Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Welcome back Badger, all the best to you!

Ax, you are sounding stronger than you have in awhile, keep up the positive thinking. In the long run you will be glad you did!

I am taking my nephew fly fishing for the first time tomorrow. On Saturday, I pick up my wife at the Portland, Maine airport for a leisurely drive home. Sober life is good!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Sober tonight! And guess what? Our power is out like it was a few weeks ago. Then, I went and picked up some booze. Now, nope! It's frustrating because it seems like the same issue based on where the police were blocking a local street, the power company has the same spot on the outage map marked, and it has a similar repair time of after midnight. Seems like a common problem. It's affecting 1,500 homes according to the site. Not good!

Heard back from my psychologist today. Can't get in for a week and a half but I can wait and stay sober til then.

Retiredguy- I got the chance to go to Portland for business once. Awesome little town! Enjoy driving around or through it!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Meow

Happy Friday everyone! DS is completely by hine to help with our remodeling project. If there's a bonfire it will be a challenge for me, but I will just say no!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Stay strong PC!

I got my first sobriety side effect compliment today from my wife! She said "Your eyes look more open this morning." Silly, maybe, but I think that's the puffiness and inflammation subsiding. I know that in a few days or a week, my skin will look better and I can't wait!

I have tremendous momentum to take me through this weekend. If anyone wants to borrow some, feel free!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Yes, the 'if I could only _______,' thought process is answered by staying my sober, eating that thing that is good for you, going to a yoga class, doing the right thing, etc.

My friend was calling from 1500 miles away and yesterday and I told her, listen, I know everyone has abandoned you. Your parents are scumbags for that. I've been your friend for 7 years. I know you have no one and you need someone. I know you are really sick. I believe you. However, I am not the person for this job. I'm sick. I have huge bouts of depression. I'm in recovery, and this isn't fair to me. It's not hurting me a little, it's hurting me a lot. My family already has a project, ME. For a year I kept thinking if I could just get you to a better spot I could start to do the things I need to do. Everytime I thought we were close, it never happened. I can't do this anymore.' She got a call and told me to hold on and I hung up. Put the phone on 'do not disturb.' imagine the last person that will talk to you hanging up the phone, when you are genuinely sick in multiple ways, and your family just doesn't care, no one will help?? It's got to be the worst feeling in the world. The last person you could count on is leaving and you did nothing to deserve any of this....

Before that call I got in with my therapist at 5pm as he had a cancelation. I see him again Monday.

Didn't drink at least.

V
Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post

Didn't drink at least.

V
Happy for you.

It is tough, but you can't help her if you're sick too. You will likely both sink.

My good mood was shattered this morning with the news that 8 coworkers were laid off today. I work for a small company so that's a huge deal. It included one of my closest allies who was one of the few people I trusted enough to admit my problem to this week. Even worse, he has been with the company since nearly the beginning and has young kids. Easy excuse to drink tonight.

But my rational side is strong. It would be selfish to drink out of self pity. Imagine how he and his family feel. I am not helping them by drinking. So I won't.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it hurts but you're doing the right thing Viper.

It's the best thing for your friend too - she needs to build her own support network, where she is.

D
Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Morning all.....beautiful cool clear sunny morning here. Up early no hangover, sooo, get into the weekend. Which, for me, is just like any other day of the week except not so many cars outside. Still enjoy being free of the daily go to work thing. Love being gainfully unemployed, lol. The sacking thing is awful axe....I'm very aware that it is a disaster for people.

You guys seem to all kicking along too. Hope Badger's doing ok. Ms Purplecat: have a good weekend without the slippages....Vipe, Dee's words, as usual, are wise.

Ok.....I have a soldering iron, I have a wiring diagram......got to wire up this new printer. Should keep me out of trouble this weekend.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Just checking in and catching up on the thread. Finally starting to feel a bit better from the last lapse. Was able to eat without being nauseous, so that's positive. I hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the weekend.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Hey....good to see u back badger. Hava good weekend.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Meow

Good to see you again Badger. Typing with me left thumb because the cat is laying on my right arm lol. Got not great news about hubby's cancer and we commiserated together. Today is a new day.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

PC - I initially read it wrong... but I know you two will get through it. Thinking of you.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers and best wishes for the both of you PC

D
Old 06-10-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Ax,

It's Saturday night, how you doing? You sounded so strong this week, I hope you are still sober?

Picking up my wife at the airport in a few hours, it will be good to be back together again after my seven week road trip. I even bought a bottle of Chardonnay for her and it is in the refrigerator of our housekeeping cabin waiting on her arrival. Didn't bother me a bit to do it either, which was nice. I like the sober life!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

PC,

I am sorry to hear about your Husband. I sure wish we could finally find a cure for that dreaded disease. If alcoholism is a disease (which I am not convinced it is), it sure is nice to have such an easy cure - just stop drinking.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Went out to dinner tonight at a Mexican restaurant. As I sat there, and saw all of the drinks on everyone's table, I had a feeling I have really never had before. It was an absolute HATRED feeling that I have toward alcohol. I could care less if anyone was drinking, and didn't have a craving at all. But it just reminded me of all of the destruction it has caused me, or caused myself. I dunno...just wanted to get that out of my head. I will never put that **** in my body again.

Saw this today,AVRT Research.... "No drink ever jumped off the table and poured itself in my mouth". I always have had a choice. And always chose wrong. Never again.

Signed Angry Badger

(Not really angry, just venting)

Edit : btw. The food was awesome!!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Badger

The way I look at it, with all the calories we are saving by not drinking, we can afford to eat a little extra good food!

Stay strong man!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

RG

Yep, burrito as big as my head was no match for me tonight.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Retired Guy,

The weekend got me, as it has before. Not to worry, though. I am going to be sober tonight and keep it up all week. I want to build momentum here for sure.

I think I should do something nice for my wife today.

Boy, coming on here sure makes me feel good and want to be a better person.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

PurpleCat, sending you and your husband strength.

badger257, I understand. Sometimes it hits me how much money the alcohol industry is making off of poisoning people---they are making a fortune! I believe that they secretly fund some of those studies that come out saying: "Moderate drinking is good for your heart." First of all, I think "moderate "drinking is impossible for many people---definitely impossible for us.