Thread: Food detox
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
When I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, the first two weeks were fantastic. One of the side effects was that it cut my cravings down to near-zero...and my appetite was under control. I felt like a normal eater for once. Too bad the effects didn't last longer. Now I'm on an even higher dosage...but no wonderful side effects.
I was actually going to say something about Wellbutrin because my friend who binge and purges a lot basically got full relief when she went back on wellbutrin. But along those lines have you told your psychiatrist about your appetite? She/he might be able to do something biochemically about it. It is really strange people always say SSRIs make you gain weight but I went down on my zoloft for a month and I couldn't sleep, felt depressed, and was eating non-stop and ended up gaining a lot of wait in a short period of time— then I went back up and poof back to normal appetite. I feel like I was eating to make myself feel better or something but then the zoloft did it for me and I could stop eating so much. It was weird.

But yeah junk food is no good. I must say though that I vote for moderation. If you go too strict on yourself you will fall off that wagon fast or just stop eating entirely. Maybe frosted mini-wheats for breakfast?(Wheetabix just seems gross by itself— actually maybe if you put banana and cinnamon on it, it might get better) Or better would be scrambled eggs with a little bit of cheese. I would just focus on eating wholesome foods that come from the earth and not overly processed. I even think hashbrowns are a-okay because they are potatoes as long as you keep the portion size down (although I suppose hashbrowns are different from mom's kitchen or mcdonalds). Brown rice is so good. I feel so much better when I eat well and drink lots of water; granted I don't always do it. If you stay away from junk food long enough it will probably repulse you a little bit or at least you will feel the difference in your body when you eat it.

Maybe you should consider weight watchers; it is a really good program and really helps with the whole balance thing and giving structure. I think it is probably one of the best weight loss programs out there. If you go to the weekly meetings you might meet some new cool people too!