Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Good Morning Sept Group

Good Morning everyone

It's 9am East Coast time and day 1 waking up really great! Thank you for all the support yesterday as it truly got me through my first day of sobriety. Today, I am going to a family BBQ about an hour away so I'll be making a pasta/veggie healthy side dish. There will be Chardonnay (my poison) and beer there but ironically, social setting are not my weakness...I'm 100% happy drinking bottled water with lemon. It's the 'after work' routine that seems to get me Yesterday, I also made a list, hand-written with the top 10 reasons for quitting drinking; I will read this list, aloud, every morning, late afternoon and evening.

I wish you all a wonderful SOBER day and remember to do something you like and is FUN....a movie, a game, a walk, a trip to the mall or outdoor downtown area.....take your mind off drinking!

Enjoy your day, be good to yourself and others around you!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Originally Posted by circlesquared View Post
Have we met before perhaps?

If I stayed out of bars then yes that would be about right but I haven't so if you triple that figure then you're closer to my amount which in some places (not really here in LA with rents being what they are) is equivalent to someone's rent payment every month just to drink.

Ashamed? yes. Knocking it off? really trying to.

All of your reasons sound familiar with my own extras thrown in but for me right now the only real reason is because I'm out of control with my drinking. I feel like I used to be smarter and more self reflective but right now I'm trying to go through a brick wall and I guess after I stop I can start working on the whys.

...and honeslty, since you asked, I can't remember the last time (within at least 3 yrs) I went without drinking for a single day. A.single.day.
No matter what any of my wino friends say that is not ok.
so very true , thanks for saying that , i think many needed to hear that
Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
Yesterday, I also made a list, hand-written with the top 10 reasons for quitting drinking; I will read this list, aloud, every morning, late afternoon and evening.
Good to see you in here Natalee. That's a good idea, I think I will do the same.

Today is Day 7. I feel .. refreshed. Normally on a Saturday night (especially over this lonnng weekend) I would be drunk as hell but I stayed sober again. I avoided going out and I'm glad I did. I also cleaned up my office which is something I have been meaning to do for about a year now. I am finding that sitting on the couch all weekend like I used to do is not working for me. I feel like I could run 100 miles. I think I am going to go hiking today.

My girlfriend and I are invited to a BBQ tonight. The wife who invited us I really like -- I think she's a great person and probably one of the best mothers I've ever met. The husband is a bit of a jerk and very much a heavy drinker - the type of people I am trying to avoid right now. Everytime I go over there he tries to get me to drink rum with him (which I rarely do - always been a beer drinker) so I am going to sit this one out.

I watched a bunch of college football yesterday ... for the first time...sober. LOL. It was still just as enjoyable.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Natalee, I think the list is a great idea. Don't be afraid to update the list from time to time, you may find that there are important things you may not have seen, and some of the things that you thought were going to be important may be less important. We are the only animal that can simulate the future, that does not mean we are very good at it. Keeping the list updated will keep it meaningful for you. Oh and keep the old lists, looking back on how you have changed can be very insightful.

Also, do not be afraid to reverse the question. I made a list of ten best reasons to get drunk, it was pathetically weak. My list went something like this:

1) I want to, and if I don't get to, I'll feel deprived. (That was the rub for me for many years. It is childish and it is no longer true for me, at least today.)

2) People expect me to. (That was kind of an eye opener for me, I don't hang with a lot of people that drink inappropriately, nor did I get smashed in social settings (very often), but people do expect me to have a drink in hand when they see me. Welcome to the new me.)

3) I'll have to admit, at least to myself, that I am an alcoholic and that will be embarrassing. (Again an eye opener for a variety of reasons that are long and likely not very interesting to others.)

4) I won't have to face the trials of the day until tomorrow. (I have always procrastinated, and a little bit of a chicken s***, this will be an ongoing challenge for me.)

That is about as far as I got. Pretty weak. It was a good introspective process for me.

Anyway starting day four and I feel calm, and a little proud of myself. In the past, on a typical Sunday morning, I would have held back a snort of bourbon for my morning coffee, and plotting how to escape for few hours to catch a buzz. How embarrassing is that compared to #3 above?

Good fortune to all, and be nice to yourselves, you are all worth it.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Thanks Recycle . Excellent feedback and I will take your advice and update my list. Today has been wonderful. I went to church, went for a 30min fast walk at the park along the hudson river, went grocery shopping, came home and made fresh bruchetta to bring to the BBQ at 2:30pm. It was my first time making it and it came out really nice! I also picked up those little italian style toast-bread crackers. Botton line, if I drank last night, I would have hung out at home, watched Tv, checked email and picked up something quick at the store. I had a full, delightful morning and will have an enjoyable afternoon with my bottled water wLemon. Keeping busy and doing fun things are a reminder of what alcohol will not do for you. Have a wonderful day and I'll check back early this evening. Thanks again for your positive words
Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Well, I mowed the lawn this morning. The entire lawn. I have a really big yard and it usually takes me two evenings to get it done but I did it all this morning. I also went on a hike. Doing so was maybe a trigger for me because I used to bring 6 tallboys on my hikes but I went sober with a bottle of water. LOL.. hiking with a 6 pack of tall boys.. I never made it as far down the trail as I did today. I actually went so far that the trail ended. And then I felt like hiking some more.

I must say it is really nice to not feel like **** all the time.

My girlfriend got upset when I told her I wasn't going tonight to our friends BBQ so I guess she gilt tripped me in to going. I am going to go... but I am going to stay sober and try and keep our trip as short as possible. Ugh.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi all September sobriety group

Would you mind if i joined in, I no its 9 days in already, but I am on day1 (again) and would really appreciate the help and support to keep me going and get through this 1st month?
Thanks SR family
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Fletch - this is a great group...you'll fit right in

Have a good weekend, guys!

D
Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

were glad to have you Fletch ... and welcome to SR.. were glad ur here
Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Great job Natalee; sounds like you're making great progress!

Karma, that exercise you got done sounds excellent kudos! I wish you luck on your possibly stressful evening. Though, I think you'll find a way to get comfortable in there somewhere.

Fletch, welcome! I'm early on too, so you'll definitely have me cheering you on.

Thanks Dee, have a good Labor Day!

Hi folks! My physical detox symptoms have begun to fade this afternoon, so I'm starting to feel much better; even ate a bunch! My mom invited me out to the state fair so I walked around there all day with her, drank water, and ate enough that I don't feel soooo out of it anymore
I know I'm still going to have sleep trouble, and the anxiety isn't going anywhere for awhile >.<, but that means neither am I! SR is a fixture in my life now. Take care fellow September folks!

I'll be around on the boards and in chat. Maybe see ya, if not, best wishes!

Keep
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

We do things differently Downunder, WF - I had my Labour Day in May
but

D
Old 09-06-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Dee - you know, I just knew I remembered you posting that you're an Aussie(sp?), but I couldn't be sure
Oh well, I'll make up a holiday for you for tomorrow: Have a good Cocked Eyebrow Day! ... too hard to make a smiley with that. Maybe some truly 1337 person will find one for me.

Off to draw for a little while
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I went to a ball game last night. Just a single A minor league game in a run down old park, last game of the season. My son's had disappeared like teenagers do, and my wife was talking with a friend in the next section. A out of the corner of my eye I was watching this scruffy looking dude that was a row in front of me and to my left, he was just pouring beers down. I had seen him in the parking lot with his buddies. They were playing a stupid game with a long knife, really long like an 18" blade. It must have been the third of fourth inning when all of the sudden I was bleeding. WTF, I had a six inch slice running down the inside of my fore arm. It was not deep but it was producing a lot of blood. There was blood all over my lap, then I saw I had a cup of beer in my hand and more empties between my feet. I was horrified. "Nooooo" I yelled as I jumped up. Scruffy dude turns to me, knife in hand, and says "How bad did I get you?"

I must have looked pretty silly standing there in the middle of the bedroom in my PJs ready to do battle with this demon. Man that was intense, I guess this means a lot to me. Better get my wife some flowers, I scared the crap out her. Day 5, good luck to every one and stay the course.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

WaterFountain - did you draw your logo Ying and Yang sign? Natalee
Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

OK, recycle... THAT'S probably one of the most horrifying and literally sobering dream I've ever heard.

I'll have to recount it the next time I want a drink. REALLY!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Well, had a really boring time last night. I bought a 6 pack of o'douls and used a coozy (sp?) to not draw attention to myself. Everyone expects me to get drunk, lol. Everyone else there was drunk and I've seen it posted a few other times on this board but man... drunk people are annoying. To think I had been like that for so many years. Ugh. Day 8 today, I have almost no desire to drink at all right now though that may change.

I am also beginning to think that maybe my girlfriend and I should split up... she got wasted last night which is kind of out of character for her. She has lots of issues right now... no job, no ambition. I must say that I don't love her quite like I used to. She started a fight with me on our way home that lasted like 3 hours... which was pretty much that last thing I needed. She had surgery last year and has to take hormone pills. Every time they have to be refilled she waits like 2 days (which is NOT good) and then blames me for everything until I figure out she isn't taking them.

She also got a perscription for xanax last month and has been hitting those pretty hard. I've never been in to pills (good friend lost his life that way) so whatever.

Stressful day yesterday.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

recycle - I agree with NewLeaf - what a nightmare! It seems, of course, highly symbolic. Did you sleep the whole night, or did this really interrupt everything? Treat yourself to some chocolate or ice cream before bed tonight; maybe you'll have sweeter dreams *shrug/wink* That seems to have chased the nightmares away from me for now - maybe it'll work for you too! Congrats on day 5!!!!!!! You're doing great! I'm halfway through day 6, and things are feeling a bit better. Good luck to you!

Natalee, unfortunately, I think I'm too left-brained to draw the wispy kind of art that yin-yang has. You're the first to ask though; do you like it? I'm a Taoist, so I wanted to find something to go with that and my name on here. Gonna give yourself something soon?

Oh Karma I'm sorry to hear you had such a stressful time. My suggestion is though a few things seemed to pile up on you at once, wait a few days to see if you encounter any of it again (hopefully not all at once again!), then start to make conclusions. No matter what, I hope you have a much less stressful day. Come on here and post away if that's what it takes - it seems to help most of us from what I've seen

All right folks, I'll be floating around the boards here for while. Take care everyone!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Water I went lookin for you in chat last nite water , but i think it was having an issue i couldnt get in and i seen no one was in there till I went to go to bed , But I was wondering the same thing if it was something that you had drawn , somewhere you had mentioned you were off to draw, anyways i think its a sweet pic . also you said you into Tao .. I read a book and there was many saying or quotes from it , the book never did or i couldnt re-find it . what book they came from . can you suggest a book for beginners ? I just like interesting reading when i read . thanks in advance . and congrats on day 6 .. glad things are improving for you .

Recycle , you forgot to metnion it was a dream . I was freaked out and had to read it several times thought i was missing something . thats one freaky dream , im glad thats all it was . and not real .

Karma .. you will learn this in time but you know what those so called friends of yours that are concerned bout your drinkin , After they get all tanked up could care less and probly never noticed that you wernt even drinkin , could of have a glass of coke in your hand and they never owuld of asked or made not of it . they are to concerned in being annoying , Relationships many of them take a toll when one party gets into recovery . many find that the realtionship was built of that part of you which is trying to get sober . you run out of things in common . It was that way for me and many others will say the same thing . you car bout that other person but its hard to have a structuly sound relationship when one is fighting to stay in recovery . and the other party just wants you to jepordize that and join in at a gathering that you know is riskie for you , btw proud of you for not caving in .
take time b4 you jump into the ending realtionship thing , your not sposed to make dramatic life changes for the first yr , but if it jeoperdizes your recovery then perhaps its something that you really need to think on , I wish you well . and congrats again
And to everyone else whos made it another day wahooo .. its getting better aint it !

Peace out~ Endzy~

Last edited by endzoner; 09-07-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Hey all just checking in, day 2 nearly over yay. hasnt been to bad, woke up sober, very strange feeling but a great one at that. Kept myself busy all day, sorting my company's paperwork making buisness calls arranging job starts and ordering materials, even braved the supermarket for the weekly shop, complete chaos in there- but I was sober and happy!!!

Bought my son's hamster a new cage, put it together, Harry now has a mansion, he's now a happy furry chappy.
Cooked my girlfriend a lovely meal, then collapse, well earned veg out on the sofa in front of the tv............. non of this would of happend if I'd had that fisrt drink, it would of been another wasted day of slobing around boozing it up with out a care in the world.

So So glad Im still sober and cant wait to wake up with a clear, fresh, happy head and body tomorrow morning.

Hope your all well and looking forward to your next sober second, minute, hour, day.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I'm joining as of today.