Notices

Food detox

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Food detox

I'm happy with my sober time...I'm cruising. What I'm not doing well with at all is food. Food has always been an issue, alcohol or no alcohol.

I fought the urge today to go to the store to buy junk...chocolate...whatever...you name it. So far I’m winning.

Time for me to treat this like the alcohol problem. I can't stop eating, but I can stop eating the junk.

This is going to be hard. My goal is no sweets...chocolate...sugary stuff and whatnot. No potato chips either. Not even the no-sugar added popsicles. No more frozen pizzas...no more frozen cheese sticks...no more frozen anything bad. Earlier I had some hashbrowns as a meal. That was the last.

I've been thinking about food for the last two hours. I kept putting off going to the store. I'm boiling a piece of chicken right now and I'll eat that with some frozen vegetables. Just plain vegetables...nothing on them. And plain chicken with some dry spice. Not very exciting...but it will fill me up.

I just ate a plain yogurt (no fat) with a Weetabix. That should tide me over until meal time.

Before I ate this I sat and waited a while to see if it was hunger. It is...and my stomach wants more right now...but it's going to have to wait.

I’ve been talking about doing this for a while…time to do it.

I can’t help but think about the holidays coming up…all the junk food. I know I shouldn’t. I need to worry about this moment right now.

I am tired of being fat. I’m tired of not being confident. I want to loose the weight.

I told myself earlier that I could go to the store…that I could put this off until tomorrow. Procrastination hasn’t helped me at all.

I justified eating junk food because I would tell myself, “Hey, you aren’t drinking, so it’s okay.”

It’s not okay.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Bamboozle I know exactly what you mean and I am exactly where you are with the food thing right now. As you mentioned, I tell myself hey your not drinking at least so eating whatever whenever is okay! Well maybe in the wee beginning when your barely adjusting its okay to give yourself the added comfort of indulgent food. However, now on my 22nd day sober and in a state of bottom-less-pittedness lol I am making tye decision that soon, not past my 30 day mark, I will turn it around and start cutting out a lot of the junk and sugar. We have the potential to have healthy and hot bods with abstinence from alcohol why go ahead and ruin those chances with a reckless diet lol. Ill keep yall posted once I make the change....but today=rice, beans, cheese, and chocolate donuts, mmmmmm!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Multiple addictions here, including using food as a drug.

I live clean now with my food. It's the same as any recovery, you need a plan, you work the plan, and you DON'T sit and think about how you will never eat thus and such again....

I'm not preaching, because from your post it's clear you know this...just restating for you, me and all the compulsive eaters out there in cyber land..

Switching addictions doesn't address the problems,. working recovery does.

Getting clean with food is just as critical as getting clean with any other substance.

Know your triggers, learn a new way of shopping, cooking and eating.

There are so many hundreds of thousands of tasty foods out there, that I really don't go without at all...I lived in terror for years about life without...totally ignoring what sobriety truly had to offer me.

There ARE foods I cannot have even just one bite of. That is my reality, but I've also learned (education and experience) that just like with my other substances, the key is to stop struggling,. because struggling is just another form of obsession, and keeps me tied to the substance.

Let it go, surrender, and live.

Food is a huge issue for me. I don't take it lightly at all, and it's great to see someone else bringing it up here.

The holidays...you'll be fine, focus on what you can eat, not on what you can't, and don't make your addiction any one else's issue.

a simple "no thanks" usually does the trick, or a apologetic grin, head **** and "sorry, dr's orders" when they seem to have trouble taking no for an answer.

They don't have to know the dr is Bob of the BB..lol
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Bam!! I can totally relate as two months ago I quit chocolate and all other junk foods and got exercising. I have lost weight and am very pleased with my physical condition. Very happy!!!

I did exactly what you're doing. I have to tell you though, I have had my days where I have had to give in and do some junk food eating. I don't mean all day, but if I want chocolate, I treat myself to a very nice treat and enjoy.

I have done the same with food. One of my biggest weaknesses is the Stoffer's Mac & Cheese, so one day I went to the store and got one and it was great.

Good luck on your journey here. I applied all the tools that I learned in recovery to do this as well. A lot of work, perseverance, commitment and no matter what, no matter what, don't give up!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Google hypoglycemic diet and alcoholism. Sugar is a close analogue to alcohol carbs. There is a chicken and egg thing concerning alcoholism and hypoglycemia; but the important thing is that when tested most alkies are hypoglycemic and accordingly drawn to sugar!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I totally understand where you're coming from Bam, after 4 years of sobriety and shoving junk food in my face I got tired of being overweight and felt ashamed of the way I looked, so I decided to do something about it. I went on Weight Watchers at the beginning of this year and lost what I'd put on, I feel great about the way I look. But it's taken some discipline, just like recovery.

Eating right doesn't mean it has to be bland or boring. I bought a Weight Watchers cookbook that's full of yummy recipes, and now it's easy to just eat healthy, I know what's good for me and what's not, and I also know that it's OK to treat myself to a cheeseburger or slice of pizza once in awhile. I've also been trying to abstain from sweets, please join us in the challenge if you'd like http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2428896 I had sort of a planned relapse with that recently, wanted to indulge in a piece of cake at my wedding and also didn't want to have to hold back on the honeymoon trip! But if I want a sweet treat, I mix sugar free peanut butter with sugar free yogurt and some peanuts, and I freeze it. It's delicious! I've even found lots of sugar-free candies and chocolates that are good too.

I know it probably sounds dumb, but I actually get excited about eating healthy and I really enjoy it. It's fun to put together a lunch bag and make healthy choices when I'm shopping, and it doesn't have to be expensive, it just means giving it a little more thought than usual. And the best reason is....I feel great every day.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks for the replies, all.

I know that if I can do this for at least 2-3 weeks the cravings won't be nearly as bad. I just have to hang in there.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Avoid anything that lists sugar as a first ingredient as well as processed wheat. Whole grains are digeste more slowly and lessen the fluctuations of blood sugar levels that cause cravings. It works for me despite occasional binges on cookie dough, pints og Ben and Jerrys' as well as that clown's evil dollar menu.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

AAAK. Kbam!!! Sigh. My name is Lisa, and today I am powerless over food, sheesh.

Before I quit drinking, I did the weight watchers. I lost lots of weight, go me. After I quit, I lost another 10 pounds, and I was still eating really good, but allowing myself nightly ice cream=) Then I moved up here to paradise, with a fellow foodie house mate, and my eating is out. of. control!!! I still only buy whole wheat pasta,lean meats, fat free or light dairy or soy, buuuuuuuut, today I am off work and I have done nothing. but. eat. uhg.

like, 3 breakfasts and 4 lunches so far haha.

so, in solidarity for my beautiful friend kbam, I am pulling my head out. back to reality. darn you kbam!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3
Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

U can do this Bambooze.
When those craving hit like with those alcoholic taunts, they only last a few minutes. Exercise, during a craving; it can hurt and U will become more firmer and toner...
Just a suggestion.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I understand........like my last thread of eating like a pig......I am only on day 6 but I think I am eating more junk calories now than booze calories then........

I went to the G-store today and actually bought some fruit and veggies........and a small bag of M&M's.... ............I am going to ease into this.

I did dust off my treadmill and have been doing some extra walking at home aside from the gym, hopefully that will help.

Stay strong Bam.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hey, Bam....I agree that simple doesn't have to be boring. Learning to use different spices really does make eating healthy....well....healthy! Also agree w/the Weight Watchers thoughts....I've done it three times, it finally stuck the third time. I needed to learn about food....because I was pretty clueless.

And.....if you can get out for a walk....a half hour or so....that will lift your spirits.

Good luck to you! I'm excited to see how you'll progress!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I understand........like my last thread of eating like a pig......I am only on day 6 but I think I am eating more junk calories now than booze calories then........

I went to the G-store today and actually bought some fruit and veggies........and a small bag of M&M's.... ............I am going to ease into this.

I did dust off my treadmill and have been doing some extra walking at home aside from the gym, hopefully that will help.

Stay strong Bam.

Oh, VC. Be easy on yourself. You are on day 6, as you said. I had to rely on the sweets to make it through in the beginning. I don't recommend people do that...but it is so hard to get off of alcohol. I personally believe in tackling one problem at a time. Take care of yourself...and congratulations on your sober time.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Im a total pig when it comes to food (or was lol) great British fry up every morning, fast food, big Macs, Wendy's baconators when I need to be in the States, giant pizza, you name it. The only things I didn't eat were sweet stuff as im a savoury type of carnivore. I used to shun any kind of vegitable or fruit, they were just not in my diet. I was a true carnivore but I realised this was totally screwing up my health so I gave in to the veggies and healthy breakfast. I swapped the bacon for porridge and burgers for pasta and feel healthy as a horse lol Ok I still treat myself to fish & chips (im a Brit I have to ) but its doable and the weight falls off combined with long walks. I actually like veggies now.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I fell asleep hungry and woke up hungry...at least that's what my stomach was telling me. More Weetabix this morning...they taste alright plain...I'll have to get another box soon. Better than rice cakes.

I work in a fast food place...that's not good. I get to eat for free...also not good. There are maybe two things I can safely eat on the menu (I have to totally ignore the sodium content...if I didn't, there wouldn't be anything). I think I'll go shopping my next day off and start...bringing...food...to eat...at work. Once I get off of the fast food for a while it won't be bad...as it is I'm tired of the food there...but hey, it's free. That's a terrible reason to eat it. It's nothing but junk...I don't know how people pay for this stuff every day.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

That would be tough working at a place like that and trying to be good.........more and more these places are bringing healthier things in.........I am very fortunate that I do not like fast food........the smell of the oil/grease makes me sick........my downfall is in other areas........like the hugest mound of mashed potatoes you have ever seen.....swimming with butter and plopping some early peas or sweet corn on top for a swim.........gosh am I gross or what????????? HA!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I am right there with you, food has always been an issue for me. My gosh darn Brother could eat anything that wasn't still moving and never gain weight, me...I think about an M&M ans *poof* the button flys off my jeans!!!! My addictive personality is not mild mannered, it is loud and obnoxious, and food is its favorite thing! I am 44 now, so losing weight is harder now than ever. I find if I am not going in the right direction with food, I am going backward so fast it is scary (I can never stay in the middle). This Spring, as I was looking at my double chin and saddle bags in the mirror, I decided it was time to chang my habits. I wasn't going to "diet" but change to a lifestyle I could live with for the rest of my life. My Son started High School this year, I didn't want him to be embarrased of me (I wasn't quite that bad yet, but I was on my way) and I wanted to be there for him (really to annoy him) for a long time to come. I joined a gym close to the house along with my Son and made some changes with my eating. I had to stop my mindless eating after work, I would start snacking when I walked in the door and stop when I went to bed....and what was wrong with popcorn and M&Ms for dinner anyway. I wasn't about to give up everything I love, because that would set me up for failure. I still have pizza for lunch every Friday, and I have a few hard candies each day to get rid of my sweet tooth. What I do is, make sure I eat a healthy breakfast everyday. I keep fruit around for when I get hungry between meals, and if I do get hungry, I make sure to eat the fruit before it turns into a major pig out of a meal. I exercise at least three time a week (most weeks, some more, a few less) and if a do give into temptation...and I have, I don't throw in the towel. I am not perfect, and my progress is slow, but steady. In six months, I have lost 25lbs, and two pants sizes. I feel so much better, I still have a little ways to go, but if I try my best to stay focused, I think I will make it. I incorperate the steps of AA/NA with food, except...just for today...I don't feel that I am powerless over temptation. *I am not so perfect in character that my lip won't curl up in a snarl (on the down low) and a few mumbling of hatred toward one of the "perfect people" who can eat anything and still look fabulous!!!

Cathy
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
like the hugest mound of mashed potatoes you have ever seen.....swimming with butter and plopping some early peas or sweet corn on top for a swim.........gosh am I gross or what?
No I don't think that sounds gross at all, sounds perfectly delicious to me! Is it lunchtime yet?

Cathy - Your story sounds just like mine as does your program for weight loss and the results. I hope you're as happy with the results as I am
Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Give me some of those potatoes too. Yum.

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
I think about an M&M ans *poof* the button flys off my jeans!!!!

Me too!

I just ate an apple and a sandwich and I'm still hungry!

I think it's going to take a while for my body to get used to eating less food. Oh, my.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One small trick I have utilised is to stop eating sandwiches Bam, it might sound dumb and it certainly makes eating on the move more difficult but when I realised how calorific (and generally unhealthy) bread is I was pretty suprised.

Doesn't mean I don't occasionally splurge on good, fresh bread and butter, I now just don't shove everything into a sandwich, the healthiest filling isn't much good if its surrounded by bulked up processed bread which is one of those hidden sources of sugar that I am learning to look out for.

I've kind of given up on the losing weight aspect of a diet and I am concentrating on the healthy, less processed side of things and I am pining my hopes on the fact that being healthier and doing some (necessarily moderate at the moment) exercise will naturally lead to a smaller belly.

Good luck with it all, this is tough but like giving up the booze, well worth it.