Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 4

Old 01-11-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Just keep plugging away at it, Free, it will get done. You're doing a good job paring down things and what better way than to donate, too. Surprisingly, clothes weigh a lot more and take up copious space in moving that you don't expect, so good job. I hate to say it, because I love kitchen stuff, but that's another area that you might look at for reduction in what you choose to bring. Moving is such a pain, but in the end you'll be grateful for the choices you make about keeping vs. carrying along.

My work on the grant will depend upon the application by the two faculty members being accepted by the corporation that is sponsoring it, but it's nice to have that iron in the fire.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Yes Guener I have an appointment lined up for February. I feel better having it in the pipeline so to speak. Interestingly my GP asked more probing questions about my emotional situation regarding the loss of my parents than the previous counsellor had in quite a number of sessions. She also told me the grief counsellor I’ll be going to is very good.

Free I know moving is such a huge job and very stressful. It sounds like you have a good plan to donate some and keep some. You will get there by plugging away at it bit by bit. It’s good that you’re not taking everything, a chance to keep just the most important things, and a fresh start for everything else
Old 01-12-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

How’s everyone going today?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Hi guys!
I’m feeling pretty good overall. Can’t believe it is going to be 8 months soon. I got teared up thinking ahead to my 1 year.. and thinking how I’ve much I changed so far.

I was in a bad place... priorities were screwed... happiness was measured by much wine I had hidden.. I was resentful towards my husband... I was tired constantly..

I literally woke up and couldn’t wait to go back to bed. It’s sad, really.

All of that changed. It’s crazy how much someone can change in a short period of time.

So, that is how I’m doing- how are you doing willow? And everyone else in our may group?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hi Bumblebee, so good to hear how good you’re feeling!
Getting sober is the best thing I’ve ever done, I’m sure.
Yeah I know, 8 months right? I can hardly believe it, and my 8 monthiversary is tomorrow! I’m going ok, still having waves of grief, but I’m plodding along.
I’m trying to cut down on sugar, as I ate way too much during my 3 weeks away (partly because everyone was drinking, I used sweet foods to keep the alcohol cravings at bay). But now I’m finding it hard to cut it out of my diet again.
I haven’t had any refined sugar today but I’ve had a few pieces of fruit. I guess that’s better than pure sugar like the sweets and cakes and biscuits I’ve been devouring... one day at a time
Old 01-13-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hey, Bumblebee, glad to hear that you are feeling well and counting up the positives about sobriety. Me, too. I'm also with Willow, cutting back on the bad things in my diet after the holidays and noticing a difference.

I'll be really busy the next couple of weeks, it's a cyclic thing at work, and I'm looking forward to the renewed activity that entails. Actually, since we are hosting a conference on campus in April, I will be busy the next few months. Plenty of interesting things to be done ahead of me.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I slept a bit better last night after not eating any refined sugar. I’m going to try to eat a bit less fruit today too. I know fruit is good for us, but I’m going to try to stick to only 2 pieces of fruit today....

And it’s my 8 monthiversary today
Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I'm taking the baton pass from you, Willow, I'll have 8 months on Tuesday. Not that it's a race, but we are all, Maysters, on a team here. Feel the love and cheers coming your way.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to both you guys

D
Old 01-14-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Thanks for all your help and support, and for knowing just the right things to say how did you get so wise? You always seem to manage equanimity, a quality that I greatly admire, but rarely encounter in people. I hope that one day I might be able to cultivate it, but my emotions tend to get the better of me and I tend to express them even when I’d rather not...

Guener it’s Tuesday here, so a big congratulations! It’s sooo good to have you along for this roller coaster ride of sobriety. I’m really grateful you’re here with me, and I’m really grateful for all of you guys in this aMAYzing class of May 2018!

Free, I hope you’re going ok? I imagine packing your things is pretty full on and I hope you’re keeping your head above water. We’re here for you if you need to vent or chat or download.

Bumblebee, John, Wolfie, Manta, Solly and anyone else still hanging out in the classroom, I hope you’re having a good day! If not, I hope it gets better for you very soon ❤️

Love you guys
Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

And I had no sugar yesterday either! Which is a step in the right direction for me, because I’ve been overloading myself with sugar for the last month while I was away on holidays (partly as a defense against the AV while everyone was drinking around me) and since I got home I had continued the sugar laden diet.

I also wanted to share this song which I shared on the weekenders thread.
This has been a like lifeline for me these last months when I’ve felt I may drown in my grief, or drown my grief in alcohol, since Mum and Dad passed nearly 5 months ago.... newly sober and losing both parents has been a massive and overwhelming experience, and I really felt like I was drowning in grief. I first heard this song on the radio (tuned to her favourite station which I continue to listen to now) in my Mum’s car that I was driving after she passed. It really felt like a lifeline to help restore my connection to something bigger than me (God) and thereby bring me closer to my Mum and Dad ❤️

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKF6ghfcQic
Old 01-14-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made a lot of mistakes to get this wise Willow but thank you for the kind words
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

You sound uplifted today, Willow, and it's a joy to hear. I enjoyed the video and understand how you've been using it as a lifeline in your days where it just seems like too much. We need to pull from all the inspiration that we can, all the time.

Today was so busy, I really feel good that I'm relaxed this evening. Tomorrow I will wake up rested and ready to continue into the days ahead with no fears. This past month has seemed both long and dream-like.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

So good to hear you’re relaxed this evening Guener
Keeping busy helps me too. I need to get back to working more than a few casual hours here and there. I should find out soon if I have another 3 month contract for Feb-May. The money will come in very handy while I make plans for going forward work-wise
Old 01-15-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hi peeps!!!

Quick drive by.....

Overwhelmed. Packing. Sorting. Donating.

Exhausted. Excited. Sad. Happy.

SOBER😍😁

33 weeks and one day.....never thought I’d be here.

Working on being wise (Dee, Willow)
Excited and can see my one year mark too (bumble)
You sound up beat too (Guener)

My love and thoughts to you all even though super busy....
Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Beep, beep at you, Free! Thanks for dropping by to give us the trailer of how you are faring today. I know you are exceedingly busy, so it's really nice to hear from you.

I just recognized that the Ides of each month marks my progressing recovery dates. I'm not sure what to think about that, especially comes March. I am just happy to be where I am today.

Time to get ready for work, so I offer up my support and finest wishes to all of you.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Lovely to hear from you Free
What are the Ides of each month Guener? I think I missed something there. Hope you have a good day at work

I just found out my work contract is not likely to happen... and another idea I had for some casual work, somebody else has just started doing in my area. So I have to put my thinking cap back on for my work plans... ah well, something will come up. I’m just in a bit of a state of inertia, not quite knowing what I want to do, so not getting the motivation to move forward on anything.... But I know I have the skills and initiative to do all sorts of things, I just have to prod myself into doing it.
I will hear a definite about the contract next week and make decisions to move forward then
Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

The Ides designates the 15th of each month, and on the Ides of March Julius Caesar was stabbed to death. Not that I'm comparing myself to him, LOL. It's just supposed to be a warning of ominous times.

I will not find out about my additional work for a couple months, I think, until the grant holder makes a decision on who gets the award. So, I'm sort of in a holding pattern for a while also. The world of academia moves slowly on such things like money.

Things this week are busy but still going well with me, so I'm very grateful about that.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi Mayers! I keep forgetting about this thread and when I come across it I always think "I'll start posting here more often" and never actually do it!

I hope you don't mind everyone but I am going to post more in here as I feel like I need some support. My mind is getting a little full and I need to process stuff or put it out there for someone else to maybe point out the obvious. I guess I need support.

I always post in the weekenders which is my usual hangout but I feel I am posting too much and taking over the thread and I feel guilty about that.

Hope everyone is well xx
Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

MantaLady, I read your posts across the site regularly when I come across them, and I find your perspective ever useful. If you need a little break from where you are used to writing, we are always here and the support for you is, too. Occasionally I feel somewhat "topped off" by some of the threads that are out there.