Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

September Sobriety Group

Since today is September 1, and today is my first day, I thought I'd start a group. Anyone else who wants to claim September as the month they got sober/straight please feel free to join me here. I know I can use the support and friendship.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Meow

I'll join you - today is my day too. I'm also hanging out with the August group - they're a very supportive bunch.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck guys! You can do this! Joining the August class was the best thing I could've done. Stay together and lean on each other. And stop by the August class to say hi!

Purple cat, don't ignore us now that you're in another class. You'll always be in the August class!

Jason
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alright, I'm doing it. Gofish pointed me here. I posted in the main alcoholism forum by mistake..oops. I would post the link but I'm getting this error as I have not posted 15 times yet (You are only allowed to post links to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more. If you are logging in please use your back button to continue.)

Today is my second day. I am dying to stop and buy a beer on my way home from work but I'm not going to.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Karma, with time the September group will grow. I think we now have 49 members in the August class. It's very helpful to have support like that. Hang in there and be patient. Purple Cat will be a good addition to this group.

Until the group gets going, you can go read the posts of the August class. Lots of experiences and information there. Let any of us know if we can help out. We're all newbies too!

Good luck!

Jason
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!

Great way to begin the month of September! WAY TO GO everyone and welcome to "class"!

Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Karma - don't stop! I mean don't stop to get a beer on your way home. I've gone to the refrigerator at least 6 times today to get one for myself! It is my favorite daytime drink. (and nighttime too). That and wine. So far, I've resisted.

Thanks Purplecat, Gofish and BreakFree for your support.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not, but I have that thought. From what I understand that will probably never go away or at least take a long time to go away. I'm here for the long haul, trust me.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've spent all morning reading and posting here to keep myself away from the beer in the fridge...I can't imagine feeling this way forever. Glad to know you're here for the long haul. Me too, I hope.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep it up AboveItAll. I will if you will. This weekend is going to be the real challenge for me I think because I'm going to have to ignore my friends and stay sober. My girlfriend will enjoy that for a change, I'm sure. Just read through the August thread and it looks like a LOT of people made great progress. I'm scared and excited to start this all at the same time.

There is still something in the back of my mind telling me "You can have a beer, you aren't like THESE people" ... but I know I am.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Meow

Stay strong! You're doing great, AboveItAll. karma - you are right. We are like these people.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's a pack then Karma and PurpleCat (and anyone else who joins us). We'll stick together to stay strong and sober.

I can't believe I just spent my entire day on this website, but it has helped! I'm so glad to see you guys, I don't feel so alone knowing you're there going through something similar.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Meow

I posted this in the August thread, but thought the two of you might be interested too:

So, met with the therapist. We talked for about an hour. She said that even without doing the official test stuff (I forgot my paperwork), she thinks I'm early stage 3. I looked that up on line and wasn't happy about that diagnosis. (Stage 3 is where stuff startes to go seriously wrong.)

We discussed AA, which I am rather resistant to. She then suggested intensive outpatient therapy - four hours a night, every night, for something like six weeks. Logistically I cannot do that. My son plays travel hockey, and I cannot depend on my husband (who is in worse shape than me alcohol-wise) to drive our son around. I don't drink before getting behind the wheel of a car with him, but I believe that my husband would. My parents aren't healthy enough to drive my son all over the state to play. There's nobody on our team who lives on our side of town, either, so he can't ride with someone else.

So, she might have been showing me death in order to make me accept pain, but I agreed to try some AA meetings. (She said she wouldn't treat me without them.) She wants me to do at least three a week, plus get a workbook on line that we can use in place of the intensive therapy. I looked on line and found a couple that wouldn't interfere with hockey. One is a beginners group, one is a regular group, and one is a women's group that also has a Al-anon at the same time. She suggested that Al-anon or Alateen might benefit my son. (Now I have to work up some courage to go.)

She said as far as quitting as of right now, I certainly should try but that without a community support system is would be very very hard, especially with an addicted husband. We discussed physical symptoms and anxiety issues and medication that is available. I still have my doctor's appointment for tomorrow morning, so she said if I am having any issues I can certainly see him for medications - or the doctors in her group would be willing to help too.

So, I guess the bottom line is that if I really am serious about this whole thing (and I am) then I need to bite the bullet and realize that I can't go it alone. I mentioned SR and she thought that this was a great additional place of support but she didn't feel that it should be my main tool.

Oh, one more thing. She said that this age (I'm 44) is a prime time for women to either start or escalate alcohol problems. She said they don't know for sure why, but that it may well have something to do with being pre-menopausal and the changes that our bodies are going through.

I quite liked her, which is a much better experience than the last mental health professional that I spoke with. I wanted to throw the coffee table at him he was such a jerk.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story PurpleCat. I hope that your husband seeks help as well, but I guess one thing I learned about myself is that even though I've known I had a problem, I didn't do anything until I was ready to quit myself.

I am going to try going to a meeting tomorrow evening. I looked online and there are literally tons of AA meetings in Oklahoma City so I have no excuse not to go to one. I'll pretty much be here every day. Today is day 2 for me. I don't think I'm physically addicted to alcohol so withdrawals aren't a huge concern for me but I still have a huge desire to go buy a beer after work today (so I'm mentally addicted, I guess). Not gonna do it though!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Meow

I know I can't make him quit. When I talked to him about stopping he said he should too, but I don't think he will. If that causes me problems, I will have to cross that bridge when I get there. Until then, it's all about me.

Good luck with the meeting. I am a very social person, but for some reason I find the thought of going to a meeting intimidating. I have no problem talking to you all behind the anonymity of the computer, but in RL I don't want anyone to know I need that kind of help. Probably comes from my "I can take care of everything for everyone" mentality.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
I know I can't make him quit. When I talked to him about stopping he said he should too, but I don't think he will. If that causes me problems, I will have to cross that bridge when I get there. Until then, it's all about me.

Good luck with the meeting. I am a very social person, but for some reason I find the thought of going to a meeting intimidating. I have no problem talking to you all behind the anonymity of the computer, but in RL I don't want anyone to know I need that kind of help. Probably comes from my "I can take care of everything for everyone" mentality.
I agree with you about the meeting stuff, I am NOT looking forward to it... but i know I have to go if I want to try and get through this.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

HI everyone and welcome to SR .. Sept is my birthday month , Im here to share and express with working a program and takin the steps you need to achieve goals in soberity , On the 8th of Sept ill have 6 yrs soberity . Its been one day and one step at a time , Sure at times it wasnt easy . but with time it has become easier . Today Im living life to the fullest doing things i never thought id be doing . And not drinkin was never in my thoughts of a future for me . But now its just like something I do every day.. I dont drink ! Its been wonderful .. had i known then what I know now .. I would have done it way longer ago then the almost 6 yrs . But I know we all have a plan in life we just dont know what it is ,And tho drinkin wasnt a good plan then , It was something i think i had to endure to get to this point in my life , Im a greaful recovering alki . some dont like that term .. but for me it decribes who I am . I love being sober i love life and most importantly ive learned to love who I am . Ive learned that we all make mistakes I just had to learn what they were and make better choices and accept accountability for my own actions . Today I chose NOT to drink . which makes my day way better then any day I did drink
Sorry long winded here .. but I wana say hi and glad your here . Ive been waiting for sept class to open and its finally here ... my doors always open if you need to knock !
Peace out Endzy
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's the link to yr story Karma79
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-ready-do.html

Good to see you all, guys
D
Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

My last marriage wasnt a marriage , it was more like a party relationship and how we loved to hate one another . tho no children , I couldnt make him get sober any more then I could get there my self , I liked to belive that he drank more then I did and i blamed him for my own actions of my drinkin .
Purple , gosh for bid something was to happen to you , your kids would be stuck with someone who drinks more then you do ( as you say ) . Its a good program AA .. dont gotta take it all .. just take what you need and leave the rest for someone else . We get sober to help our familys and loved ones . BUt its something WE DO FOR OURSELFS first . If we cant take care of us .. how can we take care of another ?
I walked in to AA meeting for the first time.. was scared outta my wits , didnt know what to expect other then the bar scene storys of how there a bunch of god fearing bible thumping cry babys .. well that was furtherest fromt he truth .... what I found was a bunch of people who dont judge , dont meddle, share same desires, and have been in the same shoes we all wear . I found i was able to be myself and share if i want to , or just sit and listen . I was 5 months sober at that first meeting . I did the outpatient for 3 months 4 days a week , and after that did the extended care .. that was the one that made the biggest impact on my soberity .. my counciler didnt sugar coat it .. he was quiet blunt and i disliked him for the first day .. but i tell you one thing .. He made a big impact on my and i own some of my recovery to him . I mite have went back out who knows ( theres more to that lil story ) as to why not !
I do know one thing .. If you or anyone is truly serious bout soberity .. you will do what ever how ever you can to do whats asked .... its simple .. we made time to get drunk , now use that energy to get sober
Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in for September... 9/14/08 is my date.

Purple, I think you'll be surprised with your AA meetings... Find one you like... Try to go early, stay late... That's when a lot of the benefit of a support group comes in... You don't want to put some of your more personal issues out there during the group meeting, but if you learn who you can trust and feel good about, you'll have people who have been where you are now offering their support, in a more one on one setting.

Mark