Notices

November 2009 Group

Old 12-26-2009, 12:54 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Haven't joined this group yet as I'm mostly a lurker. But my sobriety date is Nov. 6 and am entering my 50th one day at a time today! By the Grace of God, I will get through this and onto day sixty which I can smell now! Who would have thought it after 3 rehab stints and five detoxes in total during 2009. What a shity year! But hello all to all the Novemerites!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
bbr

Hello Eyemitalian,

Welcome to the November group and congrats on 50 days!

BBR
Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Welcome eyemitalian! Eyemitallian, too! Congrats on 50 days and for putting this shity year behind you! Glad you're here...
Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Welcome eyemitalian from me too! And a huge congrats on 50 days! Hope to see lots more of you here!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Day 48!!!
Wow… I think this is the longest I’ve ever gone without a drink & the longest I’ve gone without posting on this board. Oh, the humanity! Oh, the withdraw!!!! Lol.
I’m feeling great… but I do feel like a drink about two times a day… at which times I just make a cup of coffee.
So far, London is very nice. After living in a non-English speaking environment for over a year… I’m feeling spoiled. I haven’t explored too much, but on Christmas Eve we went to a Winter Wonderland amusement park… it was very nice… and Santa found us (I for one love giving Santa all the credit… although I think my so knows what’s going, today he said, “I want to play with the star wars guys my daddy gave me.”… “Santa” actually gave those. Anyway, we had a very Star Wars Christmas.
BTW: My kid just called to me from the other room: “Dad?” “Yeah kid?” “I love you… I just wanted to tell you that.”
PS: Has anyone else been experiencing Database problems? I’ve been trying to log on over the past three days but couldn’t.
And a very special holiday welcome goes to Eye!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hope ya'll had a good Christmas. We had a very Star Wars Christmas, too. Good grief. Tons of little guys, lego kits, ti fighter, sticker book, etc. May the force be with me.

Been struggling a bit lately, folks. Not sure why. My mind has really been doing a number on me lately. It might be the New Years Eve thing comin soon..I'll be up north again with my fam and my brother, who I drank with always. Anyway...my mind. It's starting the "look...clearly you can quit, you weren't physically addicted (no major w/drawls)..so having some drinks occasionally is not that big a deal. Just don't have em every other night, dummy, and you'll be fine. You just got carried away for awhile, but now you understand it better..you know what you shouldn't do. So just enjoy yourself with your beers once in awhile and keep a handle on how often. You can't be serious about this being a forever thing." I even dreamt about it last night. Crap! Any words of wisdom??
Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Tytan...oops forgot. Nope..no database problems here.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Mirage-Last time I tried that it didn't go well. I drank way too much & took a day to recover. I'm not ready to say "never again" but I think I need a real string of sobriety behind me first. The longest I've gone was a little over a month. That's not long enough. But "never" doesn't jive with me right now anyway.

Everybody's different. The world won't end if you have a couple of beers. And it probably won't send you on a big bender. It will just be a slip and you can get right back on the abstinence horse if you want to. It is your choice. Your rational choice in both events. If you believe in a HP talking to you, listen. Personally I don't. I listen to myself and my conscious choices. Some good, some not so. As time goes on, I am truly trying to make the good choices outweigh the bad by a long shot, and not just in alcohol consumption but in other phases of my life.

Hugs from me and give your kids lots of hugs too. Miine is 2500 miles away. (She's 28)
Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Future 22

Hey everyone! Hope you all are enjoying any breaks you might be taking around this festive season. I am on day 54 I believe.
Take care!

Last edited by Dee74; 12-28-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: edited link
Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Day 49!

Yeah, new years looming is a struggle. New Years eve is also my birthday... it's taken many years to get over the fact that the whole world cheers when my birthday is over... and now... I will do so drink free... it is all so odd.

Have holidays everyone!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Tytan> "the whole world cheers when my birthday is over". Omg...that is hilarious!!

Thanks, Asta. You made a lot of sense. I did drink. Not gonna beat myself up about it too badly, tho. You're right...it was a choice and I made it. Not gonna let it send me over the edge into some bender. Now I'm off to see Avatar with my brother. 2 1/2 hours of sittin there with 3D glasses on. Hope it's good. Thanks for the hugs...back atcha!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Welcome Future and congrats on day 55 by now. Huge accomplishment. Tytan too!! I am so proud of you. Your wife must be even prouder. Hopefully now she won't have to worry about your babysitting while she takes some time to herself, which she will desparately need, even if she doesn't admit it.

Mirage-How was Avatar?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Day 50 Everyone!

Work told me they didn't need me until Monday!!!! So, they were like, "Go enjoy London with your family for a few days.

Hurray! I'm off to the museum! Take care everyone!

Welcome Future!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Hey Mirage! How was Avatar???????? It looks way cool.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I stopped on Nov 26, so I think I am in the class of november. I just wanted to introduce myself and say happy holidays

spryte
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Welcome spryte, and congrats on over a month! You'll find lots of supporitive people here. Keep on reading and posting!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Hey VC...long time no see! Avatar WAS really cool. The visual effects are really somethin else..beautiful to watch.

Welcome spryte! Glad you joined us!

Well...downer time. I've been better. After I drank the other night, I really didn't feel that lousy about myself. I just figured maybe I'll be the kind of person who abstains for awhile and then drinks occasionally. I can live with that. Then I did it again last night, and now I DO feel lousy. I just wish I could take a vacation from myself. I'm going away today for a couple days (no internet) and I wish I didn't have to take me with me. I know I'll feel better tomorrow..but right now, man. Feelin like a big ol' loser. It seems I DO have to think in 'forever' terms...or at least I ought to be. Very hard to give up this lifestyle. Can't live with it, can't live without it...that's how it feels today..I know that's not factually accurate, but that's how it feels at this moment. Thing is, I don't even know what happened. Besides me cognitively making poor decisions, the why of it is confusing. I really wish I had you guys with me this weekend via computer. Right now all I wanna do is be here with people who get me.

So, that's me for now. You guys have a great New Year...lookin forward to gettin back to ya. Hugs out to all...
Linda
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Day 51.

Spryte, welcome! I like your taste in substitute vowels. 

Mirage: I totally feel you. I wish I could be that person too. To abstain for a while and then get to enjoy myself with some booze from time to time. I am so proud of my 51 days that I sometimes think, “Hey, I’ve made it this long with out a drink… don’t I deserve a night out?” Honestly? Yes, I do deserve a night… but I haven’t tested myself. I’m scared to test myself. Although a part of me wants to test it… the other part of me knows that I don’t have the self control to just have one beer or one glass of wine. So… I just drink coffee… and now I’m drinking tea like it’s going out of style. I think I’m becoming British. Lol.

Anyway, we’ve had company the past couple days, but they are very mild drinkers… they opened a bottle of wine a couple days ago and still have at least a glasses worth… and the husband has only had one beer with dinner… very mild… I watch them and I am amazed… I would have probably killed the bottle of wine and pack of beer and gone across the street for more on the first night. Erg… They have self control. I don’t.

My wife asked me today, “how are you going to handle having your buddy in town?” My best friend from the states is flying in a couple weeks from now. “It won’t be a problem. I already warned him I wasn’t drinking. He was like, ‘So, can I talk you into one pint at a pub or are you going to make me drink alone?’… I told him to talk all he wants, but I’ll be toasting with something mild.” He didn’t press the issue beyond that. There is a reason why he’s my best friend. If I tell him I’m not drinking anymore… he makes the normal wise crack and them moves on to more important things in life… like finally doing something we’ve talked about since we were in high school… bumming around London together. It’s going to rock… but I hope I am able to stay strong.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words, Tytan. I'm thinkin I never really accepted this as the problem it is. I think it's human nature to resist negative attributes that apply to ourselves. It sucks to be perfect in every other way, besides this one. You'll do great..the pint would only slow ya down. I was a cider drinker in London, myself. Don't forget to catch the tube before 11:00! Crazy Brits....
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Well, you all know the saying "life's a b***h and then you die."It feels like that a lot when you've given up something you really loved doing!! What I didn't love was the excesses that gave me those awful hangovers and other after effects. I wish I could be a "normie." Maybe in a year or two, I can. Has anyone tried MyWayOut? Check out the website. I'm going to give it a try after a little more time.I'ts both a moderation plan but a lot of people abstain that are members.

Day 2 of cleaning our garage. At least 2 more afternoons to go before we're done. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap we've thrown out already!! The garage is supposedly my husband's domain, but yesterday I just started without him while he was out doing errands. What choice did he have but pitch in? (Otherwise I probably would have tossed out a WHOLE BUNCH more stuff.)

Best to everyone. Hang in there Mirage. 2 days does not a failure make. Just get back on that wagon or horse or whatever your preference is and go on with your life as it was before those beers. YOU CAN DO IT! You have kidlets depending on you.