Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 03-27-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Disonant

.....but have you decided what it is that you want to do sober?

Maybe you have to give it some time to become clear. We're all coming out of a mental fog. You'll find it.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am feeling better about being sober tonight. I am looking forward to that hangover free shower in the morning. I love those. I need a clear head to get work under control this week. Lots and lots of projects coming up and I have felt like I am doing too much juggling.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi class! Still here, still going strong at mid thirty some days. Feeling good and keeping myself busy. Lots of work obligations have kept my mind busy. I've been getting more involved in my church and doing lots of activities with my kids. No cravings as of late. AV has chilled out a bit.

Hang in there ax- you're staying accountable and staying with us here. Keep plugging away.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Axe, I've been sick since I was 19. A lot of auto immune stuff. But I'm largely recovered, I just need to avoid a lot of things. Alcohol can give me allergies for 5 days or so. I mean 4 benedryl a day and 2 12 hour psuedopheds. So it's brilliant that I'd risk that. The first thing I became really sensitive too was booze, now I have 20 allergies or intolerances. I bet with 6 months clean and tons of sunshine, most of my issues would go away. I'm just putting that together even though I've known this for a while.

Doctors are telling me my food issues and depression on based on an unhealthy digestive tract. Microbiome imbalance. So pouring poison in there is stupid. Stick to my diet (no junk and pretty strict), exercise, meditate, don't drink, and it corrects itself.

Ok last check in. Time for sleep

V
This is really interesting. I think I may be struggling with similar issues. I've developed a pretty sudden histamine intolerance. Fortunately for my sobriety, alcohol makes me feel awful for several days. The thought of enduring that is just ludicrous. Unfortunately for me, coffee and chocolate also affect me. I'm learning my triggers. I'm hoping with improved gut health and kidney function, this will correct itself. I'm on a steady stream of supplements so that should also help.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Funny to come here and find you all talking about food sensitivities. I have just started the Fodmap diet, at least I think I'm saying it right. No wheat, milk, limits to foods that can upset your tummy. No high fructose corn syrup, either, which means I can't drink my favorite fruit drink. I haven't stuck to it perfectly, but I think I'm doing better already.
Been going to lots of meetings and feeling pretty good. Still have some cravings at times. Not allowing them to stay in my mind at all. I just say no and call someone right away. I hope they aren't getting tired of hearing from me about it, but if they are, oh well. I really need that part of it for now at least.
I've also been trying to cut down on the news. I was getting addicted! I think it feeds my depression somewhat.
Hang in there everyone! We can do this!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I went backward tonight, posted before I'd read all the new posts. And, now I'm sleepy and need to go to bed!
But, I want to say sorry to Viper that your dad was so horrible to you.
And to Axeman, do you have a plan? What are you going to do to prepare for the upcoming weekend, when you fear you may drink?
And to all of you, thanks for your posts. They mean a lot to me, and I always have things I want to say back to them, but sleep is calling. And, my memory is still improving (notice the positive spin I put on that!) so I forget everything I want to say when I get to the bottom. lol, I hope to be a better forum member soon.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

No one is better or worse- you judge yourself there, Sober. Great you are posting.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Apparently beer is full of histamines.

I had a permanent running nose.....
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I was sober last night. I slept well, but I sweat well, too. That's what I get, though. I will be sober again tonight and will develop a strong plan for Friday and Saturday. The last 2 times it involved trips to the grocery store to plan on cooking some big fancy meal. I think Friday will be Pizza delivery - which I haven't done in years. Saturday may be the night I need to stay with my parents.

Exercise will also be something I need to introduce as a new habit.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

So interesting to read that beer/alcohol has histamines. That might explain a very mucus-y cough when I was drinking that clears up just a few days after, which is also when I take a few Benadryl to help with sleep.

Sober last night - still some minor symptoms today from the weekend but I had fruit for breakfast and now green tea at work. I will hydrate well and eat clean today and go to bed early tonight. I know sober night #2 tends to be a little harder on sleep, but sober day 3 is SO WORTH IT!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi

Axe, I can definately back up the Canguy and Dau about changing your life Canguy and Dau. It is true that at 60 days you (or at least I) can 'organize' and orchestrate something that would have been beyond my abilities while drinking. You'll be like "Wow I did that! I've been meaning to do it for 5 years and never put it together."

The other thing is interests and someone mentioned watching news programs. It might not be super healthy to take on HBO or Netflix, but some snacks and a few episodes of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones is a pretty nice way to spend an evening compared to drinking. And fun!! You'll start to look forward to that instead. If it's Nature Documebtaries then watch those or do something. I know a guy that took up woodworking when he quit, and now makes amazing furniture when he gets out of work.

V
Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Just a check in. The last couple of days have been stressful, but I'm here.

I think I put a big crack in the psychological component driving my negative behaviors, bad habits, and being stuck in a rut. Also, probably the cause if my Immune Issues. I feel it heaving up out of me.

SOBER369, Food Intolerances: If you feel better after a few days, after 30 days you'll feel amazing. I cut out the top 'inflammatory' foods. Wheat, corn, dairy, soy, eggs, and some others I know bother me. In a month it was revolutionary. Now I'm cheating and on and off. But I know I can get right back to it.

Axeman, if you notice you need Benadryl after you drink. YOU NEED TO STOP RIGHT NOW. It will only become more and more benedryl, then you'll need Benadryl, Psuedophed, and Claritin for 5 days after you drink. Not only that but other foods will start to bother you. Trust me, I did it to myself. You don't want to be where I'm at with this. It's destroying the chemistry of your gut biome and your immune system.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Viper - I am actually using Netflix to help with staying sober. Watching Narcos. For some reason, I love documentaries, docu-dramas, or anything related to Narco culture - despite never being a cocaine user. It just fascinates me - but I would NEVER try it.

I think I saw that Better Call Saul Season 2 is out now, so that might be next.

I am taking Benadryl not with alcohol or because of it. It just gets me a touch drowsy and I use it for sleep along with an herbal OTC. I am just wondering if that helps a touch with getting rid of that post nasal drip cough.

I am excited about what I could accomplish with a clear head and new priorities. I'd love to organize my garage and start biking again.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
HFA

Axeman,
As stated before have you looked at Rational Recovery? It is just a different way of looking at the additions and seems to work for a lot of people?
Smart online is good too. Lots of tools to help with negative feelings leading to negative actions.
Just some suggestions on other things to help with a life plan.

Speaking of RR, one of the practices is to not count days. They give some good reasons. I have mixed feelings, but since I have decided to try the RR path I am going to take down my wall calendar with the numbers and stop counting days as I post.

stay strong and sober on.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Axe, Oh I get the Benadryl. That's fine. Wrong idea on my part.

Narcos was great! It's so well done. I went to school with a guy who traveled Latin America for a year when he got his MA, and he ended up becoming a freelance reporter on the Narcos. He's always popping up in the Chicago Tribune, LA Times etc. I was supposed to make a life for myself like that. I was watching some episodes of Breaking Bad because they are were a Best of Saul Goodman Marathon last night on AMC. I was laughing my tail off.

Yeah Netflix and HBOnow are extremely helpful in giving you something to do. If you eat a bucket of movie snacks, at least it ain't booze.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

My therapy session went well today. My father never exactly said "You'all never amount to anything," or "You're a useless piece of crap," (actually he may have) he just repeatedly got the message across to me in other ways, and it set in very deep. For someone like me that is extra sensitive it 'can be' and was disastrous. I'm really done here. Done with my old ways of thinking and my vicious circle. I really feel something, someone else, trying to break out of me. I don't want to spend another minute in my parents house or in CT. I'm done. I'm totally done with my negative life.

I have no idea what is next, but there is no certainty in life. I can't be what I was. I need to just be ok with being i the unknown and move forward. Man, when I got home I dreaded walking in today. I am so over this house and this place.

It took my years with my brain looping around in a circle to really 'get' what I already knew.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Hi Disonant

.....but have you decided what it is that you want to do sober?

Maybe you have to give it some time to become clear. We're all coming out of a mental fog. You'll find it.
I think you are right. I need to have some patience. I think I'm on the right track, tho. Maybe I'm expecting to much to soon. I'll show a little more faith in myself.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 35

Feeling better, still sober. Things aren't getting to me as much.

Talk to you guys tomorrow
Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

One checks out.....
......another checks in

Morning class.....
Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

HFA,

Speaking of RR, one of the practices is to not count days. They give some good reasons. I have mixed feelings, but since I have decided to try the RR path I am going to take down my wall calendar with the numbers and stop counting days as I post.
somehow I didn't realize that ^^^^^. I am finding it important to count the days.