Notices

One Year & Over Part 50

Old 05-27-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs,

FG, pleased you had a good AA convention, it's always nice to catch up with sober friends.

Hi Dharma!

Toots, I heard the temperatures soared in Scotland, how nice! :

Sassy, I hope you managed to get some sleep Saturday night.

We was clearing out the spare room, as were having French doors fitted but have to have the radiator moved first! Why do I keep so much clutter! It may come in handy one day, is my argument! I've got a sheepskin 3/4 length coat, I bout when I was 20, it's still in good condition because I don't wear it and I'm now 58 3/4, lol. What's my problem. I paid a lot of money for it and I haven't had the wear out of it.i might need it one day! I need to get real, and get rid, Mags!

Otherwise, it's an uneventful weekend here, just how I like it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend overs x
Old 05-28-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

One word Mags, Gumtree!!! My mum and dad are even worse, they hate to throw anything out that might just might have a use, or be worn another day. Mum admits it's a generational thing,they grew up during the war with deprivation and a 'make do and mend' attitude. This has continued and now they have cupboards and wardrobes bulging with bits and pieces, clothes that don't fit, obsolete electronics etc.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Hoarding is fine as long as you use the 'stuff'. Yesterday I needed a 'thing' for a project and found one in my hoard that must have been there for at least 22 years. As I would struggle to buy a single one of these items, it's value to me is greater than it's purchase price. Which reinforces hoarding my behaviour.

Have a good de-cluttering day everyone.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Already went for my Sunday morning nature walk. Saw a couple of ducks and bunny rabbits, otherwise not much else stirring this early.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Interesting day overtines. Lots and lots of writing. Doing an online intense short writing thingy being run as an interactive thingy . 7 tasks- 7 days. By an 'international best selling author'.Describing my image in the mirror- with compassion (HA!). Choosing an emotion and using the senses to describe it... Could almost be a counselling session. Ties in well because I was planning to merge the art and 4 journals I wrote over my last 20 months from burns to now, so a good way to learn. Very uncomfortable- but productive. This unit is meant for 3 months- people have been here up to 6, depending on how long it takes for the queue to move- so getting ready- hoarding takes all forms.. The next stage UNIT is with no free wifi and no subsidy for bills. No probs for me. My only vices now are coffee and ciggies- which I have reduced by 60%. Unfurnished and no kitchen stuff etc also- so got a TV and microwave. A little sad- as fam. home has very nice stuff I will not even think of approaching until settlement out of respect for my fam. to heal and stuff. I do not have to remind myself these days(as I keep getting told by the Burns unit) I should, actually be dead- and they had all but given up on me. So what if my cup is not fine bone china? Still takes coffee. In fact- can buy nice instant now- not home brand mud. A coffee machine/ Well there is a very good one at the 'ol home- so will not buy anything so not needed.
Given a year ago....
All for now, groovers.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

What is going on with the widespread insomnia? I was up at 3:30am and could not fall back asleep. I used to just gulp a glass or two of wine and go back to bed. One of the few disadvantages of sobriety, I guess.

Yours is such an inspiring story PJ! Keep on living the dream.

Expecting around 100-125 folks for our annual Memorial Day BBQ/picnic. This used to be an all day drunk well into the following morning for me. This will be my third year not drinking, as my first one was only a month into sobriety. I passed that test, among many others. At least I won't be a danger to myself on grill detail.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 05-28-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Well, happy to say I got a solid 8 hours sleep last night - with a little help from a small sleeping med dose. I feel nearly human again!

Toots, sometimes I think we are more synchronized than we realize I just wish I had a smidgen of your energy.

Thanks Dee, SG, Mags and all for the sleep wishes. The sleep fairy must have heard you

Hi Dharma :-)

FG, sounds like a wonderful gathering.

Andy, I accumulate and then periodically purge. Inevitably I find I need some things I tossed out and don't need things I kept. It's a no-win. I'm beginning to wonder if the idea of periodically cleaning out stuff is encouraged by business so we will buy more

FBL, love your positive outlook and habits.

PJ, you are in the midst of an amazing journey. I am in awe of your will to live and humor through it all.

SG, have a wonderful party - I'm also grateful that you will be sober while using the grill!

Hi to all!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Already went for my Sunday morning nature walk. Saw a couple of ducks and bunny rabbits, otherwise not much else stirring this early.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Great way to start the day. I have some wonderful trails through the woods down to the river right outside my front door.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

YOUR WORDS READ HAPPY FINGERS SASSY. Oops caps-l.

hUMOUR CLEANSES THE SOUL. if I CAN TURN MY SAD INTO absurd, then it lightens my mood.

Now onto more important things.
The three fat, little, yellow guys holding up the number signs.
Third one is holding '9.9'. This indicates all of these little, fat, yellow guys have access to signage that has decimals to the first digit. That means ten signs for each number- so 1, then 1.1, 1.2 and so on.
That means from 1 to 9, there are 90 signs. Plus one for zero and one for 10.
Thus each fat, little, yellow guy has 1 + 90 + 1 = 92 signs.
3 fat, little yellow guys + 92 signs = 276 signs between them.
This is a reasonable assumption, based on the available evidence....as these signs are an indication of the three fat, little, yellow guys approval - for progress.
- what criteria do they use to 'judge'?
- is this process transparent and accurately recorded?
- where did they store these signs?
- did they have help from assistants- to retrieve- and re-store these signs?
- the little, yellow fat, guy in the middle is smiling greatly- while the end little, yellow, fat guys are just grinning...
-why, Sassy, WHY??
Does the one in the middle have information indicating imperfection, reflecting a certain 'culture' of absolutism with in the ranks of little,yellow, fat guys?
lastly AND MOST IMPORTANTLY..why are you still reading this?
Answers, the has to be answers.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I always just assumed that the little 9.9 guy was the Russian judge!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Magsie

Toots, I got conned on Gumtree! Did get my cash back though! And a suggestive text!
Been thinking of putting stuff on eBay.just haven't got my head around how much they charge.
Gosh, there's an ice cream van playing a tune outside. Don't see many of those nowadays.
Sassy, so pleased you slept.
PJ
Old 05-28-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

You 'dunno' Mags?? Well, perhaps you should put more effort into this. Perhaps FBL has something there. If the fat, little, yellow guy IS Russian, well, there are a LOT of questions a LOT of people would like to answer him about that smile....
Have a good day- both of youse.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Magsie

Now let me think, PJ. No it wasn't a very good effort on my part, was it! What I wanted to say is, PJ, they're virtual, so can be anything, square blue thin men, aliens, Lego pieces! And the numbers and lop-sided smiles and big smiles, well they can change too! Who knew!
Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Old 05-28-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

rats...MAGS, you saw through my cunning subterfuge. That is not fair.

FBL- here the hell did you find such an apt pic??? how DID YOU KNOW TO LOOK...LOVE IT, MADE ME SMILE. hARD TO DO- SO THANKTYOU.

Good folk, here at SR. Make folks feel welcome- 'spite my weirdy ways.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
FBL- here the hell did you find such an apt pic??? how DID YOU KNOW TO LOOK...LOVE IT, MADE ME SMILE. hARD TO DO- SO THANKTYOU.
It's an old cold war joke that I remember from my childhood. I think there really was a case where a Russian judge once gave a 9.9 score at the Olympics when every other country's judge gave perfect 10 scores. Anyway, that's where it comes from.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I think it was Natasha Cemeneci, Romanian Gymnast. She had a song written about her Olympic gym performance. She defected to the US.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Yes, PJ - I think I remember that one - was it Nadia or Natasha? You're a sweetie, PJ. I can't imagine what you have gone through and admire your ability to see humor - even if it's a slight bit twisty sometimes
Old 05-28-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Happy to say that I'm fast approaching 7 and a half years sober! Doesn't seem that long ago that I was struggling to get 7 days...

I am so much happier sober. And one of the big reasons I'm happier is that I take such good care of my critters sober. They are fed on time and get lots of walks and proper vet care when they need it. I'm no longer too broke to take them due to buying wine instead of paying bills.

My old man Jack just turned 14 and is good health considering he's the equivalent of 79 human years old. He went missing last October for 20 harrowing days, and if I hadn't been sober, I never could have searched for him as hard as I did.

Getting sober was the best thing I could have done for my critters.

Here's my old man Jack.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Ah, least, what a lovely dog Jack is! Sadly I had to say goodbye to my beagle last week as he was put to sleep on Wednesday (long story, but he was living with my ex and had been operated on twice already and there really was nothing else that could be done for him ... but he had a fairly long and happy life so that was good).