Notices

H.a.l.t.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mergirl

H.a.l.t.

I believe that stands for hungry, anxious, lonely, tired? forgive me if I got it wrong.

I was crawling out of my skin today after work. Went to a 530 meeting, only to leave half way through. Drove around for awhile, punk rock blaring and felt some better, but when my roomie got home with his case of beer, and his buddies showed with wine I was . . .caged. I thought about going to get a near beer and then though wtf, where did THAT randomness come from (thanks smackers haha).

And I got quiet and looked inside and guess what? I was tired. I was lonely. And I was hungry.

So I jumped in the SR chat room to b.s a bit, grabbed a big bowl of pot roast, and made a nice cup of cocoa. I am feeling much more me now, and I am just about ready for bed (although the party in the next room may prevent real sleep for a bit). So thanks to carol who originally taught me HALT, and to SR for the rest =)
Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hungry angry lonely tired
Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Who Farted?

Either way sounds good to me. Way to be Gypsy. Since I have heard that acronym, I have used it with success also. Pot roast sounds awesome.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder =) I'm glad you got through this okay my Friend. Love you tons
Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ago

Good Job Kid

Some of those acronyms are helpful

F*ck
Everything
And
Run

False
evidence
appearing
real

and when you say How are you to someone and they respond with "Fine"

F*cked up
Insecure
Neurotic
Evasive/emotional
Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Helpful, Ago... Interesting... I don't know how to type what I'm expressing, but... um... you're funny.

Glad you came here, Gypsy... can't tell you how often that's been the thing for me. Essentially, I live in HALT... not enough money to eat what the doctors say I should, angry in general, 3000 miles from home and...

Well, actually I do get enough sleep.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by thirtybubba View Post
Helpful, Ago... Interesting... I don't know how to type what I'm expressing, but... um... you're funny.
Yes, I frequently have that effect on small guitar playing kitties
Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

You know others? I'd like to meet them... hard being the only guitar playing kitty at my college...

To pretend that I'm not hijacking this here thread....

Well, the truth is, I agree with the OP. All the way. Truth is, it doesn't even matter if it's anxiety or angry.... or anything else. It's when you feel something's missing... that's when (in my case) I get to drinking... to replace the missing thing. It has not worked yet. I'll let y'all know if it ever does...
Old 11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hungry....check
Angry....double check
Lonely...always
Tired...how about exhausted...
Old 11-14-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Remembering HALT is huge for me. All of those feelings make me extremely agitated and uncomfortable. In the past I would reach for a drink to rid myself of those and any other feelings. Now I have this little checklist that makes me eat, go to bed super early, or get on the chat room. I havent learned how to deal with anger yet but the sleeping seems to help! Thanks for posting. It's a great way to remind ourselves that what we think we are feeling is often posing as something else!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Had a huge HALT moment earlier today - its Day 29 for me - and every day, usually on my way home from work, or today when I've gone awhile without eating, I get these weird sensations like withdrawal (jangly nerves?) in my arms - and everything irritates me. I had the same sort of feeling when I quit smoking years ago. Maybe its weird blood sugar levels? I always feel fine about 1/2 way through the meal, and more cheerful & calm as well. Lonely? I'm that a lot, I get a lot of sleep - so if I can manage hunger and anger/anxiety, maybe I'll be able to continue on this recovery journey