Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

on day one....again. congrats to everyone on here whether it's one day or years.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Welcome Dec, A fallenman,Cath and Ella .. were glad your here . Dec you sweet thing you , Im bummed your hear but glad you are here if that makes sence .. Im glad were all sober today
Its my Soberity B-Day .. 6 yrs ago i stopped the insanity rollercoaster and took the kiddie ride slow and easy one day at a time . Its been the best ride of my life , Somedays not as easy as others but a bad sober day is still way better then any drunkard day , Im glad you all are here and this room as well , its great to get to know my class mates of Sept .. peace and Serenity to you all ~ Endzy~
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Day one for me. I have been trying to quit off and on for several years. There is no reason for me to have the first drink, ever. This is such a tricky sickness: I can drink a few times without problem and then slam, I'm out. Pray for me that I may have the strength and courage to recover my sense of responsibility and control.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

So many people joining today - I think I lost some of you in the mix. Well, Happy Sober September to everyone! Whether it's day 1 or day 1000 (I'm looking at you zoner :P ), today is a fine day to not drink, and I am so happy I'm so fortunate to be among others sharing the same goal.

Everyone's support has meant so much to me, I can't figure out how to describe it.

Day 7, nearly done - almost one week sober and so, so happy about just that little fact alone.

Stay strong everyone! To those just arriving; I'm glad you made it here
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Meow

Happy birthday, Endzoner, and hi to all of our new members! This is great.

I'm at the end of day one and ready for bed. It has been an interesting day. Got up and got my son off to his first day of high school and came back home for breakfast. Took a B-complex vitamin and the naltrexone, then went to work.

Driving in was not that easy. I was feeling nauseous but was ignoring it - it was a side effect that I expected. What I did not expect was to actually throw up - and I had to. yuck. Couldn't even make it from the parking lot to work it came so fast. Rather embarrassing, but I don't think anyone actually saw me. Needless to say, I did not end up staying at work. That's the only time it happened, but I have felt really rough all day in the stomach area. I have a mild headache now, but that is probably due to the storm front that blew through here earlier.

However, no cravings. None whatsoever. I did end up taking my son to hockey this evening, and instead of sitting up in the rink restaurant/bar I sat in the rink itself and had a nice cup of mint tea while reading "A Gentle Path through the Twelve Steps". Saw hubby's beers lined up in the fridge when I grabbed a water and wasn't tempted in the least.

So, I am unsure what I want to do about tomorrow. I cannot miss another day of work as it is crunch time for me there - yet the no cravings thing is a very nice perk. I was thinking of either taking the medicine when I get up instead of waiting until breakfast or taking 1/2 dose. Either way, that's a decision for tomorrow.

Goodnight September folks!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hi! This is my first post (this time around), day 2 of sobriety. I've gotten up to speed reading about all the great folks on this "september" thread- I look forward to joining you! I turned 30 this summer and I can't believe I've been struggling with alcohol since my teens and especially my 20's. Sometimes when I drink, I'm social and fun. Lately, it's been less fun, progressively more black-outs, and definitely an increase in foolishness, shame, and embarassment. I've put 6 months of sobriety together twice in the past 5 years, and I reaped the rewards from it! Why I ever went back to drinking, I don't know. But I do know I'm ready to be DONE once and for all.

Happy sober b-day Endzoner; Congrats on six years! To everyone else in this group, I look forward to walking this journey together.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Meow

Happy birthday, Endzoner, and hi to all of our new members! This is great.

I'm at the end of day one and ready for bed. It has been an interesting day. Got up and got my son off to his first day of high school and came back home for breakfast. Took a B-complex vitamin and the naltrexone, then went to work.

Driving in was not that easy. I was feeling nauseous but was ignoring it - it was a side effect that I expected. What I did not expect was to actually throw up - and I had to. yuck. Couldn't even make it from the parking lot to work it came so fast. Rather embarrassing, but I don't think anyone actually saw me. Needless to say, I did not end up staying at work. That's the only time it happened, but I have felt really rough all day in the stomach area. I have a mild headache now, but that is probably due to the storm front that blew through here earlier.

However, no cravings. None whatsoever. I did end up taking my son to hockey this evening, and instead of sitting up in the rink restaurant/bar I sat in the rink itself and had a nice cup of mint tea while reading "A Gentle Path through the Twelve Steps". Saw hubby's beers lined up in the fridge when I grabbed a water and wasn't tempted in the least.

So, I am unsure what I want to do about tomorrow. I cannot miss another day of work as it is crunch time for me there - yet the no cravings thing is a very nice perk. I was thinking of either taking the medicine when I get up instead of waiting until breakfast or taking 1/2 dose. Either way, that's a decision for tomorrow.

Goodnight September folks!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi all you September Peeps, if you don't mind I'd love to join in. I will have 1 year sober/clean on September 25th. A little about myself, I originally had 15 years sober, back starting 1986, went to AA meetings for 12 years every day, but didn't have a sponsor, never did the steps past the 4th, no network of people in the program, really just the meetings, came late and left early, then started to drift away, last 2 years decided I was cured and didnt need meetings. WRONG!!! Sept 11th happened and was put on anxiety meds and pain med's for my bad back. I was by then a fully blown alcoholic again and drug addict was also added as a new addiction. Was out there abusing drugs and alcohol for 5 years and that brought me to Sept 24th, the day I wanted to die and tried to kill myself. My reason for dying was I was so addicted to pills I just couldn't stop taking them. I was found with 76 pills in my body, yes I should be dead today. Not thinking of the two children I had who would have been devasted to find their mom dead, you see at 15 years old, I found my mom dead, she committed suicide by shooting herself in my bed and I came home from school and found her. Here I almost succeeded in having a complete circle with my daughter finding me dead after work. Only my HP had other plans for me and he held me until my daughter got home. Rushed to hospital they gave me 5 minutes to live.

Now I am coming up on 1 year sobriety on the 25th of September and I am so grateful that my HP had other plans because I would never, ever even on my worst sober day want to die. I choose AA meetings for my recovery, I go to at least 2 meetings a day and I have a great network of people with whom I can call any hour of the day or night either just to say hi or say help I need you! Not once have I been turned down by any of the AA people I have met in the rooms. I have a network of women and I am in many newcomers networks today. AA is awesome, it saved my life.

I am here in this September thread for support for you and for me. If I can answer anything or just keep you going 1 day at a time, I will. PM me if you wish, just please take your sobriety seriously. It is a matter of life and death.

Oh my friends call me "Bee" and I do consider all of you friends
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Thanks Believe. Great to hear about the time you have. I have relapsed a hundred times because I decided I was "cured." I wanted to be normal so I drank myself into the ground.

I am on day two. Withdrawal symptoms are better than yesterday, but my skin feels prickly. I never think the alcohol is doing anything and only realize the poison that it is when I stop. If I have the shakes from drinking, sweat, can't get up in the morning, can't keep regular sleeping hours, then I guess I have a disease. I was born this way. Starting over with step one. I am powerless over alcohol. Powerless.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Good for you on Day two Aux. Just do this one day at a time. Say Just for today I will not drink. It does work but you have to work it. It was told to me that the person who has the most sobriety is the person who got up the earliest today. All we have is today.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

Day one again for me. Congratulations everyone for not giving up! I have discovered in this layer of awareness that willpower will NOT protect against 1st drink. This addiction is truly "cunning, baffling, powerful". I am sooooo sick of being on this hopeless merry-go-round and I really know, that each time I stop and start, it is truly harder to give up the next time, so perhaps it is true that alcoholism is a progressive disorder?
I have discovered that "recovery is a job in it self".
So this is my plan and I really pray that if I put the effort in that HP will help.
STAY AWAY from ALL slippery places (being willing to let go of seemingly good friendships) Be willing to sacrifice my social life and realize a better one will eventually come when I make new sober friends in AA and church!
Go back to AA this time with a humble open approach.
I am a binge drinker and all it takes for me now,(losing tolerance) is 1 bottle vino to wipe me out physically and mentally the next day so I can barely function taking at least 3 days to recover, then forget and binge again!!!! crazy, crazy, crazy.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi all
I guess I am joining September group, a little sooner than planned. Day 1 for me. I was hoping to wait till the 15th when I would be getting my Campral but lack of money to buy any alcohol I got the go ahead to start today from my counsellor. Not so sure the doctor will be impressed but It's not been hard yet and I don't seem to have any early withdrawal symptoms, so here's hoping I make it through.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you Aussies along - and you're right fragrant rose - willpower is not enough...for me this last time, when I came to SR, I had to admit I was an alcoholic and that I couldn't drink again no matter what...

the AAers call it surrender, but it's empowering.
When you truly accept you're done, you stop fighting yourself....
it's a great feeling

D
Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

The one thing that I find helpful is It's the 1st drink that gets me drunk, not the 2nd or 3rd or bottle. The minute I put that drink or drug to my mouth, I am a goner. I can't stop and I needed to realize that in order to surrender. I am powerless over alcohol and drugs and my life was totally unmanageable. I turn it over to a power greater than myself whom I chose to call God to help me stay sober today.

Good for you Frag and Aus, glad to see you back trying. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

congratulations endzy...

thanks for sharing Bee... i didnt know your history.. it was a great post.

what i find interesting both here and at AA meetings (and i tend to be going late and leaving early) is that it seems to be a common theme that ATTENDING meetins is not enough, become involved is the key.
i think i will change my habits:

HELLO to everyone.. welcome new joiners..... congratulations on your achievements.. sounds like everyone doing well'

hi purplecat :ghug3
Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

good morning class ( i hear a song there ) anyways ....... hi and welcome to the newcomers of the Sept Class ...were so delighted to have you here and look forward to hearing your experiences ...

Purple I was thinkin bout you all day yesterday , I recon I could of posted to let you know you were in my thoughts , ( were sharring the same B-day now you know ) andways big congrats on the first and most imortant 24 hours .. It will and does get way better and easyier !

Bee.. your share really grasped at my heart strings . tears included . its amazing how we get another chance at life and all its pleasures. Life is such a gift not to be played around with , and its way to short not to enjoy it . Theres lots of simuliaritys in your story like mine , think thats why it stuck so hard . and welcome to the class of Sept .

Water... you silly lady you .. thanks hun ...

And Renee .. another Neighbor ( north dakota here ) nice to see you in class keep up the good work ...
and to everyone else ( so many names added lately ) congrats on another day added to you recovery .. its wonderful aint it !!! well off to finish my coffee and hit the job scene ..
Many Huggles cya laters ~ Endzy~
Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by endzoner View Post
Purple I was thinkin bout you all day yesterday , I recon I could of posted to let you know you were in my thoughts , ( were sharring the same B-day now you know ) andways big congrats on the first and most imortant 24 hours .. It will and does get way better and easyier !
Thanks, Endzy. Sept 8th is a good day. :day2

Hi anono! Thanks for checking up on us!

I decided to take just 1/2 a pill today. No nausea (so far), no vomiting (YAY), but not as strong of an effect either. Some cravings nibbling on the edges, but I haven't had much water today so that could be a part of it. I'm going to get some in me shortly.

Hang tough Sept peeps!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Day 10 today. Still feeling really good. Went hiking again yesterday - I just can't seem to get enough of it.

I haven't gone this long without a drink since I was 20 years old. Feels nice.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi all ! Karma- I'm motivated by your 10 days...I've followed your posts on this thread since the beginning of Sept. Congratulations, I'm glad you're feeling so much better!

Endzoner- yes, I guess we are geographical neighbors! Congrats on your sobriety anniversary also!

I'm facing my first big obstacle today (day 3). My neighbor invited me over to taste some wine "just a taste test" as she put it, that she's putting in her spaghetti sauce. We are drinking friends and I feel like not only do I not want to taste it, I'm afraid what it might lead to. I'm not ready to tell her I quit drinking, but I don't have a good reason not to go over. She knows it's my day off and I'm at home. Living in my neighborhood is such a challenge- we're all pretty much drinking friends. Anyone have suggestions on how to do this? I know I just have to man-up and say NO, but it's so hard. I'm afraid I'm going to be this lame sober person amidst a neighborhood (or at least several neighbors) who are fun partyers.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

hey Renee .. can try this excuse .... your on antibotics or something along that line , and they strictly forbit you to drink w/ it .. now the only thing that comes with this is a lie , which lies make us sick , so its your call . can just say its a woman thing or something till your ready to admit to her you recovery program , another good thing bout being honnest with you is your setting an example maybe she wants recovery too ? now you cant make or ask her to , its her choice , but setting an example sure is a good start . have a great day !