Notices

Food detox

Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Okay...just got off the phone. I'm going to see a bona fide psychiatrist at the end of December. I feel sorry for those of you who have insurance...at least I don't have to deal with that. The whole reason I went yesterday to a mental health center was so I can see a psychiatrist...my regular doctor already gives me my meds, so why would I go to them to see an assistant?

Do they think I'm really that dumb?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by ClosetExtrovert View Post
Too bad we can't avoid food like we can drugs and alcohol. But then again, a life without pumpkin spice lattes might not be worth living. I just have to decide whether elastic is a solution I can live with.
If it came between the food and alcohol and being able to have it with no consequences I'd choose food hands down. Shoot...there's a brownie mix sitting on the counter (thanks, mom).
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
My jeans will let me know....well, they are now.......can you say muffin top???????? LOL........gotta hate the muffin top.

Ah, you folks are cracking me up.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm eating an apple...good start.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
The sales reps that visit our showroom used to bring in cakes, cookies, etc......we're gonna get them straightened out if it kills us. One guy shows up today with a strawberry pound cake...and a basket of bananas and grapes. Yeaaa, that's more like it!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
hypercube

"that diet contributes to 80% of weight loss"
ElegantlyWasted, I agree with your comments. The claim above is not something I've heard on late night television, however, and it doesn't refer to a diet, but diet: as in what you eat. Personally I don't believe in dieting, or quick weight loss 'solutions'. I don't believe in 'bad' food, but I do recognise that food has different nutritional qualities. I can't validate the claim, I don't have the evidence, and I suspect that people's bodies work in different ways.

I believe in fitness and nutrition. I make healthy eating choices and as a result I'm better able to manage my chronic health issues, including autoimmune hyperthyroid and depression. Ironically for me, I crave and eat more crap when I drink alcohol, as I stop listening to my body and my blood sugar is destabilised.

Also, being fit and healthy doesn't necessarily mean being thin, I know women who are very healthy and fit and carry a lot of fat, and women who are thin and very unfit and unhealthy.

Bam, you're doing great with your sobriety.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I totally agree that being healthy doesn't mean thin but in my weird little brain I would rather be thin than healthy.

Some great posts on here and I guess what most of them boil down to is this is a complicated and annoying issue.

I think I have mentioned somewhere else that I really hate the "just eat less and do exercise" response that a lot of overweight people have to deal with, it ranks (to me) alongside the advice to "just don't drink then", in that it is factually correct and utterly useless.

I personally am trying to train myself to see food as fuel and exercise as a thing I need to do to make my life longer and better but the disgust I feel for myself (over my lack of self control) colours everything.

Having had my little whinge I would also like to add that I haven't given up and more importantly I am starting to realise that being fat doesn't make me a bad person and the size jeans I am wearing isn't going to change my life
Old 11-14-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I have to lay it out there.......I really, really think society plays a big role in our opinion of what we think we should look like. Anorexic models (most of which are all about 15 yes old) plastered on the cover of magazines and advertisements on tv and in newspapers exude an unattainable goal (for most of us.) Look thin for you man! Some of those diet food clubs on tv are the worst......."my husband calls me his trophy wife..." Are you kiddin me??????? And its a double standard as a large percentage of men have a pretty good gut going on! But do we plaster that everywhere? No, as it is kind of accepted......it means a fun guy who drinks beer with the "boys" and watches football. No one thinks twice about that. Females are pressured to be perfect and it makes me sick.
Just sayin.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by allport View Post
I totally agree that being healthy doesn't mean thin but in my weird little brain I would rather be thin than healthy.
I luckily had that theory smashed nicely years ago. I used to have a really good friend who was thin and looked very healthy. When we would walk, she would huff and puff and the fat girl (me) would be fine. She had to ask me to do every manner of physical task for her, weak like kitten!

I do agree that being thinner is unfortunately linked to how we feel about ourselves though, and it is hard to escape. I can do relatively the same amount of physical stuff now as I did 50 pounds heavier, but I don't shudder when I see family pictures of myself anymore. Funny thing that: by society's standards I am still overweight/obese, but when you are really big for a long time, even losing some makes such a difference! I am pretty happy at 160ish, just trying not to climb back up now
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Fruits and vegetables are actually yummy... well, some are. Apples and carrots aren't, IMO, but hey....

I think it's the mentality that's behind it all... if you *think* they're tasty, you'll want to eat more... and it becomes a lifestyle thing. Forget the fad diets, all that--find a place where you like things that are good for you. Not everybody has to like all the "official" good things... I really do avoid apples and carrots. Hate 'em. There's the weight advantage, but--in my opinion, more important--the health advantage. Of course, I don't actually have a degree/licence to be dispensing food advice... and Lord help me, I'm actually one of those evil thin people...

Good thing we're on the internet here.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Lets get the thin one

Just kidding, I am only borderline crazy jealous of you, but it is one of those things that it's difficult for those who aren't affected to understand.

My sister who is naturally thin tries to help me out a lot, and while I really appreciate her effort it is difficult to get her to understand my (completely bonkers) mindset.

I do get that the media representation of women is unrealistic but I don't think I play into that too much, the fact is that I am not a bit chunky I am fat (probably medically obese) and I really need to lose some weight both for health and appearance sake.

I don't know if the unhealthy relationship (starving or binging) that I have with food is tied to my alcoholism but I am trying to use the same tools that I am using to stay sober to control that relationship, so far not so good lol but I don't see any reason that if I tweak things a little I can't one day be successful.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This is a very interesting post and one I think that effects a lot of people coming from addicted backgrounds. My doctor is great and has reminded me that food is not the answer to filling in the void that alcohol has left. She has made me promise to take an hourly walk (exercise, releasing endorphins and having "me" time with my thoughts for the day) at least once a day. It has helped me get some perspective and fresh air in my lungs. Helps me sleep and stay away from junk food. Also, water. Drinking water to keep our bodies clean and hydrated. I think it's great what you are doing - and it will get easier. It will become natural to you to a point where not only craving junk will fade but you will actually balk at the thought of it. It will take time and perseverance but you got clean so you can do this too!