Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-09-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was jealous of drinkers too Need, but as I built a new sober life for myself - one I loved - what other people did worried me less and less.

Do you feel you're missing out on something? or are you annoyed because you feel your husband is changing the rules? Is it the hiding thats bothering you?

If you can work out what it is thats niggling you, you can deal with it

D
Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Day 161.
Hey NACN.
You are doing so well. It isn't always plane sailing for us is it, unfortunately.
I have forgotten who it was in our class that used to talk about "playing the tape forward" but whenever I feel jealous of normal people being able to sit in the sun, enjoying a few drinks on a patio or pub garden, I play the tape forward.

I end up seeing how bad I was last year. I go from being disgusted at myself to pitying that person. People around me can drink, I can not. I have a lot of catching up to do, as far as having a good life.

You are doing great, NACN, and will find a way to traverse this bump, I know. There is no going back for us now. - Maybe next time, tip out his not-so-secret vodka in the sink and swap it for a cup of tea .. or maybe not

Talking of cups of tea, I have just made a fresh one and plan on taking it back to bed for a nap before going into work.

Have a healthy, sober and happy Saturday Januarians.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Day 161,
Just checking in NACN my boyfriend still drinks in the house and I find myself jealous as well from time to time. Sometimes it doesn't phase me...but yeah, sometimes it really does!! And I can totally relate to the smell of alcohol on breath!!! The one saving grace is that he's not a wine drinker. I honestly don't think I'd be able to handle that!!

It's still very much one day at a time for me and I expect it will be this way for a long time. Some days I'm fine and others I find myself so angry that I can't drink normally. Today, for example, my friend and I went to the beach and we were later joined by the guy she's seeing and his friends. They had some beer and then were all going back to my friend's house for a BBQ. Of course, I was invited, but I knew it was dangerous territory. It's times like this I play the tape forward which I did and is why I'm home now instead of there, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

Anyways, I'm gonna try to put a positive spin on the night and get some laundry and cleaning done

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend
Old 06-11-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Hi there classmates!

Beautiful day here on the east coast. It's supposed to be way too hot today, so I'm glad (kinda) that I am going to stuck inside with a ton of grading to do. One more week and school is out!

I'm aching today as I spent the whole day yesterday working with the chainsaw in the yard, trimming the trees back from the house. Looks good.

Don't know if I said already but the big news here is that my neighbor's cows are calving and there are 6 baby cows running around in the field at the back of our yard! Super cute!

Ina --- well done on skipping the BBQ. It is as you say "dangerous territory" this time of year. Rationally, giving things like this a miss is really a very small price to pay for protecting your sobriety. I figure that we are only 4 or 5 months in, so being extra cautious is definitely a good idea.

Other than that, it's just a lazy sunday morning hangover-free. Perfect!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Day 162.
I guess with all the warm weather, friends socializing or family visits, we are all struggling to greater or lesser amounts.

I was late today logging in as I had a rare visit from my father, who is older now.
Sunday's are my quiet, reset day usually and today is no exception. Just a quick check-in .
Have a lovely, sober and happy day all.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Day 160.

Sunny hot day today here, Mr. McTell I believe we are in the same part of the world! I am not a huge hot weather lover, but spending some time outside under some shade is nice. I hear you about wanting to get grading done, I was in that spot about a month ago. Best of luck in getting it all completed!

Ina, great job avoiding the temptation of the BBQ. That type of thing would set me right off as well. Hope you got lots of laundry done!

I don't think I am really bothered by my husband "hiding" the drink, I think it is more that he is being discreet than trying to keep it from me that he is drinking. I think it is that I am jealous. Not all the time, but like you said DLB, it could be the warm weather which I typically associate with cold drinks! I like your idea of tipping out the vodka and replacing it with tea lol! That would be a shocker for him.

About to start cooking out now, so I probably should go. Have a wonderful Sunday evening, and good luck to everyone starting the new week!
NACN
Old 06-12-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Day 163.
A typical late Monday start. I think Sundays are the only day I actually unwind. Monday mornings are a right off as far as rising early. The extra sleep is, at least, needed even if I spend the morning rushing to get to work on time.

Have a healthy, happy and sober week classmates. One more day.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Day 164.
Good morning classmates. Up early. Super busy this week but doing OK.
Hope everyone is doing well. Have a healthy, happy and sober day all.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hello all!

Day 162.

Wow that seems like a lot all of a sudden!! We should all be so proud, we've got some big numbers racked up. Thank God for all of you here, not sure I would have made it otherwise.

It's HOT again here, I'm not a fan of the heat. I think today is the last day of the really hot stuff though.

Enjoying the last few days before the kids are out of school! My 10 year old is mostly doing fun stuff these last few days, but my high school girls are into finals so it's a bit stressful for them. Everyone will be done by next Tuesday. Then me and the girls are off to Chicago for a week! Looking forward to it. It is mostly a soccer tournament for my younger daughter, but we will have time to see things as well!

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy, sober day!
NACN
Old 06-13-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!

The sun is finally shining after a few rainy days, so I'm going out for a nice walk and then getting a massage later. My shoulder has been bothering me so hopefully that will help.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Day 165.
Well done NACN. It is a lot And you too, Site. I think you are now 165, same as me. Great work. Hope the shoulder feels better.

I have two current pains (right hip and left knee) both hurt if I don't run for a few days. If I am 3 days into my exercise routine, everything is fine. if i stop, it is like everything looses flexibility. If WD40 existed for the joints, that would be awesome.

I am ridiculously late for work today. Hope my fellow Januarians are doing well.
Have a sober, happy and healthy day all.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Evening all,
Just checking in. Not much going on here, just cleaning up after the construction guys who fitted a new window for me. Looks nice, but we have another busy weekend painting to finish the job up. Life is satisfyingly "normal" right now.

It's close to five weeks now on the anti-depressants and my mood is lifting nicely. I'm sure you all recognize the feeling, but I'm sad I wasted so many years assuming I would always feel like sh*t and fighting against being miserable. Now I've put the hard work in, things are improving. Feeling motivated and on top of things in a way that has been a struggle for far too long.

Hope you have had a great day. England lost in the cricket but c'est la vie!
Old 06-15-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Day 166.
What an uplifting , good bit of news, MrM. - not the bit about England loosing to Pakistan
But about your motivation level and the success of new med routine. Super happy for you. After all the hard work maybe easier roads are ahead ? For all of us hopefully. Anyway, it is great to hear how well you are doing.

I am OK. Not a great week so far, but will take that. I have have other good ones so I guess they all balance out somehow.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Wednesday all.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Day 167.
Fridays and weekends are typically quiet on our little thread so I will keep it short. Hope all the Januarians are doing well. Tough week for me but hanging in there.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Just checking in with 147 days. A maximum break DLB! That's 21 weeks. Crazy, as I probably only went 21 days 3 or 4 times in 20 years. 150 and then five months coming up next week.

Anyway, just finished my last day teaching ready for a productive weekend and getting in to my new job for the summer on Monday.

Hope everyone is feeling good. Enjoy the weekend. Perhaps I'll post something more interesting then!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend guys

D
Old 06-17-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Day 168.
You too Dee, Thank you.
MrM. I know ! As quiet as our class is now, I am so proud of the 5 or 6 of us who have stayed the course. When we signed up, who would have known ? Who would have picked the few of us as being able to get this far.

I know we can go further and use our hard fought sobriety to create better lives for ourselves and loved ones. This is the part I struggle with now. Hoping for a magic button where there is none.

Have a happy and sober weekend classmates. Humbled to on this journey with you.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Day 168,

Hey Everyone,

NACN - hope you’re enjoying the few days before the kids are out of school. Very cool to go to Chicago…I’ve always wanted to go! Looks like a beautiful city…you’ll have to report back what it’s like!

Site - Hope your shoulder’s feeling better after the massage

MrM - Congrats on the end of the school year! Hope you’re getting lots done this weekend!

DLB - I’m also so proud of the few of us still going. A small but strong group that I’m so grateful to be a part of

I’ve had a bit of a doozy of a week. I mentioned that I had to bring my Basset Hound into the vet a week or two ago. Well on Monday we brought him into the Oncologist and got the bad news that he has bone cancer. It’s aggressive and has spread. He says he thinks he may live till the end of summer I’m hoping he makes it till the first snowfall to get one more little run in the snow, but we’ll see. We have checkups at the vet every few weeks. Our main concern is that he’s not in pain and have meds for that. He’s 10 1/2 so he’s an older dog. My boyfriend has had him since he was a puppy, but we’ve been together for 9 years so I’ve become his mom over the years I’m heartbroken, but so grateful that I’ve had the last 5 1/2 months sober with him. I really do feel like we've gotten closer and have enjoyed every minute to the fullest. So the plan now is to enjoy the summer and spoil him with walks, snuggles and treats.

Other than that my AV has been pretty loud this week. I find myself angry I can’t drink and at the same time frustrated at how much time I've wasted from drinking. I know, ridiculous. I think I’m also so used to using alcohol when things are bad/good that dealing with my emotions sober is still a bit of a learning curve. As far as getting over cravings, I've been staying pretty close to SR this week just reading a lot and going on chat. I’m also trying to be a bit more proactive in my future and looking into classes and workshops to better my career. I have to start letting go of the fact I wasted those years and instead spend the time figuring out how to move forward.

Anyways, today I’m feeling much more positive so that’s good. I read this forum every day and get strength from all of your posts, so thank you.
Hope you’re all enjoying your weekend!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Well I got stuck somewhere last night where I really didn't want to be, but had no choice. Managed to make it through without drinking! Uncomfortable social situations were always a big drinking excuse for me, so I'm glad to see I'm making progress. It may have seemed less fun at the time not drinking, but it's so nice to wake up and not have to worry about what I said or what I did.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Site
Happy Fathers Day to everyone celebrating it this weekend

D