SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/415319-power-sobriety-thread-post-3-a.html)

Dee74 09-02-2017 04:15 PM

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #3

sorry for the closing of the other thread -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...st-2-a-20.html

I can only attribute it to operator error.:dee :a043:

D

Gilmer 09-02-2017 04:18 PM

You're forgiven, I suppose. ;-) :)

Gilmer 09-02-2017 04:26 PM

By the way--I said something highly arrogant yesterday.

As it turned out, there were other solutions to the OP's problem that were better.

I really needed to take two seats yesterday!

Today has been an improvement. :)

stargazer016 09-02-2017 04:37 PM

Thanks for the new thread Dee!

Where is your son headed to Courage?

Gilmer, the older I get, the more I realize very few things are black and white. Addiction has bestowed upon me a humbler footstep amongst others. For that, I am grateful.

Pleasant dreams all!

courage2 09-02-2017 05:07 PM

Thank you, Dee!

I'm glad you had a better day, Gilmer.

& Stargazer, that's a good phrase, "a humbler footstep" :)

My son's going to Switzerland. He & his wife *may possibly* move back to the US in a year or so.

Today I was thinking, I like it when people do nice things. Although I'm not sure that any one is a nice person. Who cares, if they're thoughtful enough to behave nicely, right?

Did anyone's mother ever say, "Play nicely, now!"

stargazer016 09-02-2017 11:41 PM

"Play nicely now" was my Mom's daily mantra directed towards my sister and I.
Not that we payed it much mind...

Cool and rainy weather had my mind thinking it's fall already and all that entails. Not thrilled thinking about shorter days once again. Thankfully, summer is back later this week.

Another early day for me. We were very busy yesterday. Don't people go away on Labor Day anymore? I hope everyone is enjoying some time off.

Gilmer 09-03-2017 02:16 AM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of fall, either.

It really depresses me when it starts getting dark at 5:30 in the afternoon.

Plus I always dreaded the first day of school for my kids. I hated to see their carefree summers end.

FBL 09-03-2017 03:25 AM

We'll let you off the hook this time, Dee. Just don't let it happen again! :)

I've been told I'm a nice person...by someone that didn't know me very well! :)

I'll be here all weekend...

courage2 09-03-2017 08:01 AM

I've had those seasonal blues the last few years and this year I'm looking out for proactive measures against them. Any ideas?

Re Labor Day, I'm not going away. We wanted to go to the Rockaways, but Monday will be the only nice day I can get away before my son leave and it will be a madhouse.

Gilmer 09-03-2017 10:05 AM

Today I'm going grocery shopping for tomorrow's church picnic. My husband is making trays of green beans and ham, and I'm doing an encore of my fruit salad (with everything but the kitchen sink--except melon).

We have to have the food there by 11:30, so I'll need to start chopping early.

FBL 09-03-2017 11:29 AM

Sorry Courage, can't help you there. Fall is by far my favorite season!

stargazer016 09-03-2017 01:06 PM

Courage, I bought a DayLight Lamp a few years back which seemed to help. The problem is that you need at least 30 minutes in the morning sittingin the proper position for it to make a difference. Exercise and getting outside can help. There are natural mood enhancers such as St John's Wort that I have used over the years. I would not take that if you are taking any other meds however. Not drinking has greatly lessened my SAD symptoms. I made it through last year's mild East Coast winter with no meds and hardly using my light. I hear several weeks in the Caribbean is a great cure also, though my doctor won't write me a script for that.

Hope you survived the grocery store Gilmer. It was a madhouse today.

How are things Del?

Gilmer 09-03-2017 01:22 PM

The supermarkets were not bad, surprisingly (the first one didn't have fresh cherries, so I had to try another one).

My husband's favorite season is autumn, too. He absolutely, positively cannot STAND summer!

To me fall feels like impending death!

Winter (especially snow) I'm OK with. I dislike extreme cold: but I love to grouse about it and mock trendy weather buzzwords like "polar vortex."

It can't just be frickin' COLD AS HELL--it's got to be a POLAR VORTEX!

Every year there's a new one!

I had a great time during the 36" blizzard two years ago. We were snowed in in the mountains. Between leftovers and groceries, we managed to anticipate the exact amount of food we needed.

It too us four days to dig out--and that was including a tractor with a frontloader!

Bizarre though it might seem, the only type of exercise I genuinely enjoy is shoveling snow! You use every muscle in your body (my heart is in perfectly fine shape).

Speaking of which, I need to cut back on coffee, start exercising, and eat better. I need more vegetables, because I notice my moods have been up and down. Coffee has gotten unpredictable: sometimes after just two cups I get heart racing and tremors. And suddenly every time I eat fat I get an unpleasant sensation in my throat that I think must be acid reflux.

I'm a mess! Plus I've been carrying an extra thirty pounds for the last three years. I need to lose it now before my metabolism goes down the drain!

Gilmer 09-03-2017 01:27 PM

Yeah, Del. How did you do after the booze-soaked wedding you went to yesterday?

IWLSAST 09-03-2017 03:28 PM

I totally want some of that fruit salad, GG.

LOVE the fall. Changing colors, smells, sweatshirts and, best of all - FOOTBALL. I will miss fall up north very much. However, I have my Friday Night Lights football team picked and a where a few of my gym peeps have kids playing. Next Saturday my college will wipe the floor with penn state and Sunday is Pittsburgh Steeler time. I'm in heaven!

It's been raining a lot here, but, I've managed a beach day last Saturday and today. Friday was the end of Canada fling...unofficial, but, it just wasn't happening. My beach day today was a first date with...humm, Arizona. Met at 9am, walked 5 miles in the surf and swam...went to her pad and hung at her pool, then out to eat. Longest first date ever for me. She is totally together and in my eyes, stunning.
Like me, married 25 years and broke up over drink...but, his drinking. Who knows - might be something here?

Left eye, my ex would use tanning beds to help with her seasonal affect disorder. Worked wonders for her - seriously.

Later - gators...oh, Dee, thanks for the clean sheet.

Carlos

Gilmer 09-03-2017 03:30 PM

That's really encouraging about Arizona, Carlos!

May all the Pittsburgh teams KICK BUTT!

JL2014 09-03-2017 04:30 PM

2 workdays ahead. Thankful for a weekend with the kids and wif.
Hoping for bunch of sleep for tomorrow !!
Built a campfire last night, crockpotted a ham all day yesterday. Mmmm pigged out all day today. Swam down and dug out some more amethyst out of the lake bed ( Mr Adventure)
19 yr old that came to live w us last thanksgiving has given us a lot of grief. 5-6 classes left to graduate. Feel like I'm down to nothing but violence to force him to pass school ( or leave). No booze, no drugs, just lazy good for nothin kid. Acts dumb as can be.
We're trying, though.
So far, the belt has done the talking the loudest, but I'm even more pissed that it has to come to that( jeez I'm more upset than I thought).

Gilmer 09-03-2017 04:58 PM

((((jl))))

courage2 09-03-2017 09:27 PM

JL, from what I've heard of belts and other punishments with young people, they can make a person stop doing something, and make a person do something only in secret, but they don't do anything towards making a person do right.

He's an adult. If you all don't get along, why don't you just tell him to leave?

stargazer016 09-03-2017 11:51 PM

Tough situation JL with the 19 year old. My father always threatened me with the belt, but I don't remember actually getting hit with it. The fact that he was a big drinker added to the dread. It did make me grow up fearing my father, which lasted until I left home. Be careful of the memories you are creating today, as they can sadly last a lifetime.

One more early day of work, then two days off. Might even make it home in time for a couple of burgers today.

Enjoy the day all!