Notices

Class of September Part 2 2019

Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of September Part 2 2019

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...2019-a-20.html (Class of September Part 1 2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful Thursday (afternoon) Dee

And good night and good whatever part of your day it is.... 💙
Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was walking home from an AA meeting this evening when I passed by a museum that hosting a cocktail reception of some sort. People all dressed up and holding glasses of wine. I began to romanticize drinking again. How quickly I forget about my many trips to the ER and numerous nights spent in jail....
Old 09-18-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, all! So pleased to get back to day one. It has taken me 10 days or so. I am so tired tonight so I will definitely post more tomorrow and stay close to SR.

I confessed to my husband again how I had been sneaking and lying about drinking. He is right there with me to hold my hand through this. I basically asked him to babysit me for a good 30 days, so I can get solid sober time and let the healing begin. I must never drink again. That is my only option. Now it’s time to work at this. Off to bed. See you tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good evening all.
Nice to read all the activity today
Congrats everyone for the successes and strengths!!!!
Trojan...Congrats on 1 month!!!
So glad you are back Venus...Very cool song...thanks for sharing I will add to my recovery playlist! Also, congratulations on upcoming 2 year wedding anniversary!
Karen...Let us know how you like the new books...I have read a bit on the Refuge Recovery site and it has interested me.
Mike...I enjoy Recovery podcasts too...I listen to them when I walk my dog, do housework or if I am in need of a distraction from an urge. Some of my favorites are Recovery Elevator, Recovery Happy Hour, The Bubble Hour, The Recovery Revolution, and SoberSoul Recovery.
If I need something sweet to avoid a slip, I have dark chocolate (it's good for your heart they say) and almond butter or berries with a little whip cream always available.
Quit..keep on fighting...we are here for you!
I am digging the cooler weather here in Florida...not really fall yet, but much more enjoyable. I had a delightful walk with my sheltie by the river this evening. Grateful it was cool enough to walk him before dark for a change.
Wow..the month is going fast! Wishing everyone peaceful dreams and a terrific Thursday
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wastinglife...Congrats on attending your meeting and staying strong!
Quit...We can do this!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quit we are here for you, stay in close contact with SR

Not much to say tonight, wishing everyone a great clean night and tomorrow a fruitful day.

Just happy to be sober
Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Posting to bookmark

Day 25. I’ll hopefully become more active as I heal
Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Midton

D
Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Quick check in, partner asked me to buy booze at supermarket, argghh freak out, however its done and I even navigated my way AROUND the free wine tasting.
Feeling shaky, don't know if it's the lingering effects of the migraine or withdrawls which I've never really had before, whatever it is I don't like it..
Old 09-18-2019, 10:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

He must know what a struggle it is for you Red. Even if he can't really understand that, I reckon he should buy his own booze.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
He must know what a struggle it is for you Red. Even if he can't really understand that, I reckon he should buy his own booze.
I haven't spoken with him about it as I'm scared about him using it against me at some stage, I mean telling him what an issue it is, I think he sees it as a dirty habit like smoking that he partakes in with me sometimes..
Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back quit.

Red I agree with Dee. Your partner can buy his own booze

Congrats to everyone on sober time.

Oh def got sugar hangover this morning but better than booze.i am seeing this as a one off and not starting to eat chocolate. I have kgs of berries in the freezer as am a fiend for fruit picking 😀 perfect for cravings so no excuses.

It's a gorgeous day here. I stayed at my beach caravan last night and it's the first morning here I've woken up sober in many months. I see the sun rising truly as a positive sign.

Also downloaded the sober app last night and working on my plan today.

Have a good day all
Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I haven't spoken with him about it as I'm scared about him using it against me at some stage, I mean telling him what an issue it is, I think he sees it as a dirty habit like smoking that he partakes in with me sometimes..
all the more reason to stay sober then maybe Red? He can't use evidence of solid recovery against you

and I still think he should buy his own booze if you present your non drinking as a lifestyle choice.

It would be like asking me a vegan gf to buy me steaks.

D
Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 18 here. Wow, a lot more activity since yesterday morning. Well, at least morning for me. Rattle, I guess I can call you Mike as well? I'm actually David.

Red, I have to ask, where did the phrase Dutch Courage come from? And also, he can buy his own booze. I used to think that I was showing strength by saying doing stuff like that didn't bother me. In reality, it did, and I don't do it anymore.

RAL-Hope things go well for you. Lying and sneaking are things that I have been guilty of. Glad you could talk about it. My wife and I tend to just sweep things under the rug without talking about it.

Good to hear from you Midton. Runner-I'm glad you're noticing the cooler air. It hasn't gotten anywhere near what they were forecasting for here.

WL-Wow, just wow. "many trips to ER and jail" I have thought about this many times. There have been so many times when I probably should have landed in ER or jail. I am actually dumbfounded when I think back. Have been VERY fortunate. I actually did land in jail once, but I was 18 and it was written off as being young and stupid.

Karen-I am one of the weird people that really just does not enjoy reading that much. Maybe a history book or maybe a book where I can learn a new skill. Weird, huh? I used to have an uncle that said he couldn't even imagine a person that didn't enjoy reading

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Bob or David. I think I'll always think of you as Bob 😀

Im an avid reader. Murders detective stuff. Romance. General life stuff. Spy thrillers. Oh and ive just started doing a course in religious studies. I'm not particularly religious but very interested in different religions and what makes people religious and why. I'm dmfinding it fascinating and its certainly filling my normal drinking hours
Old 09-19-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It must have been wonderful waking up on the beach sober, RAL. What a huge blessing!
Quit, it's great to see you're giving it another try. When I was struggling so much to get past a few days sober, I often thought I should give up. I thought there was no way I could do this thing, it was just too hard. I felt like I was just one of those destined to die a drunk. I only have three weeks, so not saying I'm cured by any stretch of the imagination, but I've gotten past that horrid part where I was unable to quit. Now, I just have to stay sober no matter what. It's a lot easier, to me, than getting sober to begin with. Just get through one day at a time and soon you'll get to the point where it starts to feel better.

I felt so good yesterday. It was awesome. I thought maybe I was getting into the pink cloud period I hear tell of. Maybe so! I would love that. I've gotten so use to feeling bad, that it's wonderful and strange to feel good.

The book, Refuge Recovery, is very complicated. It's not easy reading by any means. I am learning from it though. I do want to live and think positively and I do want to let go of the past. I also want to take up meditation. There are a few things in my life right now that are really bothering me, and this could be a huge help with those things.
First things first though, right? I need to keep using the tools that have kept me from drinking so far, and keep them a priority.

Midton, it was great to see your post. I thought about you last night after I signed off. Please keep us updated. I am praying for you every day.
Red, it's so good to hear you are staying sober. I agree, I'd make him get his own booze. If he's not supporting your recovery and you can't trust him, you don't have much to lose, it seems to me. Can you just tell him no and not give him an explanation? Just say, I not only don't drink it, I don't buy it either, and that's just how it is. You can smile when you say it, that may make it better.

It's going to be a great sober day. I have lots of problems that I have been ignoring for years, and now I am so tempted to try and solve them all. But I know better. Today is about being sober and following my recovery plan. All the rest will fall in line eventually, or not, but I will be sober whatever happens.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

RAL, I think I would love to take a class in religious studies. I'm not religious, either, but am very spiritual. I love God and anything that has to do with God, I just don't believe in any one faith to the exclusion of others. I love Wayne Dwyer and the way he looked at spirituality.
I'm learning about Buddhism right now, and it's very interesting and completely different from what I thought it was. Did you know, Buddha's name was Sid? That just amazed me.
Well, I had better get the show on the road. So great to read all your posts. I love it when our class is busy!
Old 09-19-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I was walking home from an AA meeting this evening when I passed by a museum that hosting a cocktail reception of some sort. People all dressed up and holding glasses of wine. I began to romanticize drinking again. How quickly I forget about my many trips to the ER and numerous nights spent in jail....
I liken it to a seductive but abusive relationship. Forget about the alllllll the bad times and play up the minimal good times that don't really exist..
Old 09-19-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Once, as a young greeter here, someone rebuked me for using their Christian name on the boards - so I tend to stick to user names, with only a few exceptions, since then

D