Notices

One Year & Over Part 50

Old 06-04-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Lees ha, maybe just say it in a jokey way the first time ' I love you ya big lug' etc, I wonder do you fear he won't say it back? it is so much easier to say the words drunk, but it doesn't make them meaningful. Showing someone you love them in a multitude of little ways is far more important than saying the words. My ex used to tell me he loved me all the time, and he did in his self-centred way that made demands on my love for him. The current Mr T hardly ever says the words, but shows me frequently in his actions than his feelings for me run deep and true.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Andy our posts overlapped, that is great news mate, truly glad for you all.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good news Andy

Leasha, I'm a bit of a romantic so, I dunno...if you feel it say it, I reckon.

D
Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Leasha, what Toots said! As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words.

Andy, so happy to hear Mrs T is doing better

Hi Mags. How goes?

Hi Itchy. Record short post??? Good to see you short or long :-)

GHD, glad to hear you are feeling enough better to do some creative cooking.

Hi Dee!

After a long and blue winter and spring, I'm finally feeling motivated. Since I retired I've done a bit of this and that and sort of extended my work by doing computer support for other residents of the OFH. I was feeling stale but hadn't really thought much about what to do now besides that. My daughter had given me a book called "It's never too late to begin again" when I retired. I finally started reading and thinking.

Up until about 35+ years ago, I loved to sew (made all my clothes, sleeping bag, coats, tent) and had learned a wee bit of knitting. Then I got too busy with work, work, and more work. I decided now I'd like to explore and experiment so I ordered a sewing machine (it arrives today) and yesterday went shopping for some basic supplies and a book. I may decide to try my hand at quilting, too.

I'm feeling excited for the first time in quite awhile! Lots of new opportunities.

Happy Monday to all!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Andy, I'm glad your wife will be able to come home today.

Sass, how wonderful that you're getting a sewing machine! Sewing is so multi-faceted and intriguing with many levels to explore. You must have developed a lot of skill and possess a lot of innate talent to have created such a wide variety of stuff.

I was never truly talented (only produced two decent blouses, a Halloween costume, and one genuinely good self-altered corduroy jumper--all the rest I had to trash). "The thrill of victory--and the agony of defeat!"

Being mediocre usually kills every speck of interest I have in an activity, but not sewing. I was a perpetual student, because the subject is such a deep well! I am very excited for you that you're taking it up again. How rewarding!

Cool quilts are really fascinating, too. Absolutely beautiful! That kind of creativity and precision are gifts I definitely don't have.

I sincerely hope you'll post pictures of your quilts as you make them. They are real works of art!

Have a wonderful time!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey all,
Just lost another, and forgot to type in a processor first. I'm sorry but I don't have the energy to do these over again.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Well, Itch, it's always good to see you, whether it's ten paragraphs or one!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a Marvelous Monday, overs!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
After a long and blue winter and spring, I'm finally feeling motivated. Since I retired I've done a bit of this and that and sort of extended my work by doing computer support for other residents of the OFH. I was feeling stale but hadn't really thought much about what to do now besides that. My daughter had given me a book called "It's never too late to begin again" when I retired. I finally started reading and thinking.

Up until about 35+ years ago, I loved to sew (made all my clothes, sleeping bag, coats, tent) and had learned a wee bit of knitting. Then I got too busy with work, work, and more work. I decided now I'd like to explore and experiment so I ordered a sewing machine (it arrives today) and yesterday went shopping for some basic supplies and a book. I may decide to try my hand at quilting, too.

I'm feeling excited for the first time in quite awhile! Lots of new opportunities.

Happy Monday to all!

That sounds really fun. I never really learned to sew, but my mother made all her own clothes. She had too much trouble finding stuff off the racks that fit.

I look forward to exploring new skills like that in retirement. I took a break from working a while back, and learned so many new things and had some great new experiences.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Andy, great news for you and your wife.

Hi Sassy, that's brilliant. I too sewed when I was younger but not good, in those days I couldn't sit still for very long! I'm so pleased , all the people in the OFH will be wanting your quilts.x

Hi toots, Gilmer, Dee, itchy, GHD, fbl, PJ and all the overs.

Leasha, if you want to say it, go for it, don't hold back. X
Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Andy I'm glad that your wife is doing well. And thank you for including us in this and sharing, we're here for you.

Thanks for all the advice, I knew I could count on you guys. I accepted the job this morning, it's hard to not feel like I'm selling out, I guess I am in a way. Choosing boredom in exchange for a steady paycheque.....but it will be good to get a good base of money saved.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

IP, maybe look at it more like you're building the foundation, yes? Take it from me, there are few things less interesting but without it...no house.

Note to self: research remedial analogy classes.

P.S. Besides, think how happy your dog will be!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

InPar, think of it as a temporary stepping stone to the fascinating new career that school will prepare you for!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Inpar, nice one! College will still be there, but the job perhaps wouldn't have been!
As Aries, says, it gives you a foundation to build on.

Plumber should be coming today to do a couple of jobs, he let us down last week and hubby has taken a holiday day today, so I'm really hoping he doesn't let us down this time, last chance.

Have a good Tuesday overs.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Well done IP, and perhaps it wont be quite as boring as you anticipate!

Sass my mum made all our things when we were young. I remember she made her & I matching outfits once - crimpoline hot pants and long jackets here was pastel green mine was pastel peach. She looked very glam. I sadly looked like a peach with chubby legs! She sewed, knitted, crocheted, had a knitting machine, tried her hand at lacemaking ( with all those bobbins, very intricate!) she is extremely arty. That particular gene passed me by. Enjoy your sewing machine.

Andy I hope Mrs T is home now. And I echo IP, it is a privilege to be included in this painful period of your life, and an Honor to be able to support you.

Itchy, with my gnatesque attention span, I occasionally drift into an alternate universe during one of your epic posts, especially when they get technical! So a short visit will always manage to keep me reading to the end. Sorry you keep having difficulties with them though, I know it can be frustrating.

Aries, put me down for that class too!

Well so much for the break, today I am painting the upper halll and power washing the sun terrace. Yay! - Not! But hubby has things he is determined to do, and I would feel guilty if I didn't do my share.
Back to the beach tomorrow though.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Mrs T is home again and smiling
Thank you for all your support. I know the worst event of my life is coming. I have family around me who are supportive and I start counselling on Thursday. But having the Overs as support is comforting. I've been reading posts in the Friends and family of Alcoholics about codependency. Whilst I/We are not toxic-ly dependent we are an item and had/have plans for our futures. This poem has helped me.

To love is not to Possess-James Kavanaugh

To love is not to possess,
To own or imprison
Nor to lose one’s self in another
Love is to join and separate
To walk alone and together
To find a laughing freedom
That lonely isolation does not permit
It is finally to be able
To be who we really are
No longer clinging in childish dependency
Nor docilely living separate lives in silence
It is to be perfectly one’s self
And be perfectly joined in permanent commitment
To another—and to one’s inner self
Love only endures when it moves like waves
Receding and returning gently or passionately
Or moving lovingly like the tide
In the moon’s own predictable harmony
Because finally despite a child’s scars
Or an adults deepest wounds
They are openly free to be
Who they really are—and always secretly were
In the very core of their being
Where true and lasting love can alone abide.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Magsie

Beautiful poem Andy
Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Lovely poem, Andy. I know you will make the most of your time left together.

Still plugging away on my epic album book project. Should finish phase one this week (the weekly research), then on to phase two (entering the tracks), which will also take some time.

Looking forward to getting my annual physical out of the way on Friday afternoon. Already got my blood test results back and everything looks hunky dory there. Just have to have my doc give me the once over and I should be good to go.

Have a Terrific and/or Tolerable Tuesday, overs!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

What a beautiful poem, Andy. I'm glad you found it.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Administrator

((Andy))

D