Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

endzoner, bummer about the chat; hope it works for you on your next attempt! If you're interested, there's a great read titled "The Tao of Abundance". It has a workbook-like appearance, but I glossed over that part during my first reading. I plan to revisit it soon (maybe a few more days, once I'm more steady) and go ahead a work through it. Amazon-it; you'll probably be able to find a used version very cheep. After that, anyone interested in Taoist quotes should always check out some variation of the Tao Te Ching.

Fletch, that sounds great! I'm so thrilled that your day 2 has gone well enough for you congrats!
I am indeed looking forward to each sober minute - this time tomorrow will be head-long into day 7 for me.
sooooooooooo anxiety-filled about tomorrow. I'm just going to continue to breathe deeply, drink lots of water, and hang out on SR and other sites.

Welcome auxilio! I wish you luck in your journey!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

made it to day 2 again Last night I was so figgity couldnt get to sleep kept thinking of all the things to do and all the things that where stopping me sleeping. For starters I could hear my computers fan from the bedroom and then it was a full moon and the light was shining through a gap in the blinds straight on my face lol. Then I got to sleep and some dream mustve scared the crap out of me and I jumped and woke the wife up .

Also when bad things in life happen I am trying to stay positive and not turn to beer to forget about them. My daughter is only 7 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, 2 years ago and we found out yesterday she needs to go into hospital to be checked for a condition that makes her alergic to gluten. This will involve a camera down her throat while she is knocked out. Not looking forward to that

Anyway it is good being sober I am finding myself making better decisions at work and in life. One thing I find is that you feel like taking up new stuff all the time now, thinking about maybe picking up a book to read (been years).
Old 09-07-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Water , yah it happens now and then .. ooh well i didnt stress on it and im sure ill see you in there .

Flux , Im sorry to hear bout your lil one , no parent likes to see there child go thu anything like that or anything for that matter , Our prayers with her and you to find patience and tolerence to endure what you must , Stay focused stay in the moment ,

Aux welcome to the SR class of Sept , were glad your here . stick around post , share .

Fletch.. Harry is a lucky hampster , there cool lil curious pets and im sure your son is enjoying watching him run around that condo checkin out all the rooms , and to add to that . Im sure its even funner for you to watch your son , watching Harry .... such simple lil things in life that make us smile , and you dont gotta drink to enjoy whats rite in front of you . congrats on another day sober . !
Peace and Serenity ~ Endzy ~
Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AboveItAll View Post
Since today is September 1, and today is my first day, I thought I'd start a group. Anyone else who wants to claim September as the month they got sober/straight please feel free to join me here. I know I can use the support and friendship.

9/3/99

Sept. is a good month

Wishing you the best on your recovery
Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Meow

Day 1 for me tomorrow. Hugs to all of the Sept folks!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Endzy sorry I freaked you out. I was trying to be dramatic. It freaked me out. Now it seems funny - sorta. Leaf, glad you got it.

Water, yes it the dream was filled with symbolism: I am already damaged by this addiction. It is dangerous, and it does not fight fair. I was way more upset about having a beer in my than I was being cut. I wish I could battle this in some testosterone filled cage match and be done with it, but it is going to a longer tougher fight than that. I look forward to hearing how the Tao applies to recovery. I recently read it again (Stephen Mitchell's interpretation) after many years.

Auxilio, Zing, Purple Cat, glad you are here.

Flux, my heart goes out to you, I wish your little girl good fortune. You have a lot to stay sober for right now. I have found that self-hypnosis and brain wave entrainment recordings the best non-drug way for me to get some rest. They are some free recording samples on the web search for "binaural beats" and look for something in the alpha or theta range. They will not knock you out, but I have found they quiet the "monkey brain" that insomnia can cause.

To the rest of the September crew. Good fortune, and a brighter future.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I got through the first twenty-four hours. First few days, I have to take it an hour at a time. Had a red rash that covered my liver for a few hours, sweating, and now slightly itchy skin...but at least I can go to sleep knowing I won't wake up hungover.

September solidarity.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
Day 1 for me tomorrow. Hugs to all of the Sept folks!
hey purple cat dont forget to come say hi to us in august.... we will miss you too much if you stay away

hi to everyone else as well
Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Hello all. I hope you had a good and sober weekend. Needless to say, I did not. I drank less than usual on Saturday and Sunday because I had a friend who doesn't drink and her family visiting, but once she was gone yesterday, I hit it pretty hard. So I am back on day one today and feel like crap.

I don't know where to begin with support. You are all so brave. I think that relationships are really tough to maintain during the transition to being a sober person. I think it is because you are really a different person when you drink than you are when you don't drink. I know that I have a hard time tolerating my husband when he is drinking and I am not. I use that as an excuse to go ahead and drink.

I love the list ideas: Reasons to Stay Sober, Reasons to Drink. I think I'll write mine in my blog.

Hugs to all and stay strong.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I have the book "Tao of Sobriety". I like its approach. I have not studied Buddaism (sp?), but what I've read I really like.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

AboveItAll, stay strong! You are doing really well. Like I said... I can't imagine doing this with someone drinking all the time in the house.

Well, today is Day 9 for me. I feel great. I went hiking again yesterday and my girlfriend slept almost all day which was nice. I also did a ton of yard work I have been neglecting for quite sometime, haha.

I agree with you AboveItAll about the relationship thing.. I'm not going to whine about my girlfriend anymore (lol) but I'm starting to discover that we are not compatible.

Stay strong everyone and take it easy!!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I wrote my blog with a list of Reason's to Stay Sober...I thought it would be fun if we each gave a reason here so we can all share:

1. Reason to stay sober: MY KIDS NEED ME
2. Reason (excuse) to drink: It helps me tolerate my problems. (wow, that does seem lame!)
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Day 6 - Got some solid sleep last night - No Boogie-men. Today may seem like a challenge, but so was yesterday, and I am sure tomorrow will be too. I think they call it life or something. Keep a smile on your face, and good luck.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Today is September 8

Hello All,

Today is my second day and I want to stay this way. If I don't I lose everything so that is going to getme through I know. Thank you for starting the September group.

Yesterday was the hardest for me. Labor day I am usually at the club in the dunk tank getting drunk but not yesterday. I was at home with my husband all day.

Keep it up everyone! I know we can do it together!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

reason i stay sober ... lifes way to short to see it thu hangovers and blurred vision , I love seeing the world thu clear eyes and mind , this way i can remember what Ive experienced !
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! Purplecat Hugs back to you. Good luck with day one. You can do it. So I ended up drinking this past holiday weekend. Fortunately, I didnt drink too much so it wasn't horrible but I am back to Day 3 of sobriety and am planning on sticking to it! I am here if anyone needs to support. My best to all of you.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I'm joining the September club. This morning I woke up sober and this evening I'm still sober. Just ordered a chinese curry and am going to eat to my sobriety.
Godspeed to everyone.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

Hi, I'm joining this group as well. September 3rd. I am grateful.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey September crew, how we all doing, seems like we're all doing great by the sounds of it, well done all.
Couldnt wait to get back on here and post, so proud of nearly completing day3, no major worries yet- well except for awful nightmares and hardly any real sleep, but hey I no it'll get better in time.
Joining the September group I think has really gave me that extra little push and determination to stay sober and off the disgusting vile devils juice, urgh..... I dont even like the stuff anymore, it doesnt do to me what it used to and I hate the way it makes me feel, so strange to hear but why did I keep going back time and time again? Anyway...

Waterfountain well done on what was it day 6 or 7 now thats cool, liking the deep
breathing, drinking plenty of water and sticking with SR

Endzone, lil things in life that make us smile, so so right and I can remember it aswell, you dont need a drink to enjoy it.

Purple cat and everyone else, good luck and hang in there, lets do this for ourselves firstly and everyone else will follow.

Im already looking forward hearing and reading from all u fellow septembers 2moro.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Welcome December - nobody ever got addicted to curry. (Well maybe a little, but that was the 80's and everybody was doing curry

Cath - I am glad to see you here. Hopefully we can provide some support in addition to the brave steps you have taken.