Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
I haven't been on in a while, sorry, but I did read everyone's posts so I'm up to date.
PC-don't get down on yourself, I haven't quite quit either. Had 11 beers on Tues and had to call in to work Since I've cut back I can't drink like I used to. I'd drink from 15-18 everynight, sometimes staying up until 5am and still make it to work. It's a good thing though. Now I know that, unless I want to work my tolerance back up, I can't drink without having to miss work.
Last-good for you! The 3 day mark seems to be the first really hard hurdle.
Above-thanks for starting this thread. I always feel like asking for too much attention when I post a new thread in the Newcomers section. I can't imagine how hard it is to have a drinker in the house when you are trying to quit. I really admire you.
Karma-awesome! It doesn't take long does it for your body to start healing itself? I spent so much time drinking I looked like crap all the time so I didn't realize how much I had aged until I majorly cut back. It was sobering-sorry bad joke
End-thank you for your input and encouragement.
All of you have helped tremendously. :ghug3
Sorry if I missed anyone.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi all! This is my first post and count me in for the September Sobriety Group. I have tried several times to get sober before but I never seem to last very long and this time I really want to do it. I pray that I can. My first day was technically 8/31 so this is day four for me. I send positive thoughts to the rest of you in the group and everyone else!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Cool ella... today is my day 4 as well. Good to see another person in here
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

goodwork ella23 welcome to the september group. Great to hear you guys have made it to day 4 as well. This is the longest I have gone withouth beer for a long time

Had the though of beer in my head on the way home last night but then thought about this group and what is the point in sitting at home with a beer in my hand looking like homer simpson for the night when I could be doing something instead.

Here comes the weekend and fathers day so I am going to be strong and avoid the beer on sunday. Going to crank up the excercise on the weekend to remind me why I don't want to ruin my body anymore.

Aboveitall good to hear you are going well. Keep up the great updates guys love reading this forum in the morning to motivate me before starting work.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by fluxcap View Post
Here comes the weekend and fathers day so I am going to be strong and avoid the beer on sunday. Going to crank up the excercise on the weekend to remind me why I don't want to ruin my body anymore.
Fathers Day? Where do you live? It's Labor Day this weekend here in the US. Fathers Day is in June.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

I had to read that post twice myself cuz i thought i had misread it .. yah where you at ? was a really good day today im a bit beat but thats ok , it just means ill sleep like a rock . I work my normal job and when i got done i went to the inlaws farm and started on our weeknd project of scrapping and painting a barn/garage .. OMG ive only got one side done and that was almost 5 hours worth of work .. and iant even picked up the paint bruxh yet .. ooh well ........ Im greatful today for being able to do this , If i was drinkin i think i wouldnt of even gotten a 1/4 of that wall done ..
Tomarrow morning should be interesting will i or wont i be able to move my arms ... well good to see all the fresh faces congrat to each and everyone of you , keep up the good work and possitive thinking ......huggles to you all
:ghug3
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Thankfully, PurpleCat pointed me in the direction of this thread and you can count me in too as a new member of the Sept. group.

I was feeling better when I posted earlier and that seems to worn off for now but I'm really trying to hang in there and not be too hard on myself which is not a real talent of mine.

I wish I could say I didn't drink today but I did less than I normally would but I'm already feeling guilty about missing 2 days at work and I'm just trying really hard to maintain until Saturday and then figure out what I'm going to do with myself.

About 6 yrs ago, I had a substance abuse problem that I was able to wean myself off of with the help of NA meetings and a desire to quit but really I just switched it out for drinking and can't say that I did any real work on changing my habits. I basically left my program not having really learned much of anything.

Six years later and I've just progressed and physically I feel it so much more now and I've just watched all the problems and consequences stack up around me.

Fortunately, I don't feel hopeless but I do spend most of my time feeling like my hope is on thin ice but I'm trying really, really hard especially since my son is usally only steps away from me and I have to put on a good face for him.

It's done me a world of good to sit here and read all your posts and I look forward to getting to know everyone better and learning more about recovery.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ella

You too Fluxcap - you must be from my neck of the woods...it's Fathers Day on Sunday in Australia and New Zealand and the Pacific

D
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

love your photo Dee.. thats just to cute !
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'd like to join in on the September group.

I'm on day 3 as well (hour 52, actually), and after a restless, sweaty sleep, I'm actually feeling a little bit better

I only had a sec to post - I'm off to work where hopefully everything will be okay *still worried*

I'll try to come on during the day. Take care everyone!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I couldn't do it yesterday and I am so ashamed. My problems just seemed so overwhelming I didn't know how to deal with them. I'm back on here today. Starting over.

Dee, didn't you used to have Floyd Pepper or one of the other muppets as your avatar? Well, this cat is cool too.

Welcome CircleSquared and Ella. and welcome back OddSpot.

Here's hoping everyone here did better yesterday than I.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Welcome Waterfountain. Maybe I should start counting hours myself! In the early days every MINUTE seems like an accomplishment. Keep going.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=fluxcap;2353634]

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You too Fluxcap - you must be from my neck of the woods...it's Fathers Day on Sunday in Australia and New Zealand and the Pacific

D

fathers day here too is that why i seem to follow you around dee
Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Welcome circlesquared, fluxcap & oddspot! Good to see you three in here now!

AboveItall - it's all good. I can't even begin to imagine trying to do this with an active drinker in the house. The fact that you made it as far as you did is amazing to me AND that you are starting over! You know how far I would have made it? Well, let's just say no where.

Day 5 right here. I of course thought about buying a beer on my way home but I didn't. HOWEVER I did have a non-alcoholic beer or two. At some point I am going to have to stop drinking those as well because you have to walk right past all the real beer to buy it, ha.

This three day weekend has lead to many invites to lakes/going out/etc with friends who drink heavily (but not every day or every weekend). One of the crappy things I have done is shut out friends who don't drink and kept friends who do ---- even if i don't like a few of them all that much, lol. My girlfriend is having all sorts of issues (not related to alcohol thank god - she doesn't really drink) so I doubt we'll be going anywhere which for the time being is probably a good thing.

I haven't told anyone in real life that I am doing this. My girlfriend (who lives with me) hasn't even noticed. Like I said though, she has her own issues going on right now and I've been "avoiding" her a bit this week.

Good luck to everyone! I'll be around this weekend.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcomes and welcome to the other newbies. AboveItAll I am sorry to hear you slipped but just get back on the horse and I am glad you came back on. Yes, just like Waterfountain lets count the hours, minutes, etc!

So I was doing pretty good (it's day 5 for me) but now I am going to be going to the beach this weekend for labor day and I am worried because I know people will be drinking. I know it's going to annoy me that everyone else is drinking and I am not so I keep thinking maybe I will drink this weekend and start over after?? Ughh I know I shouldnt! I know that if i drink I have the possibility of getting really drunk and looking like an idiot. Also when I drink at night I always want to keep drinking in the AM and I would be totally embarrased if anyone caught me doing that! Anyways, thanks for all your support!

Hoping everyone else is doing well!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ella23 View Post
Also when I drink at night I always want to keep drinking in the AM and I would be totally embarrased if anyone caught me doing that!
Ugh, I do the same thing. I used to call it "Getting Re-Drunk" and anyone who caught me doing it would look at me like I was crazy (because I was, lol). One thing that has been keeping me going is remembering how crappy I feel the next day when I do this. Another thing keeping me going is that at some point I am going to have to be around drinkers and I am going to have to face it eventually anyways. Good luck ella ..... !!!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Meow

(((AboveItAll))) Hang in there and try again.

I had a really nice talk with my 14 year old son last night about my drinking and how I felt about it, as well as touching on his dad and the fact that he will still be drinking. It was a great conversation. Even if my hubby won't be all that supportive, I know I have my son in my corner. It is a comforting thought.

I will be talking in more detail with hubby this weekend, and I need to reach out to my parents too (we are close).

Is there anyone in your family that can help you? I feel like it will be such a hard struggle with him still drinking like usual.

Welcome to our newcomers! Good to see you here, circlesquared. I don't usually venture into that forum too much right now, but I couldn't sleep last night. Glad I stumbled into you there.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Just wanted to chime in one more time here and say that the overwhelming sense of dread I felt every single day is pretty much gone. I'm not sure if anyone else felt this way during the week from being hungover EVERY DAY of the year. When I was hungover I didn't want to do anything after work but go home and drink some more to "feel better". I'm a programmer and I've probably got more work done this week than any week in the past few years. I've always done good at my job though... it's just that now I don't have a headache and I'm not watching the clock all day long. Very nice.

Also wanted to say that this forum is awesome. It's helped me a lot to just be able to type all this crap out and reading how others are doing. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I hope things are going well for everyone! It's a little too difficult to respond individually to everyone while I'm trying to be inconspicuous at work (I have the window sized so small I can only see four lines of text, and nothing on the sides o.O)

I've been having a very rough morning with the physical withdrawl symptoms. I feel like there's a vice on my heart, and I still have strong radiating pain in my shoulder, back and neck from my poor pancreas still obviously being inflamed.

But, I know from my first and only other experience with this, it will pass, and drinking would only make it worse and draw out the detox even more. But it's sooooo difficult dealing with this at work - having to interact with co-workers as well as strangers but at least I'm at a desk.

I hope those of you that are in the early days too don't have it too rough, and I'm rooting for you!

One minute at a time today.... been watching that clock in the bottom right like a hawk.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

hey hey Water welcome to the class of sept ... i just noticed were neighbors .. Im In North Dakota .. tosses a virtual hug your way , should be there ooh in a cpl hours with the winds .. see yah around hun and keep up the good work , these things your going thu as you will see , will pass .. huggles ~ Endzy ~