Notices

Class of September Part 2 2019

Old 09-20-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone! Great to read all your posts. Hang in there everyone, sober weekends are the best.
Three days is great Quit! I hope you rest and relax and get well really fast.
Thanks for your very helpful post, Venus. I need to hear those things, too.
Wasting, I know it all looks so bleak right now. Venus's words are so true, though. If you stay sober, amazing things can happen. I believe in you!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Happy Friday to you, Karen, and to all! I’m looking forward to a relaxing night watching “The Good Life” and snacking a bit. 19 days today, not like I’m counting
Old 09-20-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hello all! Day 5 for me here.

I'll be sticking close by the forums this weekend. I'm hanging out with a friend that I feel squicky about. We quit drinking at the same time and were trying to motivate each other. Thing is, when we both picked up again she was just "having a rough day" and I said I was "relapsing." I mentioned that I might start going to meetings and she insisted that that was only for "real" alcoholics... okay. I know that I isolate myself when I'm at my bottom, so she nor anyone really ever sees it. I need to remember that. I've seen how bad it can get. I don't need to "prove it" to her. At least tomorrow, we'll hang out in the morning with the goal of getting work done. It shouldn't be an issue!

I used the money that I would have spent on booze on buying myself a copy of Just Dance for the Wii I still have. I know it's not scientifically correct to say I'm "sweating out toxins" but it sure does feel great to get my heart pumping! Unfortunately I don't have blinds in my front room so anyone who passes on the street gets to see my dance party LOL!

Everyone's posts in this thread have been very motivating! Thank you so much for writing them!
Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

With so much love....why are you hanging out with this friend this weekend? s

You need to be in the most positive environment for recovery right now....no?
I wouldn't put myself through that. s x
Old 09-20-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I've always been able to sober up after a prolonged period of drinking. 3-4 days of detoxing is very uncomfortable but I have been through it dozens of times. It's when I am entirely sober after a while that I can't maintain. I have to face my very real problems and the hopelessness of my situation. I am essentially unemployable due to the red flags I raise and inability to clear any vetting process.

I cannot support myself without financial support from family. At 43, this is just pathetic. Why should I bother going on? I am not suicidal or anything but I don't see any hope for me sober or drunk
it took me a little time to find hope again, WL,

I really underestimated the effects of drinking the way I did had on my mind and body.

It took me three months just to not feel bad. It would be great if we got sober and everything that was messed up in our lives suddenly got better but unfortunately we have to run on faith for a little while that we;re doing the right thing.

We also have to put little effort into getting what we want, You say you're unemployable but I bet you're not. You may not be able to start in the job you want - but any job - a job for now - would help you be independent and not rely on your family so much.

You have a number of problems but they;re all fixable...so long as you give yourself a decent chance and stay sober.

It may take a l,ot longer than you like to fix your life - but it is possible, You're already on your way

D
Old 09-20-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Have a great clean weekend everyone, off to the farm once again to try and do some harvesting. its been so wet up here in Canada, crappy fall weather.

36 days in, feel pretty good. Traded off the family boat and my old truck on a newer model. My wife says its my reward for getting back on track. I think I am. Most of you know my story, I was sober for five years in my 30's, then the beast got ahold of me again. This time was initially harder to quit, but as the haze clears I am remembering the good life, a life without booze.

To all you on SR struggling with doubts of when and whether it will get better, you will have to take this old fossils word for it, it will. You simply have to give it time.

Tkr everyone. Remember to do something fun this weekend.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hello September crew. I was in the July gang and got 60 days, then went out with work and blew it all. Went home afterwards and bought a bottle of wine on the way home. Today is day 2 after a horrible hangover day yesterday.

I’m so very scared. I was doing well and then just let all of that go down the drain. I wish I could just sort this all out and accept that I’m an alcoholic.

I’m full of self loathing and don’t know how I can come back from this. I feel like I just want to hide away for a week or so. But I know that I need to get back on hear and use the great support on here.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard hopingwishing

I found that I had to act for the outcome I wanted....and as much as I hated at the time having to choose not drinking, drinking was killing me.

I'm glad I chose non drinking now, my life is a million times better

D
Old 09-21-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 20 here.

Trojan-My story is at least a little similar to yours. When I was 35, I quit for 5 years, for health reasons. A little pressure from father-in-law at Thanksgiving, and here I am 19 years later.

WL-I don't really think that you can make any decisions about whether there is any hope until the fog of booze is removed from your brain. You may find after the fog lifts, that you have a ton of potential and at that point, actually have it in you to go and pursue that potential. Hard to see when you're under that fog though.

Welcome hoping. Sounds like a learning experience to me.

Udnt-I actually do believe that we sweat out the toxins

Mike-I think about that day count as soon as I wake up in the morning

Hi Karen-Hope you have a great weekend! You too Quit and Red, Tinker, Pouncer,Runner, and RAL. And anyone else that I missed. Like Soda. Where did you go?

We have tailgating for a noon kickoff today. Believe it or not, tailgating with the drinking will be going strong by 8am. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about how a lot of them are going to feel by late afternoon. Yuck. Anyway, Go Gators! Beat Tennessee!
Old 09-21-2019, 02:49 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee-I know that being sober is the right choice for me. I just can’t seem to make it stick whenever I go out with people. I’m in my 30s and single. For some reason that makes me worry that I’ll have a whole lifetime of missing out. I began romanticising drinking again-thinking I was missing out. But I just don’t drink like other people.What am I missing out on? I know deep down that I have to stop for good if I want to ever be happy or content again.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

All I can tell you hw is this thing is progressive.

It gets worse.

Don't get to 40 like I did drinking alone cos you were too embarrassed by your behaviour to go out anymore.

I go out now and have great fun sober - more fun than I ever had drinking.

I have to admit its not the same social circle these days, but it's better in every way.

D
Old 09-21-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

That sounds exactly like the place I want to get to Dee. I hope that I will get there. I need to remember that things unravel really quickly for me if I drink, that it IS getting worse!

I’ve been out for a run this morning and it was very hard. I’ve come back and just feel hopeless. I don’t want to feel like this anymore. Last day 2 ever.

What am I going to do differently this time? Stay close to this class. Do more for other people. I have been a little self centred the last couple of weeks and I think that’s led to me lapse.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think about the kind of situations you put yourself in too - if you can't make it stick when you go out with people, you either need to change your ideas on fun for a while or have a really strong ironclad recovery plan to deal with thing like denial cravings peer pressure and the eff its?

D
Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It's great to see you here, Hoping. I think I was in the July class, too. And August! I'm sorry you're feeling hopeless. That is a bad feeling I know too well. Day two is wonderful, you are getting it out of your system. Be kind to yourself, not only do you deserve it, but it will help so much for staying sober.
Congratulations on 20 days Bob, and to everyone on your sober days. I love to count, too. I'm always a little surprised when I see that number going up. Great feeling! Today is 25 for me!
I like giving myself sober milestone gifts, too, Udontknowme. It's like an award, and adds some extra positive vibes to recovery.
It's the fist really cool day here. I am so grateful. I've been cleaning and hanging out with my grandson and the dogs. Charley goes back to training today, and we always get a lot out of that. I think I was three days sober in his last class. I wonder how it will be different now. I know I'll be feeling better and have more energy.
Thanks for all the great posts, everyone.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Just finished listening to a Long lecture from my husband, yet again, about getting a bottle with him and having one drink in front of him. This time I didn't argue. Just smiled and know that I will never do that and he is only coming from a place of deep hurt. I can not drink at all.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good morning, Class!

Welcome back, Hoping. I’m so glad you found your way back. We are here for you and we understand.

Awake, you sound so grounded. Keep smiling at hubby and stand firm!

This head cold is killing me. But I will say, it is a blessing since it’s gotten me to day 4 with zero desire to drink. Off to relax today. I’m supposed to take my kids to a school picnic this afternoon, but there is rain in the area, so really hoping it gets postponed.

Love to all of you and thanks for posting; It’s what I look forward to morning and evening now.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good Saturday to all!

HW...Welcome back...glad you are here. I felt hopeless many times but I started to look at a slip as an opportunity to learn. 60 days is great and we don't lose that sober time. A podcast I listened to referred to a slip as "research" we do that helps move us towards freedom from our addiction.

Udntknowme...Dancing...what a fun workout! I love to sweat and I do believe it gets rid of toxins...whatever it does it feels good! Well done rewarding yourself!

Thorse..Going to a farm to harvest sounds lovely. Please send your crappy fall weather down to Florida.

Bob..have fun tailgating....GO GATORS!

Karen...enjoy the Fall weather with your grandson and fur babies!

Awake...You handled that well...stay strong!

Quit...Hope you feel better soon!

Although I planned to do housework today, I enjoyed being outside mowing grass and pulling weeds this morning. The inside work is still waiting for me though
Wishing everyone strength and peace this weekend
Old 09-21-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopingwishing View Post
Hello September crew. I was in the July gang and got 60 days, then went out with work and blew it all. Went home afterwards and bought a bottle of wine on the way home. Today is day 2 after a horrible hangover day yesterday.

I’m so very scared. I was doing well and then just let all of that go down the drain. I wish I could just sort this all out and accept that I’m an alcoholic.

I’m full of self loathing and don’t know how I can come back from this. I feel like I just want to hide away for a week or so. But I know that I need to get back on hear and use the great support on here.
You are already coming back from this.

Sometimes, the label is a bit daunting.....alcoholic....hmm....I did not like it much either. It upset me. I bet it upset a lot of us. So I told myself that I could not handle alcohol anymore. I had had my fill. Which was true....when I added up the wine bottles per week x many many weeks/months/years it was staggering.

You are a wonderful person who had a bad few days, and made some decisions you wish you hadn't. You get to learn from that....and I totally agree that you don't lose the 60 days you already had.

Sending huge hugs and loads of love. s

.....I have missed you all today: I got up at 2.30 in the morning to watch an AWESOME football final (Aussie Rules) and then went back to bed for a few hours, and now I am ever-so-slightly behind today.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopingwishing View Post
Thanks Dee-I know that being sober is the right choice for me. I just can’t seem to make it stick whenever I go out with people. I’m in my 30s and single. For some reason that makes me worry that I’ll have a whole lifetime of missing out. I began romanticising drinking again-thinking I was missing out. But I just don’t drink like other people.What am I missing out on? I know deep down that I have to stop for good if I want to ever be happy or content again.
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
All I can tell you hw is this thing is progressive.

It gets worse.

Don't get to 40 like I did drinking alone cos you were too embarrassed by your behaviour to go out anymore.

I go out now and have great fun sober - more fun than I ever had drinking.

I have to admit its not the same social circle these days, but it's better in every way.

D
That's where I was when I started drinking....in my 30s, single and having a fantastic social life around music and a lot of drinking. And a lot of drugs. And I knew I was in trouble after I totally blacked out early in the night of my surprise 30th bday party.....I had to ask what I did. I still have no memory of it. After that, I blacked out every single time I got drunk, which was every Friday night/weekend at that point. I was still having so much fun though.....until I wasn't.

One night I got very close to one of the 'yet' s....the things we hear can happen to us if we keep drinking. I almost slept with a man that I had no interest in, and he was much older than me. I literally woke up from a blackout and ran out of there. I was mortified.

So I knew that I couldn't drink in public anymore....

See how messed up that is?

I couldn't drink in public anymore because I always blacked out, and I wasn't safe. But did I stop? Or even consider it? No, because this is a progressive disease, and the blackouts were messing up my brain.

So I quit my social life. And started my own private party at home, but hey, why wait until Friday? I was maybe 33 at this stage.

I didn't quit at 40 like Dee....I struggled desperately for 17 more years (from the age of 33). A few months here and there of sobriety and recovery, and then boom, back I went.

By 49 I knew I was dying, or close to something like that, and I had ruined my life. The 30 year old who just wanted to have fun did not understand how crippling this thing is.

I am just very very lucky that I found SR and garnered the courage to try one more time.

And something else....one of my best friends back then is a wonderful woman called Lauren Burns, daughter of a famous Aussie pop star: Lauren is an Olympic taekwondo champion. She partied with us.....every Friday night.....and often she didn't drink. She was in training. And she was the most fun of all of my friends....and she always had fun, was always just so happy. A lot of people asked her how she could do that without a drink and she just laughed. She said we were all crazy and had it backwards: she said who needs booze when you are high on life.

Sorry for the diatribe.

❤️
Old 09-21-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awake61 View Post
Just finished listening to a Long lecture from my husband, yet again, about getting a bottle with him and having one drink in front of him. This time I didn't argue. Just smiled and know that I will never do that and he is only coming from a place of deep hurt. I can not drink at all.
I don't understand love. s

Is he upset that you are not drinking with him?
Pressuring you that you can drink normally and 'there is nothing wrong with you'?

I am not sure why some people feel this way.
I am just really sorry you are going through this....I would think he would be proud of you.

I know We all are. ❤️