Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #3

Old 10-06-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
p***enger

((JL)) I'm glad you shared. What you've learned from your experience helps more people than you guess. Truth has a way of getting where it's needed.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a great weekend, gang!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

JL - Good luck to the the person who came back in to your meeting.

When I first showed up at AA I was desperate and afraid, but I was hesitant to share because there were people who I thought had worse experiences with drugs and alcohol than I did. Turns out I was minimizing the impact that drinking had on my life.

I also have a tendency to sometimes clam up in meetings if I don't have something to say that pertains to the topic. My sponsor encourages me to share anyway!

At work I feel like I am an effective (even at times dynamic) speaker, because of the way I manage the conversation. However at meetings cross talk is not appropriate, and I feel very awkward and dull. I wonder who even wants to hear what I have to say anyway? However, it's the whole point of being there! PlusI find that something special happens when I share: it puts the feelings, problem, or situation I'm sharing about into perspective.

Big weekend full of hockey. Youth game this afternoon, followed by a youth game tailgate. Then bringing a kids team to a college game tonight. Tomorrow we are traveling to the bottom of the state in the morning and the top of the state in the evening for the kids games.

Someway somehow I need to clean the house, grocery shop, and decorate for Fall in between. And relax because I work a busy week.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Stay sane, Glee!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Glee I know that I feel different at meetings, to the point where I didn't share at all, ( feeling of having nothing useful to share it seemed). A more public speaking oriented person put out at a meeting that he went through a lot of changes, but came to the conclusion that he was learning to "leave the mask at the door". I really identified with that, because there's no limit to how I've fooled myself into it being "ok" to drink. Lie upon fib, upon bravado, upon pity. Shew ! I've also noticed that whatever it is im sharing about really comes into focus when I talk it out " in the rooms". Like you said- I think it's just being there, for me, sometimes, that puts things into perspective.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Please do me a favor: if I EVER become a zealot of any kind, please CRAM A FRICKIN SOCK DRAWER DOWN MY THROAT!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Never mind the above post. I did a lot of physical labor today, and I was totally mentally and physically exhausted by 4 pm! I could have actually gone to bed then.

Let’s just say I had been exposed to the most vehement of demagoguery for two hours from every persuasion, and I was done.

All the anger in the world accomplishes NOTHING but raising blood pressure.

Once again, a good night’s sleep will do me a lot of good.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Gilmer, it's good to let it out! That's what we're here for

I'm the same way in meetings - I don't like public speaking anyways and sharing my problems that sometimes seem trivial to the other issues shared in the room seems like a waste of time. I'm glad people are encouraging, because it really does give me a lot of perspective when I work up the courage to share. I've gotten a lot of great advice in those rooms!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My boss is making preparations to bring Fran home, hopefully sooner than later. He had to construct a concrete path from the driveway to the back door. His house is on a small hill, so there's a lot of steps involved. I still don't think he totally realizes what's all involved with being the primary caregiver, so I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. I'm hoping for the best for all involved.

I'm hoping to wrap up the main research on my weekend side project today. After that, I'll still have to proof and edit, but the bulk of the work will be done. The Pop Annual turned out great, now it's back to my behemoth album book project. I'm in the letter "H" in my A-Z work on the album cuts (and that's just one phase of the project), so still a LOOOONG way to go yet. Still beats working for a living.

Just about time for my extended Sunday morning nature walk. Got a brand new pair of walking shoes, so will get them broken in today.

Power on, POSTIES!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I’m neither depressed nor jumping up and down. That’s probably a good place for me to be!
Gilmer, this kind of describes sobriety for me at this point. Not living in a pink cloud or being chronically depressed is not a bad place for me to be.

I hope Fran does well in the transition home FBL. Congrats on making progress on your projects.

Day off and I was up at 5:00am. Did some early grocery shopping, and am cranking out the laundry and washed a bunch of dishes the family left for me. Life is good.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
p***enger

Gilmer, you must have been upset -- ALL CAPS! I think that's against deep SR bylaws. Let it out!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
p***enger

psst. You know what I'd like? Just for once in my adult life to feel genuine personal, intrinsic enthusiasm for something that wasn't harmful to me. Other than going to sleep.

ssshhh. I don't think that's where I'm supposed to be with 3.5 years of sobriety and a handful of medications, but I think that's where I am.

We still POST
Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

You are magnificent just as you are, Cour, perceived imperfections and all.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I agree Gilmer.
A sober alcoholic is a miracle. I'm pleased that my view of "me", is flawed. I've found that the more I'm living, really living, the less I'm noticing me and all my crap.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
A sober alcoholic is a miracle. I'm pleased that my view of "me", is flawed. I've found that the more I'm living, really living, the less I'm noticing me and all my crap.
Great post JL!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

What an interesting read. Here we are, all in various stages of recovery with one overwhelming thought, at least it was my takeaway....life is just so much better without the drug of choice.

So many gifts, but, I must say, my constant focus on staying middle of the road has really helped me a lot, many times - on both ends of that spectrum.

Had a fun weekend. Cooked, cleaned, worked out a few times, hung with friends, ran a race for breast cancer and took 3rd place in my age group and watched some mindless netflix.

In other news, AZ is history and I just may have found "the one". It feels different...she's 26 years clean and sober, we can talk for hours on end. IL is in her hometown of Chicago this weekend to do, as she put it, just a marathon. She is an iron-man triathlon person...crazy. Fingers crossed!

ttyl, POST's...

Carlos
Old 10-09-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Carlos, best of luck with the new relationship!

If not for my recovery, I'm sure I'd be dead and/or dying. That's close enough to a miracle for me!

Have a great Monday, all!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Carlos - sounds promising! Keep us updated on how it goes!

I don't know how you meet so many people. I think most of my drinking was done because of social anxiety, and that's one thing I really need to work on in recovery. I've been trying to go out more and give people more of a chance, but I'm really just an introverted person and I don't think there's anything wrong with that! I have come across a few people I genuinely like spending time with, so I guess all that pushing myself does have it's benefits.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Up in the middle of the night. Im finding that I have bad night anxiety. Wake up and everything unrealistically " worse", than it really is. Best way i can describe it. Job schedule change, too much work involvement (bringing home worries), money worries, world on my shoulders.
....ok stop, crazy head
I've always had night anxiety, way worse while 20 yrs of boozing. I used to be a ranting, raving boo hoo baby on here. I guess this can be an outlet, or a tool in the toolbox, to help her through today. I can see my alcoholic head is trying to self destruct my one day off, and wether or not I get to a meeting, I've got to live one day at a time, and not a blue dam- thing can or will be done about further out than that. I like to pretend that PTSD, is my only problem, and while it is there, I really never faced much of it until I sobered up, a whole yr and 3 months ago.
Yea I'm nuts, but I sure am thankful to be sober.
This up at night crazy crap will teach me to eat junk food before bed, huh? I've been nursing a shoulder injury ( my first at age 46), that is preventing gym workouts or jogging. Maybe a long walk is in order. I jog so slow, it's a power walk anyway. Ok, I'm babbling. I do apologize.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

JL