Notices

One Year & Over Part 50

Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
GHD I remember a long while ago, the vet told my dad his beloved dog would have to lose her rear leg! He asked for a second opinion and turned out she had arthritis and her leg worked fine without pain just taking one tablet a day.
Wow, that is a cautionary tale.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treerat66 View Post
Mrs T has a have her blood checked today to see if she is well enough for round two of the chemo.
Best wishes for you and your wife, Andy.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Continued support here too, Andy.

Today is the first Friday of our summer hours, where we are off at noon. I think I'll probably put in a few hours on my side project this afternoon as it's supposed to rain anyway. I put in 7 hours last weekend and got thru the first month of research, which is a pretty good pace.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 06-02-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wishing the best for you and your wife Andy!

Thanks for the wonderful post Itchy!

I am jealous of all of you folks that have half days today. My wife just told me that her company is doing the same. Enjoy everyone!

Have a good day all!
Old 06-02-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Mags, yep - you've got it I'll spare everyone the repetition this Friday.

Andy, sending positive thoughts for you and your wife. I'll be thinking of you!

PJ, I've never thought of Australia as anything but a first-world country. Yes - it is far away so it's harder to visit! I've always wanted to do so.

FBL, you sound so "settled". Love your attitude and enthusiasm.

SG, I hate to rub it in .... I thankfully don't work anymore - at least at paying jobs. Still lots to do including volunteer work :-)

Hugs to all!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Magsie

Andy, best wishes to your wife and yourself for next round of chemo.

Sassy, Nooooo, don't spare us, we love it!

Oh itchy, how frustrating.

I was looking at washing machines, on the Internet of course, and saw a smart one! So you can control it from your phone! Say if you're at work and you start it hour before you arrive home? you still have to iron them, my worst chore!

I remember my nannan having a top filling washer with and electric wringer. She was always saying don't put your fingers near the wringer. I loved my nannan, she was called Sarah-Jane and I used to call her by her name sometimes and she would laugh out loud and say, ooh Great Scott our Maggy. She was Yorkshire born and bred. Bless her, she was one of the good ones. Happy memories.x

Have a great weekend overs.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Mrs T. has caught an infection. She spent last night in hospital as she had to have intravenous antibiotics. When her white blood cell count goes back up they will switch her to oral antibiotics and let her home.

My Grandma had a dolly tub and hand mangle. Until my Dad put electricity into the kitchen and then she had a twin tub. When the UK converted from town gas to natural gas, the engineer didn't know what to do about the gas lights and wanted to cut them off. My Granddad insisted that they be converted, they were useful during power cuts.

Have the best day you can everyone.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the infection, Andy. Those are very scary with a low white cell count. I'm glad she'll be home tomorrow, Lord willing.

Your grandfather had a good idea! I'll bet they look really cool, too! I love to see old appliances from bygone eras!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Yep- round tub, broom stick thing for boiling the clothes. Had one in a very old place we lived in- remember it when I was 4.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Mags your nannan was posh having an electric wringer! We had an electric top loader that used to dance around the kitchen on spin, then we had to fold the damp clothes into strips slim enough to go through the hand turned mangle! OMG does this make me ancient or poor????

Whatev's, got a machine that washes another that dries, and believe it or not, I quite like zoning out to a pile of ironing as long as I have something on the tv or even music to jig to!

Sass, 'Stralya isn't backwards, it's just upside down. If it was backwards as well it would be all too confusing. ( but it would explain some of PJs posts!! no offence PJ, or Dee, or Instant.... Or any other of our antipodean friends)

Off to Spain this afternoon, hoping to get some sun and relaxation. At one time a break would be all about the sangria, and any other alcohol I could find a reason for drinking. Now, it is about relaxing, exploring, making our home beautiful and enjoying the people and places around me.

Andy, mate, will be sending positive thoughts.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope Mrs Andy can come home soon Andy, Continued prayers.

I'm old enough to remember manual mangles - my Nanas' gave curious little toddler fingers a nasty nip.

Old enough to remember when she got her first home phone too.

It's been a long life in some ways

D
Old 06-03-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

One of my Saturday chores was helping my grandma with the wash. She had the big tub with the hand wringer and hung the clothes out to dry. It was a huge deal when she got an electric dryer. My other grandma lived out in the country and she had a party line on her phone. I'm pretty sure she used to listen in on the neighbors conversations, but she never admitted to it.

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

ON ECNEFFO NEKAT, 1lSTOOT
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

PJ, this time I read it but fair warning - I don't usually read backwards messages

Andy, sending prayers for Mrs T

FBL, party line for phones - OMG! That brings back lots of memories. Our phone was right next to the coat closet in the hall so to get a wee bit of privacy, I'd take the phone and go sit in the closet and shut the door. Of course, being a party line, it wasn't so private after all.

Have a lovely day, Overs!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

My mom had a hand wringer too--plus an actual corrugated metal washboard (I think it was for her nylons)!

When we finally got an electric washer and dryer, she immediately used the washer--but almost never used the dryer. Even in the dead of winter she still hung the clothes out on the line!

Now I don't know if you can even buy old-fashioned clotheslines!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

When I was 5, living in a small country town, my dad 9a priest) got a phone call from a lady who lived in a shack- miles out of town by the river (Murray). She proceeded to ramble on- very drunk for 10 or 15 minutes and finally my dad told her he was going to hang up. The phone was connected to a local exchange- and the lady who operated it apparently listened in. Half an hour later after hanging up- the exchange lady rang my dad back and said the lady was still talking and did he want to be reconnected? I think he said no....
Old 06-03-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

It's been a long life in some ways

D
You said it, brother!!

ADVICE PLEASE WISE OVERS:

I have been offered a position on a very established show in its 7th season, a great easy going crew, and an easy job with little to no stress. It is short days (8-10 hours) every day, paid for 12. The studio is less than ten minute drive away. I can bring my dog every day with no stress or hassle. Ten month stint.

I was planning on working part time and enrolling in school part time this semester (September). But this job will allow me to save a LOT of money up and pay for school in one go. But I would be putting it off for a year and working a pretty hum drum tedious job until then.

WHAT DO I DO. Continue working with a pretty stressy crew (the one I'm currently on) part time and plow my way through school part time which will be a tough slog, juggling it all and also tougher financially. Or work another ten months solid at a boring but easy job and go full time to school after, but probably going a bit nuts from tedium in the meantime. But also being comfortable financially.

Thoughts?? I know, it's always something else with me! I had made up my mind about school but this job would be a sweet gig and a different route to go, I have to consider it.

ANYHOO, hope y'all are enjoying the weekend so far! I am!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Those are some fun options, IP!

If you took the new job (which sounds kinda heavenly), could you take some coursework online at your own pace to be that much farther ahead when you start school full-time?

Hugs and positive thoughts, Andy. I'm so sorry for her setback. Hope she's home and kicking butt soon.

My best to all you overs...

Aries
Old 06-03-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

My gut says take the new job in a heartbeat!

I like Aries' idea of the online class or two--and if that doesn't pan out, you'll be better prepared mentally to cope with boredom because you'll be suffering from SO MUCH LESS STRESS!

Ten months is not that long to invest in a sunnier future!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

InPar - new job in a heartbeat! Best wises for higher power guidance