Notices

Class of April 2020 Part Two

Old 04-21-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Free.

Sober369 Maybe the front porch could become your new PB&J and tea place.
Sounds nice to me.

All the best !
Old 04-21-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Hello darling sodasoba.....yes, I know you have been reading along. Incredibly happy that you joined us. And 8 days is wonderful. s xx ❤️
Old 04-21-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I'm just checking in today,

So one of the things that's helped me at least psychologically speaking is getting on a diet plan that's really more of a lifestyle meal plan. I've been doing keto on and off this year and I've lost around 40 pounds and that's made me incredibly happy and confident as a result, not to mention feeling healthier and becoming more educated on how food can affect not only my body but my mind as well.

Anyway, when I'm on keto, I can't have anything that has a lot of carbs. Well guess what? Lots of alcoholic beverages have a ton of carbs. Therefore, one of the ways I trick my brain into not wanting a drink is having a meal plan set in place and goals listed somewhere where I can see them everyday. I know for sure that if I drink beer or wine or any kind of mixed fruity drink, I will put myself out of ketosis and have to start over again. (long story short, your body goes into ketosis if you stop ingesting carbs into your system and becomes fat adapted)

So with that mindset and that focus, I'm able to psychologically focus away from alcohol and look at it as a diet-killer so to speak.

With that comes my long-term goal of losing 50 pounds. I can't do that if I regularly drink beer or wine, so I have goals like... lose 5 pounds this month, lose 5 pounds next month, etc. etc. Also with that goal, comes me needing to update my driver's license picture this Summer. I don't want to look like a bloated out of shape looking version of myself.

Anyway, I hope that helps others in the beginning. Just set up some goals, the easiest one being simply getting better fit and losing weight or becoming more physically active. Set up a timeline of small goals building up to something like a marathon, a photoshoot of your beautiful self, a wedding party that is happening in the Fall, looking better in a bathing suit, etc. etc.

I can't recommend enough how meal prepping whether you follow a keto diet, a carnivore diet, or no diet at all really helps keep you at bay from going off the charts. If you literally have a list of meals that have already been prepped for Tuesday for example, you likely aren't going to easily stray away from it.

Anyway, have a great week and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Wow, that place sounds wonderful Dig. What country are you in if you don't mind me asking?
How did it go? Did you get set up for good help?
To begin though, good choice on the PB&J

I'm in Ontario, Canada. It might be called other things elsewhere, but I had no clue these things existed until my family doctor referred me the first time back a few years now. This time I basically self-referred myself but they had my file, so easy to get back up and running.

Today was an in-take and an update on my file, and for the first time ever I answered everything honestly. I have an appointment with the same doctor that saw me last time (and I was pleased with her help and guidance even though I didn't use it properly last time) in less than a week. It went very very well today.

In the mean time, I got re-acquainted with all of their services should I need immediate help between now and my appointment.

I guess the major advantage to a RAAM Clinic format is that the doctors (and nurses and social workers, etc.) specialize in addictions and treatment. It's a very top-to-bottom, A to Z, approach to helping someone with an addiction. They facilitate everything from meds to tests/screenings, safe detox beds, monitoring progress (or not), to connecting you with group therapies, in/out patient options, and individual counseling services.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Welcome sodasoba!!! Congrats on Day 8!!! Keep going!!!
Old 04-21-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sodasoba

I'm glad you got through that Karen!

D
Old 04-21-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Welcome Sodasober! I'm so glad you posted. I never knew you were reading along. Let us know how you're doing. Congrats on day 8!
And nice to hear from you Silent. I'm working on improving my health, too. Very inspiring post.
Yes, the PB&J should be on a list of sobriety tools, for sure. If you're desperate a glass of chocolate milk with ice in it can go along. I don't eat like that all the time, in fact I'm working hard on eating healthy, but in an emergency, and to me and probably most of us a craving is an emergency, you do what it takes.
How is everyone, really?
Old 04-21-2020, 07:06 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Hi ya Sober369 (can we just call you Karen now?)!

I'm doing well. Just checking in and reading some posts to get current.

Also, to say goodnight from Canada to the rest of the group. Hope everyone takes good care. Be safe. Zzzzz...
Old 04-21-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hey Dig, I much prefer to be called Karen, thank you! Sweet dreams to all.
I'm off to bed, too.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:57 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

It's 7 am I'm going to head to town now as banks open at 8.
I will not buy wine
I will not buy smokes
I will buy a cake as its my sons 9th birthday .... Cake cake cake .
Old 04-21-2020, 09:52 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe in you Strawberry

D
Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Thank you for the private messages of support that I have received (and the messages in here). They are much appreciated.

I am a realist. I'm clearly not ready. No matter how much misery, pain and suffering I cause myself (and my wife) I just can't want it enough.

People sometimes think I'm harsh when I say alcoholism is selfish - they take it as a personal slight. Some think I'm a bit too unsympathetic when I say that drinking again isn't a 'slip' - it's a deliberate act that deserves no sympathy for what it isn't.

But even for those of you that think I can be a bit too 'black and white' you will at least concede I apply these same rules and principles to myself. I screwed up because I don't want it enough (clearly). I'm too selfish. Part of me clearly wants to self destruct. I'm a f**k up.

I don't want sympathy. This post isn't an exercise in attention seeking. It's how I genuinely feel about myself and I'm trying to articulate in some way what is going on in my head.

I'm going to go for a 4 mile walk now and have a long talk to myself. I hope that it does some good.

JT
Good morning JT.. I haven't seen you check in for awhile so I will assume what you are up too but I want to reply to your post from yesterday and I'm doing it here in case you are still reading but not logging in.

You say you clearly aren't ready yet but I really don't believe this to be true JT, you are ready because what's the next step.....you know how bad it got last time so how bad will it get this time?

You are fighting an old coping mechanism that has helped to push down all the pain and hurt that you feel inside and I know these feelings have come up for you, they are uncomfortable, they are painful and you don't know what to do with them, hence why drinking becomes the easy way out, not because you're not ready but because you haven't learnt any new coping strategies YET and that is how black n white I see it.
You mightve ****** up according to you but you're not A **** up. It will be a constant hard road that you will be in for the long haul, this won't go away overnight.
You have great determination and will power to drink 3-4 bottles of wine a night and still run a rather large company, use that same will power and determination to fight for your life because you are worth it mate.
​​​​​​
I hope you come back and stay back, please for you...
Sorry if this post comes across a little harsh or blunt, I just care for you and want to see you get well.

Nicola
Old 04-22-2020, 01:19 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Morning all, sounds like a good plan so, Strawberry.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Evening all,

Agreed, Reid.

Closing out day 8. Down here in Australia we are heading into Autumn....clocks have been turned back so evenings becoming shorter. Autumn is very beautiful here, the trees changing, the last of the fine days, clear and crisp.
When sober, I try to walk for an hour each day....usually evenings. The dog walkers and runners are out in numbers, pounding down the boardwalks along the rivers here. Lately it seems as tho there are more ppl about, restauarants seem to have customers buying takeouts, the only thing they can serve for the moment. There is a cautious sense that the initial threat of this thing is perhaps receding...... Ordinary life seems to be stirring again.

So.....a good time to try and establish a sober routine. Which for me means life becomes easier, productive and happier. Until it becomes routine and dull same same. Then I fall off and return to the drinking life. Best I've done is about 4 months. But not in the last year. The last year it all has stepped up another notch.
So I've brought myself back here. But, I'm afraid there's no plan in a plastic binder with inspirational quotes, just a growing need to leave that life behind.

later
Old 04-22-2020, 01:43 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Administrator

two great shots of penguins at St KiIda that I'm sure will mean something to you Suze..

A fitting image for the times, and for SR?

Old 04-22-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Administrator

"Our beloved St Kilda penguins have taken the world by storm thanks to these incredible shots by Tobias Visuals.
Tobias Baumgaertner's photos show two widowed penguins comforting each other as they look out at the Melbourne city skyline. The penguins "were standing there for hours, flipper in flipper, watching the sparkling lights of the skyline and ocean".
Although these were captured last year, they're relevant now more than ever at a time when many of us are missing loved ones, and need that extra bit of love and support."

Martin Foley MP

D
Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Lovely pics, Dee. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Good morning JT.. I haven't seen you check in for awhile so I will assume what you are up too but I want to reply to your post from yesterday and I'm doing it here in case you are still reading but not logging in.

You say you clearly aren't ready yet but I really don't believe this to be true JT, you are ready because what's the next step.....you know how bad it got last time so how bad will it get this time?

You are fighting an old coping mechanism that has helped to push down all the pain and hurt that you feel inside and I know these feelings have come up for you, they are uncomfortable, they are painful and you don't know what to do with them, hence why drinking becomes the easy way out, not because you're not ready but because you haven't learnt any new coping strategies YET and that is how black n white I see it.
You mightve ****** up according to you but you're not A **** up. It will be a constant hard road that you will be in for the long haul, this won't go away overnight.
You have great determination and will power to drink 3-4 bottles of wine a night and still run a rather large company, use that same will power and determination to fight for your life because you are worth it mate.
​​​​​​
I hope you come back and stay back, please for you...
Sorry if this post comes across a little harsh or blunt, I just care for you and want to see you get well.

Nicola
❤️❤️❤️ Awesome post. s xx
Old 04-22-2020, 03:35 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Home . Safe . With cake .

Red .... Well said ... You nailed it!
Tony .... Get your arse back .
Old 04-22-2020, 03:37 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Between your descriptions of Autumn and the joggers dear Sodasoba, and Dee's pics of the penguins....I am in tears again. Incredibly homesick.

The penguins are my heroes.....always have been. Growing up in Phillip Island I saw them often, and interacted with them a few times when I was a kid. We used to sit on the sand (many years ago when there weren't a ton of people to bother them) and they would crawl over our legs and rub/hug us before they went up to the rocks. There is video somewhere, my sister has it in storage.