Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-10-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

One week today for me

I have much less anxiety today than when I was drinking at my worst, ironically to help with my anxiety.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

hi all... i was reading about the friends and the drinking.. i have my first test friday night.. i have stayed pretty low key until now (16days tomorrow woo hoo!) which has been pretty easy as i have been working extra shifts

now party i can not NOT go.... i plan to stock up on some nice non alco drink and enjoy.. i am scared though of being offered a drink

wish me luck

and keep going with good work guys ..
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
So, how did today go for everyone? I had my highs and lows. A bit emotional too, as I told my parents about what I was doing. They are relieved - they'd been worried.
Good for you. I mean it. You've taken a lot of big steps.... Admitting your problem to yourself, posting here, and sharing with your p's.

I've got three "older" kids -- two who are 18 and one who's 20. Every one of them has friends we all worry about, and I pray every day that they're eventually strong enough to ask for some help.

Hang in there and keep being good to yourself. You soooo deserve it.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

September 10th for me and my 10th day sober. It's also my mom's birthday. She was my rock, the glue that basically held our large family together. I believe she also was an alcoholic or "problem drinker."

My birthday gift to her = staying sober again, today.

I want to make the changes she never did.

Good luck today, everybody!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hey everyone and goodmorning/afternoon and evening .. all the verious time zones

Im gonna be gone for a couple of days heading to the hills of South Dakota for a visit at Moms .. were so lookin forward to getting away for 4 days . Excited too , this will be the first time were hauling up of 4 wheeler and gonna take in the scenic hills while were there . theres so much of it to see . AND Im makin my home group AA meeting tonite. im really excited bout that . seeing some faces i havnt seen in a while ( 360 miles away ) but its still my home group even tho Im not located there no mores . And im getting my 6 yr coin tonite . wahooo. A really good friend of mine whos in recovery as well Will be there , Hes my BFF , mentor, big brother , ex boy friend , and much more . He holds a big part of my teachings in recovery and lokin forward to seeing him .
Well its off to work for a lil bit and then finish the lil bit of packen and hi ho hi ho its off to the hills we goooooo.. I hope everyone has a great sober weekend and Ill see you all when we get back in a few days .. ~ huggles Endzy~
Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Sounds like an awesome time, Endzoner. Have fun and drive safely -- on AND off the road!

Enjoy the moment you hold that hard-earned and well deserved coin in your hand. Something not to be taken lightly. Congratulations.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Hi, mind if I join your group? My sobriety date is Sept. 6th 2009. I had been here before but slipped.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Welcome Kablume to the group, I screwed up last week and also reset my start date. Wasnt a good weekend as people where congratualting me for giving up beer for a week and I had to break the bad news to them that I didnt make it.

One thing you relise is how much of a habit it has got to over the years and you find yourself getting up and walking to the fridge over and over for no reason. Also find your bladder thinks hey its that time of the night and you also make frequent trips to the toilet again for no reason lol.

But hope to break my record this week and actually make a full week sober

Congratulations to all the other members of this month who are still going strong, and to those that have slipped be strong and please continue to fight the beast that we all want to be rid of

Also endzoner enjoy your break you are a great support
Old 09-10-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kablume View Post
Hi, mind if I join your group?
Good to see you Kablume

Today is Day 11. I never thought I would have made it this far. My 21 year old self would beat me up right now if that makes sense.

I went over to my sisters again last night as my girlfriend was working a fundraising event and I noticed that my "social phobia" is back in a big way. This doesn't mean that I don't make friends but when I am in a large group of people I don't know I tend to sit in the corner and say nothing at all. Around people I know I don't have this problem. I guess I used drinking to get around that. Blah, I'll deal with it though... better than being hungover all the time.

Good luck everyone!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Meow

Thanks for the kind words, NewLeaf.

Have fun endzoner! Congrats on six years.

Welcome Kablume

A couple of random thoughts.....A coworker came over to my desk to look at a piece of paperwork and my first instinct was to pull back so she wouldn't smell my breath. Then I realized that wasn't a problem today.

Also, even though my face is still overweight (cause I am from all that beer!), I thought it looked a lot less puffy and more smooth this morning.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by karma79 View Post
I went over to my sisters again last night as my girlfriend was working a fundraising event and I noticed that my "social phobia" is back in a big way. This doesn't mean that I don't make friends but when I am in a large group of people I don't know I tend to sit in the corner and say nothing at all. Around people I know I don't have this problem. I guess I used drinking to get around that. Blah, I'll deal with it though... better than being hungover all the time.
Good luck (((hugs and support)))
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

So I did a stupid thing last night. I had a beer. I only had the one, but it was dangerous and stupid. It was after work, I had left early to watch my sons race in a cross-country meet, so on the way back from the meet I swung by the office to get messages and emails. The office after hours was a classic place for me to sneak drinks, and the office fridge always has beers. (It is almost company policy.) It was dinner time and my blood sugar was low and I had let myself get dehydrated. All of these things are triggers for me. I pondered whether to drink that beer for a good five minutes before I popped the cap and drank it. I did not really want another, and other than being concerned about what it meant to my recovery, I did not obsess over it.

I guess the real question will be today. Up until now I had a Zen like serenity about not drinking ever again, and I have not been craving it at all. This is a big change for me compared to previous attempts. This morning I can feel a subtle change in my attitude. It is not a craving, but my confidence is not where it was either. The real test will be this afternoon, I am supposed to meet a good client and a friend. We meet once ever month or two in a funky little bar that is on the way home for both of us. We have a pint or three and go over his account and catch-up. Up until last night I was pretty confident that I could get through this meeting with club sodas. This morning I am thinking I should put off the meeting until next week. This was supposed to day eight for me, assuming that I get through tonight unscathed, I am inclined not to reset the clock to zero. Wish me luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Meow

Best of luck to you recycle. Stay strong!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
The office after hours was a classic place for me to sneak drinks, and the office fridge always has beers. (It is almost company policy.)
Oh man this is so evil, lol.

Good luck recycle, hang in there, you are still doing great man.

This weekend I have to work a charity event in which I will be pouring beer for Octoberfest (I know it's not october, I have no idea why they do this in September). It's going to be hard. I agreed to do this a month ago as I was like "hell yeah free beer and food? I'm in!!" but now I am thinking about not going. A lot of friends will be disappointed in me if I don't show up though. Maybe I WILL go and just kind of wander around or stay off to the side? I'm still pretty committed to not drinking and I made it though last weekend okay but argh... I wish I could cancel.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by karma79 View Post
This weekend I have to work a charity event in which I will be pouring beer for Octoberfest (I know it's not october, I have no idea why they do this in September). It's going to be hard. I agreed to do this a month ago as I was like "hell yeah free beer and food? I'm in!!" but now I am thinking about not going. A lot of friends will be disappointed in me if I don't show up though. Maybe I WILL go and just kind of wander around or stay off to the side? I'm still pretty committed to not drinking and I made it though last weekend okay but argh... I wish I could cancel.
When I was going through my anxiety program, I had to learn to say no even if it would hurt the other person. As someone who has run volunteer events, I know how much of a pain it can be when volunteers cancel - but I also know they can survive without you (especially if you give them plenty of notice). I know it would be too tempting for me - all that fresh smelling beer around.

We're having a golf outing this weekend. I know I can survive the golf (especially if I manage to have someone other than my husband ride with me) because I golfed yesterday without beer. The 19th hole will be difficult, but I think I can manage. If I can't, I'll leave and hubby can catch a ride home with someone else.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

day 2

I started sobriety again yesterday 09-09-09, I am really hoping I can do it. I also have many problem drinkers/alcoholics and a couple addicts in my family so I think I need to go back to al-anon. I am a heavy drinker for sure. I also have anxiety but I am hoping it will get better without drinking. I am glad all of you are making it and I am sending support to all of you and all of you struggling. I had made it 9 days in August, but flunked out of that class and now am in September. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I postponed my meeting till next week. Things are going too well to mess it up with work. Priorities you know

Karma, good luck this weekend, you may have stronger and clearer goals if you go.

Purple Cat, you continue to impress me. I have a drinking spouse too, she has at least 1 or 2 glasses of wine every month. Your Kung-Fu is strong

Welcome rubycanoe
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you struggled recycle but I think you made a good choice with the meeting
Learn from that beer, but don't dwell on it too much ok?

D
Old 09-10-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Day 6

Hi everyone.. New to SR and September... I knew that I wanted to quit so I ditched my friends which were not going to help. Ditched my BF which is a bartender and likes to drink quite heavily too. This scared me and I started to have a breakdown even though I knew it was the right step. I started to binge because of losing them. I asked my sister for help. She flew from San Diego to help me detox. The tremors, sweats, etc were horrible for the first couple of days. Today, I feel great. I can't believe I let it get this bad! I don't ever, ever want to feel like that again. I feel so good that we painted and retiled the bath. Now I making goals to keep me sober. Everyone's posts have helped sooo much.. Thank You!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

I'm back again almost.
I have decided to give detox another go, and will embark on that quest tomorrow. I will get the campral today instead of wasting my money on the alcohol to get by till tuesday. I scared myself a little with the withdrawal symptons but now realise that it was probably an anxiety attack (never had one before). There is always the emergancy department and my husband has this weekend off so I have the support I need this time.
I will still see the doctor on Tuesday anyway, but I need to do this now rather than put it off again.
Thanks all.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
thanks for giving me a promotion Auschick!

D (ee 74) LOL
You are welcome LOL, sorry about that. I have destroyed way to many brain cells over the years.