Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Mornin everyone. day 11 here...slept like crap again last night. It seems like I dream all night, last night most of my dreams were about how much of an idiot I was when when I was drunk or stoned over the past 30 years...I would dream and then wake up every hour or so...they were so vivid. I finally woke up this morning exhausted. I'm gonna try to start eating better today, I think all the sugary crap I have been eating to get over the initial withdrawal/cravings are messing with my sleep. gotta get more exercise to. Anyway, hope everyone has a great sober Sunday!!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Mornning, y'all.

Didn't get much sleep. And I feel soooo bad. Head hurts, torso hurts, legs hurt and so do my arms. Parts I don't even have hurt.

Ugh. This is worse than I remember it, actually. I knew it was going to be bad, but not this bad. And I haven't even gotten to the sweating part...

I had an avocado for 'breakfast'--couldn't even be bothered to turn it into something. And somehow I got it all over my t-shirt.

One sober Sunday, coming up.

TB.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Greetings:

Day 19 here and to quote James Brown, "I feel good." So, so, so, so, grateful to be sober. Didn't think it was possible. Now all I have to do is never pick up a drink again! If I do, I may never stop drinking again. Think I'll do some housework today to stay busy. I find staying busy helps with the cravings. Housework might even help with the muscle/joint aches.

Bubba, Recycle and Ranger - it gets better faster than you think - hang in there and don't drink no matter what. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Primal - I know what you mean about the dreams. At least if we're dreaming, we're sleeping. Funny thing about alcohol and sleep; I think my drinking escalated as a means to help me sleep. Eventually, alcohol became the reason I couldn't sleep. I've been told it may be a few months, or more, before I return to a normal sleep pattern.

Hope everyone has a sober Sunday.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Just took a shower. It's such a simple thing, and it made me feel so much better. I always forget that...
Old 09-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day Negative One

Hello, I am drying out today from a cruise. It is clear I have to stop. I have librium the doctor gave me to help me dry out starting tomorrow. I am a 42 year old married woman with 2 children - a daughter 5 and a son 8.

This is the first time I have actually believed that I am truly an alcoholic. I have always been a heavy drinker, but I have completely lost all control over alcohol. My husband drinks quite a bit, but he seems to still have control over alcohol.

I have always had liver issues but the doc told me if I don't stop I am going to die and he doesn't know when. He does believe if I stop my liver will heal itself and I will live a long life.

Please let me join your group. I do not have my first therapist appointment until Oct 17th. I live way out in the country where there just aren't any AA meetings. Do you think it would be a good idea to attend the online ones? I have been reading the Big Book all day and nursing the weakest wine spritzers it is possible to even still have wine in.

Advice? Anyone know anything about how well this librium is going to work and other things I can do besides turn it over to God and beat myself up like crazy for allowing myself to get this way?

I can't believe I have done this to my husband... You just don't want to know how awful I was on what was supposed to be a well needed family vacation.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, Daisywings.

Not a doctor at all, can't tell you how librium'll work for you. It worked okay for me though. Not like the pills the doctor gave me this time, these ones make me feel stoned half the time. But, I'm pretty sure it works different for everybody.

Alright, folks. It's taken me an hour and a half to restart this Vista computer with its pretty little Service Pack 2. And I still can't get a working version of Firefox up--back to Explorer, which doesn't have all my buttons.

But I've been thinking of this post all along...

Here's the thing. Some people come here wondering if they need to quit, and all that. Me, I came here knowing I did. But I have found out over the last 2 months that I can't seem to pull it off, and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with myself behind this. Seems like a colossal waste of time and unnecessary pain. So, I decided to take a new tack.

As of now, I am quitting for 30 days. Maybe if I have an end goal, I can do it. I don't know what to expect a month from now, if I'll go back or forward--I can't even figure why I relapsed. But come Hell or high water, I am not going to drink for the next 30 days. Don't care what it takes, if I gotta cry myself to sleep or stare at the walls all night long. Before I started trying to quit, I had better self-esteem, and that's not saying a lot. 30 days, da- it, that's all I'm asking of myself.

Make my name mean something...

-TB, shivering in 100 degree weather
Old 09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

ThirtyBubba - don't give up. I've heard it helps to think of it just for today so you can hang in - in small chunks.

If you have difficulty sleeping there is a supplement you can take called melatonin. It is found in the vitamin aisle and taken 30 min prior to wanting to sleep it works. Find the right dosage.

I'm in on 24 hours if you can hang in there with me - starting tomorrow. I suck hard at this too. Maybe together we can figure out a way to just - hang on.

Hang on brother. Please.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Your right battypatty, I guess if we are dreaming we must be getting some sleep...I just can't wait until I wake up feeling rested...thanks for the kind words.

Welcome Daisywings, this is a great place for support and encouragement. I know you can do it...people in worse places than you have done so you can to...just keep trying!

Hey thirtybubba, that is pretty much my mentality. When I started I said I am not going to drink for 30 days...after that we will see what happens...I can't control anything that far in the future. Right now all I know is i won't drink for 30 days and I am hoping at the end 30 I will be motivated to do another 30.
there is a beginner AA meeting close by tonight...I'm really thinking of going. It just kind of freaks me out to think of actually going to an AA meeting, I never thought I would...but I would like to meet others face to face who are going through the same thing I am. Would be great to make a few sober friends to. I'm not 100% sure I will go but I might. Anyone know how long these meetings typically go on for??
Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Around here, meetings are usually an hour and a half. Not sure if that's 'industry standard.'

Daisywings... I'm a lady...

Just for today is not working. I'm at just for this hour, and thinking about reducing that. Already wondering what the heck I'm doing. I know that way of thinking'll go away, once I get to feeling better... but that'll be a few days.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Daisy Daisy Daisy of corse you can join you dont gotta ask . just do as your doing and show up in here post , share , learn and grow . Weve all been at day one b4 and know what its like , As for the lib no clue to that .
BattyPatty .. cut name and welcome and congrats on your 19 days . cleaning was one of my fav things to do to keep myself occupied that and walkin took many 20 minute walks just to get outside and breaht clean air .
there was a bunch of stuff I wanted to say , then i dish up some ice cream and now im at a brain freeze ... well good thing is , it will come to me after i close thins out and i can return to it ..
Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Day zero has turned into day one. Tucked in for the evening and everything is ok. Thanks for the good thoughts people.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Recycle,

-TB, sending more good thoughts out...
Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi peeps! Welcome Daisy. Hope you all hang in there and take it one second/minute/day at a time.

Tomorrow is day 14 for me. I'm at an educational conference now, and for the next three days. Fortunately they have wi-fi in the rooms.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

24 hours sober for me. The gin is screaming at me from the freezer in the kitchen. I can't continue to bear the burden of trying manage to drink constantly and keep everything else in my life in order. And now, my health has been affected. I was ill most of the day so it wasn't difficult not to drink, but now, I'm feeling better and it's all I can think about.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Welcome, BetterTimes.

Congrats on the decision & that ever-so-fun first 24 hours...

How do you do it with the gin in the freezer, though? Wow.

-TB, who has chicken and pillsbury dough people in her freezer because gin in there would not end well...
Old 09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

BetterTimes.......is there any way you could get rid off the booze in the freezer? I know it would be way too tempting for me--to keep any type of booze here in my home.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome BetterTimes. Probably should get rid of the gin in the freezer. You don't need it any more, right?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

I don't know why I have not gotten rid of the gin. I think I want to stop drinking because I want to stop rather than stopping because there just so happens not be alcohol around. The fact that I can walk into the kitchen and pour myself a drink makes it easier for me to get through the each minute without drinking. I can tell myself "Stay sober another hour. Ok, now another" since I have a way out if it gets too difficult. If the alcohol wasn't in the house, I'd probably be in more of a panick about trying to stop.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Interesting theory. Haven't tried that one. Let us know, willya?

On the other hand, I (finally) got bored of the arcade game I been trying to play all day. So I googled this here screen name.

Somebody stole my post & put it in their blog. At least they credit me, but dang.

I'm the only thirtybubba... Says me. Grr.

-TB, walking down to the mailbox with the trademark papers
Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Wow! I never thought about anything like that happening--thirtybubba. I'm not sure what to think about that really...