Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 4

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey, Bumble, and to all the Maysters out there.

My Dad had a traumatic brain injury a year ago that followed with hydrocephalus, and that has resulted in moderate symptoms of dementia in him, as well as general loss of strength, and, I feel, depression. It has been a hard road to follow for our family, and though I worry I try to help make him as happy as I can in a variety of ways.

My Dad *loves* that I have stopped drinking, BTW. Me, too.

I feel that my Winter and the Spring are going to fly past for me, despite some hard days here and there.

I have to work out what I'm going to do this weekend, but I'm willing to go with the flow for the next two days.

I just ate two cookies, that sugar thing from the holidays must still be with me some...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

It’s Australia Day and there’s lots of drinking happening here today and it’s a long weekend. I declined all offers to go to barbecues today, and there were several, all from old friends I know who drink a lot, and today is very commonly used as an excuse for them to get absolutely plastered. I used to be one of them getting plastered.....
Today I just don’t have the energy to be amongst people intent on getting drunk because “it’s Australian”. No it doesn’t have to be. And I’m tired. So I stayed home. On the couch. With a book. And a cup of tea. Yep that’s me for the afternoon.
And now that I think about it, I might have some biscuits (your mention of cookies is very enticing Guener). I’m glad your Dad seems brighter

Have a good weekend everyone Monday is a public holiday in Australia
Old 01-26-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hey, Willow, that sounds like a nice afternoon to me. That and the ice cream, LOL, would be ideal vs. drinking IMO. Good choices.

I applied this morning to an online job helping students applying to colleges and universities with their essays. That is something I think that I could enjoy, and it's part of what I do in my career of working in higher education. I'll let you all know if it works out (if I'm accepted to the position).

Life feels good to me this day, I'm going to enjoy it.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

That sounds great Guener good luck!
I’m happy to wake up hangover free, unlike most of my friends and neighbours.
It’s the middle day of a long weekend, 10.30am and I’ve been quite productive this morning. Clean sheets on the bed, fresh towels in the bathroom, two loads of washing done, floor swept, chickens fed and watered and fresh hay in their laying box. Cat fed, watered and patted. And patted some more. And more lol .
Now time for another coffee
And I still have all of the rest of today and all of tomorrow and the weather is wet and windy so a good excuse to chill out at home on the couch with a good book
Have a lovely Sunday weekenders. If you’re tempted to drink, don’t. It’s just not worth it tomorrow. Because when tomorrow comes you’ll regret it. As Dee says!(I think) nobody ever regretted not drinking. Waking up sober is the best
Old 01-26-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

So I got confused before and thought I was posting in the weekender thread... hmm I’ve done that a couple of times now. I think I still have some alcohol related brain fog. I used to have a really sharp mind and I rarely made mistakes, but since I stopped drinking my memory has been quite patchy and I make a lot more mistakes. Unless I just used to make them and didn’t realise.... But I’m pretty sure my memory is worse than it used to be. Especially my short term memory. Someone said grief will also contribute to brain fog and memory loss. I’m going to ask the grief counsellor when I see her in a few weeks time, because I’m starting to wonder if I’m getting some kind of degenerative neurological disorder....
But I’ve heard it can be part of the brain rewiring itself after quitting drinking too.... I hope my mental capacity improves soon because it’s a bit scary. I even forget words. Everyday words like kettle, door, box. And have to hunt for them. And I forget what I just said, what I was just about to do etc...
I’m definitely going to talk to the counsellor about it...
Old 01-27-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

You're not alone on the brain fog and memory issues, Willow. Sometimes my brain just locks up when I'm trying to remember or say certain things, especially names of people. It is very frustrating when it happens to me. I've never been a dizzy person when it comes to expressing things or recalling information, so it really gets my attention.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hello class,

Here’s my opinion on the brain thing. It’s our age and our brain damage from our addictions. Also amount of stress/anxiety/depression.

I found that I actually remember things better. Where I put things, etc. now that I’m sober.

Bumble. I had laser to my face too !!!

Help get rid of some red nose veins. Help some collagen production. Painful but worth it!!

8 months tomorrow. Day 244 today. Ethereal really.

I really think the power of positivity and the law of attraction stuff is really working for me.

Drove up to Duluth and back, 1000 miles round-trip to see my daughter for two hours. She is in a locked unit, and will move to another place at the end of next month. I am so thankful and grateful that she is not out on the street. And I do hope that she takes the bull by its horns with her sobriety choices.

The high this coming Wednesday will be -13°F. Yes I said that would be the high. It is a frozen tundra, A land that God forgot all about. 😳. No one feels like doing anything but hibernating and laying in their beds. And since a big attraction about my house is the nature outside, I was thinking very hard this morning having my coffee about that.

Had an epiphany this morning that I’m not going to put my house up for sale until May. Feels so good!😊😊😊😊

I had never heard of Australian day, but it sounds like a good plan Willow just to hang out and not participate this year.

Guener—that sounds great!!! I’m sending positive energy waves your way.

My love to you all
Old 01-28-2019, 01:02 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you, Free, stay warm, and congratulations on the eight months today!

It's going to be a busy week for me ahead, with some personal appointments, a couple of deadlines and meetings at work, just the ongoing things of Life.

I read an article in the Guardian that somebody shared about alcohol's effects on the brain that was shared on another thread. It was very interesting. My AV grabbed hold of the part that said synthetic alcohol is under development that doesn't have the damaging impact on certain brain chemical production, but I immediately squashed that idea. I don't want to go back to using substances to temporarily change my perception of the world, it is a place that I just cannot go. I'm feeling too good about my new sobriety.

My cats are hanging all over the computer table, so got to sign off until later, LOL.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hi Free,

I'm doing OK thanks. Glad that Christmas and New Year is over with and have now passed 8 months. I see that you are on the verge of 8 months too, well done!

Hello also to Willow, Guener, Bumble - well done for resisting temptations.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi everyone

D
Old 01-28-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi everyone

D
Hi Dee, hope all is well.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Hi guys!! Hope everyone had a good Monday!

Free- my laser treatment is to hopefully correct two small blemishes in my face. One is a scar from a mole that was previously removed. I try to go to the dermatologist annually- my mom had skin cancer, but thankfully has been clear for five years.

my weekend was nice. I went to a 1 year old birthday party accross the street. All my neighbors enjoy drinking a lot. Interestingly, I noticed one guy was not drinking. I was wondering - in My head if he quit too, if he had issues like me... I mean, this guy always is happy to drink for any reason, any day. I guess I will see what happens with time.

I am always so intrigued by other people’s drinking habits.

the powerful connection between the brain and alcohol ... it is so interesting. My brain struggles at times, I feel a lot is due to drinking.

well I guess I should go be a mom now, got some things I want to get done before making dinner.

have a great day
Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hi Maysters

Free, congratulations on 8 months

I read that article too Guener, and my AV had the same thoughts about the synthetic alcohol! Then I reminded myself that putting synthetic substances in our body is such a bad idea!

Have a great sober day everyone
Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I hope it is a good hour for everyone.

I'm shaking off one of those dreams where you are physically unable to control your body. I was constantly falling down and in pain, couldn't stand up. Without any interpretation attempted here, I'm just glad to be awake from that feeling.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Oh I hate dreams like that Guener! What a feeling of relief when you wake up and realise it’s just a dream!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

It’s absolutely pouring rain here, has been for days now, with roads cut in and out of town. I’m staying put today. Luckily I stocked up on milk so my coffee supply won’t be affected
Old 01-29-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

ROFL about the coffee, Willow. I was eyeing my supply of it this morning thinking that it's time to buy some more. NO running out of my morning cup for me!

Today I felt kind of lethargic about things, it happens. My brain is just a bit of mush this evening, so I'm hoping a good night of sleep will put me back on foot for tomorrow. Some things I just don't want to do this week, bleah!

But I do feel glad that I'm sober for another day and see nothing that will keep me from staying that way.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:12 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Yes coffee is a priority
I’m feeling rather lethargic too Guener. I can’t really be bothered doing much in this rain. I’m staying indoors, the sound of the rain is relentless. I’m thinking I might watch a DVD. I very rarely watch tv, it’s been months and months since I’ve even glanced at it lol, but I have a number of DVDs that I haven’t watched, so on a rainy day like this it might be just the thing
Old 01-30-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi everyone so Sunday morning I had my epiphany about putting my house on the market later because everything is frozen. Today when chills -50° below zero Fahrenheit
🥶

My new epiphany is that I do need to put my house on the market I’m only going to be here through four weeks from Friday and then I am gone. I still have so much to do ahead of me. It is overwhelming as I cannot do it when it is so cold outside. I went to the store last night and was texting one of the realtor people back-and-forth about light fixtures and I spent over $400. The reaktor want me to change my bathroom countertop to a marble one which will cost over $2000 and got two quotes for $5000 for painting and two moving quotes for between 6000 and $9000 for moving 😩🤯

I want to get my taxes done and straighten out things for paperwork for the new homeowners I need to pack more of my things and straighten out the basement where I just have a plethora of everything I think I either need to sell our dump. Things I’ve put online for sale everyone wants to give me pennies on the dollar for. It’s pretty sickening.

I want to get my taxes done and straighten out things for paperwork for the new homeowners I need to pack more of my things and straighten out the basement where I just have a plethora of everything I think I either need to sell or dump. Things I’ve put online for sale everyone wants to give me pennies on the dollar for. It’s pretty sickening.

I almost feel like I’m newly sober with my emotions and my thoughts all over the place and feeling so lost. Remember that feeling you guys? Feeling that we don’t know if we’ll make it through alive? That’s where I’m at right now not with drinking but with this whole move thing and changing my career department, climate and lifestyle. My daughter said I’ll be missing her prom. I am coming back for their graduation from high school.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Egad, Free, that's a whole lot of things to have on your mind and a huge chunk of funds to try to come up with. I don't know anything about selling a house, but I guess or hope that your return on the investments will be recoup-ed in the sale. That's just so much to think about, no wonder you are fit to be tied.

All I can do is offer you a giant hug of support and let you know that I have confidence in you to come through it all.