Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I use to take benedryl as a way to control my drinking. I'd take it at about 8 pm and it would make me pass out earlier so I could get up and go to work. I also had a terrible reaction to alcohol for a while, would make me have asthma like symptoms. That's when I learned to take the Benedryl. We're all different, I'm not saying it's a bad idea for anyone else, but it was part of the whole cycle for me, so I avoid it.
What's amazing to me now is looking back and realizing that for years I drank knowing it would make it hard for me to breathe, and I did it anyway! Now that's persistence. I just need to have as much persistence in staying sober!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi all! Lots of good discussions going on here.

Count me in as another allergy person. We shall see as spring starts to ramp up around here whether quitting helps me on that front.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Sober369, booze causes me horrible allergies. i compensated with huge amounts of allergy meds.

I never got myself off booze with something like benedryl, but I did it with weed a couple of times. I'd just smoke some strong fresh stuff at 4pm and that was the end of the day. After 30 days, it's easy for me to drop weed. Don't plan on that again though.

So I feel like I cracked the egg today. The breakthrough I've wanted in therapy, that my therapist and I have been waiting for. There is a shift in The Universe that I feel.

Ok, goodnight. BTW- Day 5 and 6, no benedryl.

V
Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I am a bit flustered with which programs to try and adopt. Count the days or no? Do I have a disease or not? I think it's just impulse control with me. I also need to find a better coping mechanism with stress, loneliness, anxiety, and sleep.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Axman,
IMHO, you are trying to over think it. If you have a drinking problem, the only way to fix it is to stop drinking, period!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Yes. I just need to stop. Just trying to find the best way for me to stay stopped. I am a head case sometimes!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Day 36

Feeling good, yet tired. Ate a pint of ice cream for breakfast.... haha. Work is slowing down, so my hours are going down also, only going to work 40 hours next week. I'm super grateful for that.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Congradulations on the breakthrough Viper.
I don't count days necessarily but I know damn well my last beer was Feb. 11th 2017. I understand the RR theory that why count the days if you will never drink again. I also understand counting the days as an accomplishment or something that has been achieved. I say whatever works that there is no wrong answer here.
The conversation earlier about doing more with life than just not drinking anymore hit home for me. I found myself hitting the recliner every night after work doing nothing which I used to blame on drinking. I am working on doing a little more each day to avoid my same old patterns sans the beer. I started walking after work with my wife which seems to be adding some energy to the evening. Baby steps.
Have a great one everyone.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've seen successful recoveries with counting and without...don't get distracted tho - I reckon as long as you don't drink, thats the main thing

D
Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Axe, this goes back the age old quandary: Am i a one day at a time person, or a never again person? I guess it doesn't make any difference, 'just don't take a damn drink!' seems to be the prevailing wisdom . Haha. I distinctly remember Dee being a 'never againer.' There are a lot of threads on that. I understand you're trying to figure out how this is going to work and I applaud it. Don't overthink. Keep busy, get exercise, watch Narcos, keep calm and carry on.

Disonant, A pint of ice cream for breakfast?? BBBBWWWWAAAHHHHHAHAHAHA!! Better than a pint of whiskey!

I'm still feeling the break through or whatever is going on. It's a relief. The therapist and I cracked the granite wall that's been impeding my progress. We were thinking it was covering more trauma, they needed to be hauled out. It turns out, I feel like, it's the real me we uncovered. My inner child, free of the costume I've been wearing, the bluster of the boozer. It's physically feels like something good is trying to push out of my chest for days now. Not Alien , like... the real me, free of pretense, ok with my mistakes, the true kind person I am. Maybe it sounds weird, but I built a suit of armor around myself for 47 years, and I want to climb out.

This is really really good.

Anyway, I'm computing the best prices for my car parts online. My mechanic is going to set a date. The $3100 job at the national chain is down to about $1100. My guy charges half the labor cost, and has me ordering the parts direct. It also needs a new headlight system which I bought. This keeps the 2003 Acura on the road for a while (I hope), and it's the cheapest route to take. 160k miles on it now. I'm getting timing belt/water pump, inner/outer tie rods, all new struts (w/mounts, etc), and the new electronics for the headlights. I've already have newer brakes, tires, axles, sway bar links, fluids, spark plugs, full tune up. Maybe I can push it to 200k.

I'm greatful for what I've got, but it would be nice to be able to replace this thing. However, maybe I'll be able to travel and this little car is a good 'home base' car to leave at my parent's.

Ok talk later.

V
Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

It's hard for me to know the right way to go about staying sober, too. I am going to AA and it does help sometimes, but I'm also reading about recovery and I'm trying to get back in touch with my God, Higher Power, spirituality, whatever you want to call it. I just keep doing the best I can one day at a time, with whatever and whoever I can find to help.
One thing I heard recently that really rang true for me, is "You can't think your way into right actions, you have to act your way into right thinking". I hope I said that right. So, do the next right thing one thing at a time and soon your thinking will straighten out. Basically. I heard that at AA, and I think that's one of the things I like about AA, is I hear things there that help.
Years ago, maybe ten, I had two years of sobriety in AA. It was very different then in the town I lived in back then. I almost immediately formed a very tight friendship with a group of about ten or twelve people. We did things together and supported one another every day. It was awesome. It's not like that here, where I live now. But, I am still getting some good out of it. I just have to keep my expectations down. I often find myself feeling sad when I leave the meetings that that support isn't there anymore, and that I let it go when I had it.
Oh well, new day, new way. I'm just glad I have this new chance at recovery.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

I distinctly remember Dee being a 'never againer.'
I am now but I've been one day at a time guy too. in earliest days

The common factor is don't drink, ever

D
Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Meow

Not sure what was up last night, but couldn't get on here.

Viper, so glad for your breakthrough! As for the car, I need repairs on mine too. It's a 2013 with 83,000 miles. Think I drive a bit more than you? lol. Anyway, I hit a famous Michigan pothole and now I have a rattle near my front wheel.

I have an open bottle of wine from this past weekend that is annoying me in my fridge. The person who brought it was supposed to take it with them. I know, throw it out. But it is staying there so I can thumb my nose at it until I give it back to them this weekend. I don't like sweet white wine anyway. HA! to you, wine.

Axe, my friend, you are procrastinating. I am a master procrastinator. If I had to name my biggest flaw, that would be it. I procrastinate best when it's a task that I find unpleasant. When read your recent posts, that is what I see.

If I were counting days, I'd be at 60 today. I just know that because it's a nice round number. This month was easy because it was the date plus 30. Next month won't be easy to count because of that pesky 31st day in March. :P
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days, Purple Cat and here is wishing you the best for your next 30!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Congrats on your breakthrough V. Sounds amazing.

I am a procrastinator. Need to stop that.

I have been feeling very depressed lately. I need to find a way out of that, because that's really where this all started.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
Congrats on your breakthrough V. Sounds amazing.

I am a procrastinator. Need to stop that.

I have been feeling very depressed lately. I need to find a way out of that, because that's really where this all started.
JMHO, Axe, but the way to get out of it is to make a plan and start taking action. When I procrastinate on something I find I get anxious and have feelings of low self esteem (why can't I do this?!? Kind of feelings). Once I make a plan of action and follow through, I feel much better about life.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I do need a plan - it's just challenging at times with mine and my wife's work. We typically both work until 6:30-7pm then have 45 minute commutes home which wears us out and limits our time at home together to be productive. It's like "walk the dogs, eat dinner, go to bed."

I'm going to try to start exercising. It has worked in the past to keep me from drinking - never wanted to ruin a good run afterwards by drinking.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Meow

You're making excuses, axe. We all have challenges that we could use as excuses for not quitting. I commute over an hour a day, work 45-50 hour weeks, and my husband has cancer and drinks more than I did. Them's pretty good excuses, and believe me, I used them in the past.

Want to know what my plan was at first? Day 1: No alcohol. Day 2: No alcohol. Day 3: No alcohol. Day 4: No alcohol. After two weeks of this, I started adding things. Day 8: No alcohol, move for 30 minutes. After a couple more weeks, "no alcohol" had become the norm and I've moved my goals into improving other areas of my life.

I'm still behind you 100%, but you gotta give up the procrastination and excuses or you will be sitting here in 2018, still drinking, going yeah, but I don't have time and my dog is fat and that's why I don't have a plan yet. I need to make a plan.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 36

Hey everyone, still sober. Still sticking with it. Although everyday I don't do exactly everything I want to do, my nose is pointed the right way and I'm going forward.

About the day counting thing.... I count days because I read somewhere that the 30 day, 60 day, 90 day sober milestones are pretty significant. Not just mentally getting over hurdles, but brain chemistry and physical dependance issues. I'm not a professional, or doctor so don't quote me on this. There is a reason most inpatient treatment programs are 90 days. Medical, science type reasons, that I'm not well schooled on, so I'm counting to 90, then after that I'm not going to worry about it.

Hope everyone is doing well and sober.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

My dogs aren't fat! I feed them nice healthy food. I made a new batch last night and they were so happy to eat this morning.

I am looking forward to walking the when I get home. The fresh air is good for me. They make me very happy.