Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-12-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

G'day crew

Bad ass wildlife...love it. Lump of muscle with claws, driven by hunger.

I'm off to Tokyo again at the end of the month. Direct flight, Yes! no more 10 hours wait in KLL terminal 2 with only a hard plastic seat and a paperback copy of War and Peace. I did the whole battle of Austerlitz in terminal 2.
The sort of nut thing you can only do sober.

Anyway. Japan....I will have a tiny apartment...which is really just a box fitted out for self cater. But it does come with a 'life stick'. WiFi modem.

Love Japan......life is intricate and detailed. But this time its not shopping and going out at night, I'm over Shinjuku etc, just very suburban Japan and quiet.
Cangirl paints pictures.....there is an exhibition. I'm going to the opening.

I read all the posts here.....feel and respond to what you say but can't write it all down. It's a good group tho.....hang in there all you sobers and hang on all the rest of us

Later
Old 06-13-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

I want life as a sober person. The optimist in me has noticed that when I have drank recently, it has been significantly lesser amounts. I just have to get that to zero.

I do need a written plan, Dee. Your cliffs notes version seems easy enough. I will do that today.

Vipe - I have heard the term donercycles before. My mother used to work in neuro trauma at a local hospital. Lots of young dudes who never took a safety course having to eat through a tube and use a colostomy bag. No good. Just be safe and wear a helmet!

Canguy- I love Tokyo! My parents lived there for two years. Check out Shin Hinomoto for dinner one night in Yurakucho. Owner is a Brit who married a Japanese girl and took over the family restaurant. His name is Andy. Great guy!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Dee, I wrote out my answers to your list this morning.
I have a big occasion coming up in a few weeks which will have an open bar and family drama, so I will have to have a plan for that eve.

Canguy, hope you have a great time in Japan.

Vipe, hope you are feeling better now that it is warmer.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Badger that one is adorable, but the wild ones are furious at everything and everyone. And they can rip you to shreds .

Ok day. I spent at the boat yard. At least I've got a family business to go to hang out at. There's always something going on there. It hit 100 degrees today and I finally was a bit warm in my thick black pants and two layers on top. I might need to put on shorts. Not sure yet. Haha. I like the heat.

Between the heat and possibly my full dose of my new medication I'm feeling better. Physically stronger and mentally more confident. I feel like getting a damn job or starting my own thing (more likely since I'm not going to get hired by anyone for a real job).

I think I'll take a shower and call it a night. I put a side of beef outside for the Fisher Beast. Haha.

V
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Canguy?! Japan?? Awesome. Stay away from Thailand ya Ausssie lug! My nephew is just returning from a year there. It's so beautiful and interesting there.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
- Antoine De Saint-Exupery-

Heard this the other day and haven't been able to get it out of my head. After reading and catching up here I thought some others would like it rolling around in their heads too
Old 06-14-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Thanks nexttime. That is very helpful!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Good one Nexttime!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
- Antoine De Saint-Exuper
He was a pilot, yes? Fighter pilots in my family...very decorated, Aus guys in the US aircraft they gave us. They flew against the Japanese, a lot of the time they were very sick with malaria and worse. The Japanese were no better, they were starving. The Japanese were experienced tho....the Zeros were were better and faster, could turn on a pin. They had no armour or self sealing tanks....catch them... and they lit up.

Now I go to Japan. All the horror stories are hard to square with the everyday of it. We fought a bitter, brutal war with them....and now it simply never happened for them. Tokyo is totally shaped now by what happened then. It was burnt to ashes with napalm....the only thing left were the railway stations. The whole city has regrown around the stations....the yanamote line circles around them all.

It's just endless miles of concrete grey buildings. But in between, in the tiny streets...there's the always as ever Japan, the girl wearing the clogs and the kimono, fixing her hair using the phone as a mirror.

I've walked endlessly lost through Tokyo......mourning, drunk, just go, it goes all night,

This time......I hope for an easier time. Ok....
Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Have a a good trip Canguy. I was in Japan on business several times in the early 90's. It is the only place I have ever been that had vending machines that dispensed cans of beer. I also have a vague recollection of dancing on top of a bar with a beautiful Japanese girl!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Don't fret on the Japanese. They are friend now, not foe. Just like we once thought alcohol to be our friend, now it is our foe.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Canguy
I believe you are correct on the pilot part. To be honest I heard it said by Herm Edwards at the end of the 30 for 30 on ESPN about the broke athletes. I figured it wasn't original to him and Google gives credit to Antoine. I have not yet taken the time to educate myself about the man yet. Enjoy that Japan trip. Perhaps plan on remembering it all to better take it in.
Leaving for camping for a long weekend this afternoon. The anticipation is almost surreal. 1st 100 percent only for fun trip this year. Normally by now I would have a half dozen trips under my belt but life has been in the way this year. I think catching up on life responsibilities in sobriety has contributed to the delay. It is a wonderful feeling however knowing that when I get back on Monday I won't feel lost or behind because I already have a handle on things beforehand if that makes sense. Anyways have a great couple days everyone
Old 06-15-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Administrator

70 years is a long time canguy -a whole lifetime..

I hope you have a good time in Japan, hope the exhibition goes well, and I hope you'll stay on the right road with the rest of us.

D
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

This evening, I went to an occasion with an open bar. It was the first time I have been around others drinking since I quit. It smelled like the people standing next to me were holding glasses of isopropyl alcohol (surgical grade).
I was fine drinking seltzer----and I ate a lot of appetizers.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

It is Dau.....its drinking industrial solvent.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I have that stuff in spray bottles to clean up pc boards when done soldering.. I look at it sometimes and think 'I drink this sh*t?'
Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Canguy,
I never noticed that smell before.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
Have a a good trip Canguy. I was in Japan on business several times in the early 90's. It is the only place I have ever been that had vending machines that dispensed cans of beer. I also have a vague recollection of dancing on top of a bar with a beautiful Japanese girl!

Lol, Retired....I think I met that girl too. And, yeah the vending machines still do that.

There is a cangirl at the other end, its been one of those strange long distance things. She's Chinese - Shanghainese...tho long time resident with a Japanese son. Its been on / off for years, but she's got me the apartment, I'm picked up at the airport. No straight down to Shibuya this time.

She drinks.....it will be difficult. They don't seem to see addiction or sober as we do. Drinking is a huge part of life there. The daily is so high stress, long hours, no space, sleeping on the train, the drinking is a social release. When you look at it, its a hugely alcoholic society. Available everywhere, not frowned on, men can **** in the streets, a whole type of quick cheap hotels to crash in when its too late to go home.
Not an easy place to be sober actually.
But just have to deal with it as it comes/

Ok...later
Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

My father was a ship engineer.... they ended up in Singapore at the end. They had truckloads of Japanese kid soldiers, saluting and bowing. The chief engineer on that ship had lost both his sons to them. They came climbing up the net and over the side for the work unloading. He went crazy, knifed two before they could pull him off. But nuking them was just total spite..unforgivable. There were only kids, mothers, the old left there by that time. It should have been demonstrated.....the emperor would have pulled the army and surrendered. But no..they got hit twice. The level of utter inhumanity in doing that.

I know this is old stuff. But the girl remembers her history too. This is what we talk about, wandering around. We talk about the dowager empress Cixi......"a fool" she spits. For them, she lost China for a hundred years. History in China is very long.

Anyway.

Later.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I need strength and support. I am going to abstain from my usual weekend drinking habit!