks were fantastic. One of the side effects was that it cut my cravings down to near-zero...and my appetite was under control. I felt like a normal eater for once. Too bad the effects didn't last longer. Now I'm on an even higher dosage...but no wonderful side effects.

I don't know what to do. I feel hungry almost all the time...and I feel like I'm a prisoner of food. Even if I'm eating healthy things...things with protein and whatnot...it's never enough. WTF? I'm going to get blood drawn next week...at least they'll be able to tell me if I have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm not giving up...I'm reevaluating the pressure I'm giving myself to be 'perfect' in having no sweets. Perhaps putting the focus elsewhere...and making sure I don't beat myself up when I slip will help.

Quitting drinking was very hard...it was a rough ride...especially for the last two years. I still have to stay on my toes for that. When I quit drinking at the very end of March I was really ready to quit...I needed to get my depression in check and I wanted to change my life. I still want to change my life. I'm proud of the 7 months I have and I'm proud that I took the initiative to get help. I accomplished a lot this year...am I trying to do too much by adding on the stress over food?

Yes, I want to lose weight for vanity/self-esteem reasons...but there's inescapable health complications waiting for me if I don't do something soon. The number one reason I need to and want to do this is for physical health reasons...and also the hope that getting better physically will help my depression.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I really do believe getting in shape helps the depression, its bound to: looking good and feeling great. Mind you I need an extra long walk later, I indulged in a Big Mac and large fries last night and I could have eaten 3. Seriously
Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mergirl

I have hypothyroid, unfortunately the diagnosis and replacement therapy did nothing for my weight issues .

I just got on the scale eeeeek. I too am always hungry kbam, and I have to carry portable snacks for work. WW used to have a program called core, where you got to eat as much as you liked of certain foods (lean protein, ff dairy, fruits and veggies), and I liked that one (no points to count). I have to figure out how to make that one more portable again. I have to say, when I was home all day it was pretty easy to stick too because I could endlessly eat chicken, tuna and fruit.

The other thing that totally started my weight loss, was walking twice around the block every day.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I went to the G-store today and actually bought some fruit and veggies........and a small bag of M&M's.... ............I am going to ease into this.
Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Was it the small BIG bag or the small small bag?

(That totally cracked me up!)
Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dieting sucks. No doubt about it. But it saves me from my former drinking buddies. They would not listen if I said i was a drunk and not drinking anymore, so I tell them I'm on a diet and can't drink anymore. THAT, they respect. Go figure.
My sister went on Michael Thumond 6 week body makeover and she dropped a staggering amount of weight. You eat 6 times a day - small meals. I'm all for eating every few hours. Of course you prolly have to watch what you eat every few hours. That's the suckie part. <Sigh>
At least we all share this.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Sikkisirus View Post
I really do believe getting in shape helps the depression, its bound to: looking good and feeling great.
I agree. I also seem to have much more energy, so all those feelings combined motivate me to persevere and stay as fit and healthy as possible.

I also find it helpful to plan meals that I'm excited about cooking and eating. If the fridge is full of boring foods I'm much more likely to pick up junk food on the way home.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"that diet contributes to 80% of weight loss". I love how different programs make some of their claims; especially on late night infomercials. Just eating healthy in general and a good exercise program works. Diet in the weight loss industry has come to mean privation and a temporary chang in what you eat; it shouldn't. Quality of calories not quantity should be the focus. Unless you are an athlete model or actor, you really don't need to do any thing that sadistic to yourself. Any short term diet that promises incredible results will not work; or it will be unhealthy and more than likely to make you yoyo. The key is permanent lifestyle change.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Note to self: Give up career as model, athlete and actor.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I just woke up...finally got some good sleep in...I've been having a lot of trouble. I should have a plan for today but I really don't...other than don't go to the store and buy junk. Doesn't matter...someone bought 2 things of ice cream last night....and it's just sitting there... *sigh* :/
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

When I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, the first two weeks were fantastic. One of the side effects was that it cut my cravings down to near-zero...and my appetite was under control. I felt like a normal eater for once. Too bad the effects didn't last longer. Now I'm on an even higher dosage...but no wonderful side effects.
I was actually going to say something about Wellbutrin because my friend who binge and purges a lot basically got full relief when she went back on wellbutrin. But along those lines have you told your psychiatrist about your appetite? She/he might be able to do something biochemically about it. It is really strange people always say SSRIs make you gain weight but I went down on my zoloft for a month and I couldn't sleep, felt depressed, and was eating non-stop and ended up gaining a lot of wait in a short period of time— then I went back up and poof back to normal appetite. I feel like I was eating to make myself feel better or something but then the zoloft did it for me and I could stop eating so much. It was weird.

But yeah junk food is no good. I must say though that I vote for moderation. If you go too strict on yourself you will fall off that wagon fast or just stop eating entirely. Maybe frosted mini-wheats for breakfast?(Wheetabix just seems gross by itself— actually maybe if you put banana and cinnamon on it, it might get better) Or better would be scrambled eggs with a little bit of cheese. I would just focus on eating wholesome foods that come from the earth and not overly processed. I even think hashbrowns are a-okay because they are potatoes as long as you keep the portion size down (although I suppose hashbrowns are different from mom's kitchen or mcdonalds). Brown rice is so good. I feel so much better when I eat well and drink lots of water; granted I don't always do it. If you stay away from junk food long enough it will probably repulse you a little bit or at least you will feel the difference in your body when you eat it.

Maybe you should consider weight watchers; it is a really good program and really helps with the whole balance thing and giving structure. I think it is probably one of the best weight loss programs out there. If you go to the weekly meetings you might meet some new cool people too!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by ClosetExtrovert View Post
Note to self: Give up career as model, athlete and actor.
Plus size models and actors are always needed, and if you view competetive eating as a sport, there you go. You can do all three, and so can I!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
But along those lines have you told your psychiatrist about your appetite? She/he might be able to do something biochemically about it.
I've been going through my regular doc...but I do have an appointment with a psychologist mid December. As far as I know I'm getting to see...wait, just did a search. I told them I wanted to see a psychiatrist. They have me set up with a physicians assistant? I'm going to make a phone call. Excuse me for a bit.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I had been full circle years ago with weight......my thyroid ran amuck.....First I was hyper, than hypo....back and forth.....I swear I know what the change of life will be like!!!!! The thyroid dictates everything...temperature, moods, etc. My doc asked me if I still had a boyfriend and a job...........a screwed up thyroid can turn you into Helga the Horrible, that's for sure. Anyway, finally had the damn thing taken out........best thing I EVER did.......now it simply taking a thyroid med in the morning and checking it periodically......

I think eating for me is very emotional. I think that's where I get in trouble sometimes.........sometimes I just need to gnaw on something! Like a snickers........skittles........it relieves tension........

I don't touch things like that when I am drinking.......but now that I have stopped........oh boy. I do make myself feel guilty enough tho.......eat that snickers bar? Downstairs for a walk on the treadmill. I do make myself pay for it........hopefully I can maintain this way......who knows. My jeans will let me know....well, they are now.......can you say muffin top???????? LOL........gotta hate the muffin top.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Plus size models and actors are always needed, and if you view competetive eating as a sport, there you go. You can do all three, and so can I!
Let's GO baby! The ALWAYS need plus size actors to play the funny but supportive best friend in films!!!! I'm all over this. Competitive it is. I see you the two things of ice cream and raise you one full size snickers bar.

Too bad we can't avoid food like we can drugs and alcohol. But then again, a life without pumpkin spice lattes might not be worth living. I just have to decide whether elastic is a solution I can live with.