Notices

Class of December 2019 part 3

Old 12-23-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Red, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. It is so sad.

Seems most of us are facing challenges these days. I hope we can all stay strong.

Well I'm grateful to have completed day 10.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Just got back from the animal hospital. My beloved dog is doing a little bit better.

A few things: the doctor on call last night gave us completely wrong information. We were googling at-home euthanasia when the vet tech called for an update, said she had pancreatitis and that her liver enzymes were fine. So, I guess the doctor last night who insisted my dog was jaundiced (and that we didn't know how to use our eyes) was wrong or lying. My dog is advanced in age, so I know this is really borrowed time, but we would like to care for her comfort and wellbeing in the short term.

So, I learned something from this. In the past, even when I was abstinent, but not working on internal issues, I would have blown up at the doctor, or even worse, I may have been impulsive and malleable and would have euthanized her based on his contradictory information. It's only been 20 days and I am so much better off than I was at the beginning of the month. There is no substitute for being a sober grown-up who can handle life. Things may change with my dog over the holidays, but whatever happens, I know I did good.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post

Seems most of us are facing challenges these days. I hope we can all stay strong.

Congrats on 10 days, Mary!
Old 12-23-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post

Congrats from me too dear Mary.

Red's beautiful friend died from an asthma attack.
I still can't get my head around that....life is precious.

We CAN stay strong: we do this together. s ❤️
Old 12-23-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

You did do good Pouncer.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Just got back from the animal hospital. My beloved dog is doing a little bit better.

A few things: the doctor on call last night gave us completely wrong information. We were googling at-home euthanasia when the vet tech called for an update, said she had pancreatitis and that her liver enzymes were fine. So, I guess the doctor last night who insisted my dog was jaundiced (and that we didn't know how to use our eyes) was wrong or lying. My dog is advanced in age, so I know this is really borrowed time, but we would like to care for her comfort and wellbeing in the short term.

So, I learned something from this. In the past, even when I was abstinent, but not working on internal issues, I would have blown up at the doctor, or even worse, I may have been impulsive and malleable and would have euthanized her based on his contradictory information. It's only been 20 days and I am so much better off than I was at the beginning of the month. There is no substitute for being a sober grown-up who can handle life. Things may change with my dog over the holidays, but whatever happens, I know I did good.
You did AMAZINGLY WELL dear Pouncer. s
Gosh vets are maddening.....but I guess docs as well....just the way it is, and this dude was only trying to help. Thank God she is doing better and and can come home and be loved by her family every single day that she has on this earth....and hopefully there will be way too many to count. s ❤️
  # 107 (permalink)  

Day 228 coming to an end here in Ireland now....another sober day down and reflecting on how bad other past Christmas holidays have been, glad to be not drunk.

Condolences on your loss too, Red.
  # 108 (permalink)  

Yes, it is annoying Dee. My daughter, that is. Cut me a break, please.

I think she could have a problem herself. Best I can dredge out of it is that I WILL be sober, and good role model for her.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Well done Reid.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Yes, it is annoying Dee. My daughter, that is. Cut me a break, please.

I think she could have a problem herself. Best I can dredge out of it is that I WILL be sober, and good role model for her.
I hear you Steely.....perhaps she does. s
So we will all be with you and help you stay safe.....although I might be asleep.... But we have a few Aussies here and a sensational New Zealander so I am sure they will be around.

Or post in the July13 thread again and you are sure to get Snooz and PJ. (And Dee of course......). xx
Old 12-23-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Pouncer, delighted your dog is a little better. It's great you were sober and handled the situation so well.

Your daughter does seem unfair Steely. I can't imagine drinking in front of someone who has quit. I guess we are going to have to face lots of challenges like this.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad the news is a little better Pouncer
Congrats on day 10 Mary

congrats to you too Reid

D
Old 12-23-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Good morning all.

I think cats pee on stuff to make it their own Steve. Chairman Meow likes it. He's made it his own.

Day 7 today. Hey, that's a week!
Congratulations on one week!!!!

Old 12-23-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
My dog is terminally ill. I am very sad.
I am so sorry, Pouncer...
Old 12-23-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Sorry to hear pouncer . Glad ur sober for your pup tho. Going to bed already into day 20. Hope we all haVe a good Monday!
Hi Cute ;-)
Old 12-23-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I lost my dear friend today, that I met here on SR, very unexpectedly... I am so devastated words can not express the hole I feel in my heart right now..
I'm so sorry for your loss, Red...
Old 12-23-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I'm finally winding down after a long day. Still not feeling well but a bit better than this morning. Some people have been down for weeks with this (probably the flu) but I have to trudge on.

I'll be at my son's Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Both he and my DIL are drinkers but for some reason, my resolve is stronger when I'm around them. Not sure what that's about. Drinking was never a part of Christmas when my kids were growing up and as they became adults, a bottle of wine with dinner was it.

I just realized (closing in on day 5) Christmas will be Day 7! One of the best gifts I could give myself. I planned on buying a laptop as my gift but I will cherish my day 7.

My heart aches for all the sorrow happening, here and in the world. I've been doing random acts of kindness in December and it does help me feel less sad.

I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts, hoping for comfort and joy for everyone.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

I think it unfair too Mary, and which has me think she has a problem too. She has schizophrenia and the road has been long. She suffers major anxiety. Self medicates.

During my 5 years of sobriety I lived with a man who drank, and would not concede an inch, even in the beginning. I can remember my sister saying exactly as you have said. "Why does he drink around you when he knows you are trying to stop?" Answer being, he had a problem too. Mine was just a little more 'out there'.

I reckon I was used as the measure for what is an alcoholic. Not as bad as Steely, so I'm ok. Jeez.

Screw 'em all, they can all go boil in a vat of cheap wine for all I care now. I just really want and need sobriety. Nothing but good can come from it.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Well done Mary and Reid and Cute
So sorry Red, no words...take care.
Pouncer - so sorry about your beloved dog, you are doing really well coping with this I know how hard it is when a pet is poorly.

Can any one help with what happened today please? I am 36 days sober, and haven't had anything more than mild cravings, which I have coped with. First week of withdrawal - not too bad, the lack of sleep was the main issue, but that improved after a couple of weeks.
So, this evening, well late afternoon, I got really anxious and panicky, could feel my heart racing, felt really stressed, on the verge of a panic attack. I did some deep breathing, and after a couple of hours of feeling very agitated, it passed. Am fine now. At no time did I want a drink, and I don't know why it happened, nothing had stressed me, usual day, a nice day actually.
Is this late withdrawal do you think? I know we're all different, but I suppose I'm asking if any of you have had something like this after 5 weeks clean? I expected something like this in the first week, but the anxiety I had then was much less severe than this.
Thanks
And love to all
Sx
Old 12-23-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Stevie love, it just sounds like a panic attack to me.... s
I get them....I am sober.....5 years odd now.

I guess if you have never had a panic attack before, it would have been really distressing. Is that the case?

And if so, lots of people have a panic attack in their lives without having any kind of panic disorder (as I do)....I would not worry if I was you. It is the season to be stressful, fa la la la la. It shouldn't be, but it is sometimes. s

Again, if it was me, I might go see my doc if it happened again, otherwise just breathe and take time for you over these days. s ❤️