Notices

Class of September Part 2 2019

Old 09-22-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hey Back, thanks for the welcome! Yeah I am a bit concerned that she doesn't say I am. She has said that it's a strict label and she doesn't know enough about me just yet to come to that conclusion. She doesn't however downplay it. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I will know a bit more about what she thinks then. Perhaps I need to see a specific addiction therapist instead? Although I think that after I tell her how awful my week turned out purely because of the booze, I think that it's evidence enough!

I'm closing off day 3 now, tucked up in bed. Although I've been here all day to be honest. I've done a lot of reading and plan brainstorming so I think that that's good enough. Best to try to sleep and get up nice and early for the first full week of the rest of my life.... NOT that I feel like this AT ALL. I still feel under a cloud and very small, but incrementally calmer-the hollow in the pit of my stomach sensation has gone thankfully.

Extremely nervous about work tomorrow. I have a lot to do and I'm especially nervous about being a wreck on Friday and how that will play out amongst the work colleagues.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I forgot to say-good night all. Sober hugs and wishes to you all.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Im 7 weeks AF today. I’ve been noticing how strong and long my nails are getting. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror today and my skin is glowing. No under eye darkness. My body maybe absorbing vitamins better now. I still have only lost 2.5 lbs, really bums me out because I have been dieting and exercising. Hopefully this week my body decides to burn fat.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

That's so awesome mariposa.....and yes, I bet this week you will see more wonderful changes. xx
Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Im 7 weeks AF today. I’ve been noticing how strong and long my nails are getting. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror today and my skin is glowing. No under eye darkness. My body maybe absorbing vitamins better now. I still have only lost 2.5 lbs, really bums me out because I have been dieting and exercising. Hopefully this week my body decides to burn fat.
Are you dieting correctly? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but a lot of people have misconceptions about dieting, which isn't always healthy or effective. A good example is the idea that simply cutting calories will do the job. Ok, cut a few hundred calories, but if you're not eating the right foods, it won't matter. Skipping breakfast to do intermittent fasting can be effective for some and cause weight gain for others because skipping a meal could cause your body to go into fat preservation mode while others it may cause the body to use fat storage and energy.

If it's not something you're experienced with, it's easy to not see the results you desire.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Good evening all..
Mariposa...Congrats on 7 weeks and seeing the healthy benefits!
Checking in tonight after a day of chores and preparing for a busy work week.
I did not have a Fun Football Sunday since the Jags were off, but I did help hubby get our new fence up. Wishing everyone a marvelous Monday
Old 09-22-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
with me it took a long time to start to lose weight cos I was in starvation mode thanks to years of drinking and not eating, or not eating good food, or bursts of over eating between beer binges.

It can take a little time to reset the body clock

Sounds to me like you're doing really well - can't get too much better than looking and feeling good

congratulations

D
Old 09-22-2019, 08:20 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mariposa! It sounds like you're doing great.
Hoping, I hope you feel better fast. Good for you resting and keeping your mind on recovery today.
I'm up too late, and off to bed. Sweet dreams and happy day to all.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 22 here. Way to go Saints yesterday.

Some of my irritability seems to be waning a little. A few less fights with Mrs. Bob Continue to feel better physically too.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 09-23-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in and committing to another sober day. Day 4 for me. I had a better sleep last night and have been busy working from home, keeping my head down this morning.

Feeling a little better. Still have that very flat feeling, like I'm a bit shell shocked. And the invasive thoughts of what I have done are still coming. I can't believe what I put my family through with my drinking. It's mortifying. And what's harder to understand is how I completely prioritise drink just before that first drink. I can't trust myself. It's like I'm blind and all I can see is wanting that drink instead of rationalising the repercussions of it. I really don't know what to do about formulating a plan to prevent entering that stage. Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

First of all..... s

And yes, thoughts.

I am not sure what your feelings about AA are, but the 12-step programs address all of this completely and immediately. We learn that alcoholism is both an obsession and compulsion for us, and we learn ways of dealing with these feelings, with help.

And this thread is just wonderful Hope....it has helped so many of us. xx

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (Urge Surfing)

And also this one....

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Congratulations Mariposa! It sounds like you're doing great.
Hoping, I hope you feel better fast. Good for you resting and keeping your mind on recovery today.
I'm up too late, and off to bed. Sweet dreams and happy day to all.
Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Good morning all. Day 22 here. Way to go Saints yesterday.

Some of my irritability seems to be waning a little. A few less fights with Mrs. Bob Continue to feel better physically too.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Morning wonderful people!! s
Old 09-23-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Morning! Day 6. Still not feeling great which is pretty frustrating. But I’m going to be patient and let the body heal.

Will post more when I feel better.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Maybe God/the universe's way of helping you love....you got past day 5....
But I do hope you start to feel better today.
So much love. ❤️
Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus :-) I've been to AA before but it's didn't work with me. I found it very intense and actually quite confrontational (there were a couple of fights in the ones I went to.) But that's not to say that I don't believe in the messages and the program. I have a copy of the big book and should probably start reading through it. However I do find other quit lit better. Especially Veronica Valli's work.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

OK, sure I understand that big time.
So maybe take the questions you were asking before and look through some of the lit you already have....or online of course...and see who resonates with you.

For me, the essential facts are knowing that the obsession is real, and the compulsion to drink will return. We need to find tools that work for us to manage those times.....maybe you will get a chance to look at the links I posted for you. x
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

My only goal each day is to not drink alcohol. I am single, unemployed, and pretty much have no social life. Alcohol replaced everything until I had nothing left. Unfortunately, there is no instruction manual on how to start life over from scratch at 43 years old. I have taken the right steps to start I think. I have a new sponsor who lost everything, ended up homeless and drinking mouthwash on the street, and now owns a house, car, new career etc.

I sometimes think I am too old and too far gone to have the life I envisioned before alcohol took over. All I can do is trust my sponsor and people in AA/SR. Won't drink today!
Old 09-23-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
My only goal each day is to not drink alcohol. I am single, unemployed, and pretty much have no social life. Alcohol replaced everything until I had nothing left. Unfortunately, there is no instruction manual on how to start life over from scratch at 43 years old. I have taken the right steps to start I think. I have a new sponsor who lost everything, ended up homeless and drinking mouthwash on the street, and now owns a house, car, new career etc.

I sometimes think I am too old and too far gone to have the life I envisioned before alcohol took over. All I can do is trust my sponsor and people in AA/SR. Won't drink today!
I kind of think there is an instruction manual, of sorts.
Your sponsor could write it and so could I.
It is recovering alcoholics/addicts sharing with each other.....and this really worked for us....and we want to pass it on. s

The first part is the hardest I think....getting some sober time up, sitting with your feelings and seeing things that are well, very upsetting.

My most loving advice is please try not to listen to your head too much right now....all of the I am worthless stuff is horrible....I almost choked on it...one step at a time. One day at a time. You will start to look in the mirror again and say wow, what a fantastic looking human....how healthy.....and the seeds of self-esteem start to grow. s xx
Old 09-23-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Wonderful words Venus! They give me hope! Self esteem returning seems a bit foreign to me at the moment!

Tucked up in bed with a book and SR. Feeling safe.

Goodnight all xxx
Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Goodnight, sleep tight. ❤️