Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I'm afraid I'm going to be this lame sober person amidst a neighborhood (or at least several neighbors) who are fun partyers.
I don't agree with that. I am having more fun in sobriety than I did while using. Watching others make fools out of themselves just reminds me of what it use to be like. You just have an allergy to alcohol and can't drink. Also, when I got sober I heard that NO is a complete sentence. No thank you is one too

Congrat's on your 10 days sober Karma

Thank you Endz for thw welcome.

Keep up the good work peeps :ghug2
Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hi September group. What a great day as I woke up sober and am still sober now at 8 in the evening. Walking past the pubs was a challenge because the football was on, but I had to do it - so for that I'm feeling proud.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renee B View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to be this lame sober person amidst a neighborhood (or at least several neighbors) who are fun partyers.
Ouch, yeah, I know what you are talking about.

Everyone my age who I associate with drinks (some quite heavily)... except for me now. LOL.

I had a "party" at my house Friday and another Sunday night and I was the only sober person there. I guess I still had fun but I sure did feel like a dork.

For now, I am just trying to play it off but eventually .. I'm not sure. A real good friend of mine can drink a box of wine in one night (oh god the hangover...!) and I used to help him out doing that while we went on and on about politics/america/oklahoma/the universe/shoot out street lights/whatever until 7am.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I hang out with him now.

I guess I didn't think that far ahead.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I guess after falling off & not posting here for months I am coming back! Today is day 2.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Day 7 - I'm ok.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Endzoner, Bee and Karma- thank you for your input. Having put together some sober time in the past, I know it will pay off and I will be thankful and "fun" in my own right. But for now I feel uncomfortable in my own skin and I haven't gotten any sober friends yet, so that doesn't help. I feel like my drinking friendships (which like I said is pretty much everybody) are going to have to be minimized if not eliminated, and that is a lonely feeling.

Endzoner- I ended up telling my friend I was in the middle of like 3 projects and didn't want to lose my motivation- which was the truth!! It felt weird, and she didn't respond to my text...I'm sure she is thinking it's odd for me to turn down some time to hangout and have a drink. Oh well.

1 day at a time.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

day 2 for me....3 hours of fitful sleep last night with bizarre dreams. been through it twice before so i know what to expect. not much sleep tonight either but usually by the 3rd night i can get to sleep.

it's amazing the tolerance level of vodka one can attain just to get to sleep. and when removed it's like i'm on speed.

thanks for everyone here and good luck to all.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Thanks Believe. What a relief to wake up sober and not dehydrated. Rash is gone and skin far less prickly. Of course, I want instant results, an instantly perfect life. Stopping drinking is only the first step. I still have my thinking to deal with.

Hope you have a great day.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hi all .. Renee Im glad you didnt have to fib to your friend an was able to come up with something truthful .
You know when I got into recovery I thought wow what about all my " so called friends " the ones that I partied with and hung out with for the last cpl yrs of my drinkin career. For me it really was'nt all that big of a deal to them , thats why they just vanished with out so much as a call to say hi see what's up or anything . The part that hurt tho was the fact they really wernt my friends , I just thought they were , but when it came down to it . nuttin more then drinkin buddys if you even wanna call it that , Sure we had good times and all that , but a true friend stands by you no matter WHAT , and supports your choices and dont turn there back on you just cuz your not sitting at the bar pouring back a cold one .
Ive re-visted my old stomping grounds its not a trigger , but whats sad is those same ppl are sitting in the same place doing the same thing, telling the same old storys bout how misserable there life/job etc is ..Im a firm beleiver in Nuttin changes less you change it , and they havnt changed nuttin in there lifes , sad.. very sad , but nuttin much to be done on that saga, Ive moved on improved my life and have done so wonderful things and each day even after 6 yrs its still getting better !
congrats on anoter day sober and welcome the newbies to the class of Sept were delighted to have you in our forum
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Endzoner- that's so well said and something I really needed to hear right now. I hate to think my friends aren't my friends, but right now I have to take care of myself at all costs. Time will tell for those who are my true friends!

I know what you mean about the same people, with the same miserable stories of their life/job, etc. I've always noticed some of my closest drinking friends are terrible about complaining every time they drink, about how life is done them wrong, etc...and I noticed I've fallen into that trap sometimes too. I'm so glad to do something better with my life than cryin' in my beer! I'm only on day 3, so I shouldn't get ahead of myself, but I can't wait for brighter days ahead!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Meow

So, how did today go for everyone? I had my highs and lows. A bit emotional too, as I told my parents about what I was doing. They are relieved - they'd been worried.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hey Purple Cat, glad it is going well and good that you could speak to your parents. My concern is not for the next week or two but for the times after that when I start feeling in control of my life: that is when I start to slip up. First a drink, then maybe two the next time, this can go on for weeks, until bam I polish off an entire bottle of wine or more: scary, scary business this.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Sorry to say but I caved in, I am not even going to attemp again till I see my doctor, way to scary for me. I'm dissapointed with myself but am not giving up I just have to wait a little while longer.
Hope everyone else is doing well, and my best wishes to you.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Way to go Purple .... I know it wasnt easy to be honnest bout your addiction , But im proud of you for doing so . And Im sure they were already aware of something wasnt quiet rite bout you .. Dont beat your self down to hard Aus , were glad your here and gonna seek some help from a Dr ..
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey auschick - sorry you lost it...most of us did, at one time or another...how long til you see the doctor?

D
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Hey Purple Cat, glad it is going well and good that you could speak to your parents. My concern is not for the next week or two but for the times after that when I start feeling in control of my life: that is when I start to slip up. First a drink, then maybe two the next time, this can go on for weeks, until bam I polish off an entire bottle of wine or more: scary, scary business this.
I've been told several times that support is key.

Auschick - good for you for going to the doc. I came clean with mine and he was so helpful - even though I was scared to tell him at first.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I made it through today, although I had a major urge. I kept saying the "serenity prayer" and got through it. When the hangover leaves and the withdrawal symptoms minimize, I start feeling like, "one won't matter." Except I have never had one; since the first drink I ever took twenty years ago, I was a binge drinker.

Glad to hear about everyone's say. If you couldn't get through it, don't loose hope and don't beat up on yourself. I have fallen a thousand (literally) times.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee79
I see the doctor again on 15th or 16th of this month.
I write a post up later, I don't want to give the other people on here a trigger to lapse or make it harder for them to keep going. There are so many positive and applaudible stories on this September thread, It help's to keep me inspired.
Thank's also to purplecat.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

made it to day 4 again, just need to get over the weekend this time without giving in once more. Auschick good luck hope all goes well, I also see your in good old WA like me
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for giving me a promotion Auschick!

D (ee 74) LOL