Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-18-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Day 167!

Quick post! Happy Father's Day to all out there to whom it applies and/or are celebrating it today!! We are just having a barbecue on our back deck. Humid but cloudy and threatening rain all day, none so far!!

Happy Sunday all, and happy beginning of the week!
NACN
Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I'm off to bed super early tonight as I have new first day at my new (actually old) job tomorrow. Will be good to get back to my other job and see some of my friends there.

Other than that, I wanted to say how sorry I am about your dog Ina. I'm an animal person and know that it is hard when they get sick.

Keep going everyone. I'll have 150 days in a few hours. Crazy stats.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Also forgot to mention that today was the best father's day ever. I got Marmite!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Day 170.
Hi classmates. I missed yesterday due to some unforeseen events, and typical computer issues, but it was nice to read so many posts today.
I am very sorry about your dog, Ina. Stay strong.

Have a healthy, happy and sober week all.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Day 171.
Hope everyone is doing well. Things are a bit out-of-sorts for me lately. So far it hasn't threatened my sobriety routine but I have lost my drive a bit. As far as extra work, projects and exercise. Fatigue is a bit of an issue so I might be hitting a down phase.
We'll see this week. I have pulled myself out of these before so .. here we go.

I forgot to wish you good luck at your new (old) job, MrM. I am sure it will be fun getting back into everything again.

Have a happy, sober and happy day all. One more day.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Day 171,
Just a quick check in

I hope you all enjoyed Father's day! NACN - Hope the bad weather continued to stay at bay and you had a lovely BBQ!

DLB - I've also been out of sorts lately and my sleep patterns are all over the place. Glad to hear that it hasn't threatened your sobriety though. It's frustrating though, isn't it?! I thought we'd be over this by now....but then again, as I have to continue to remind myself....it took me YEARS to get to this place....may take awhile to crawl back out
"I have pulled myself out of these before so .. here we go." Your enthusiasm and determination continues to inspire me....I agree....here we go...we can do this

MrM - Hope your first week at the old/new job is going well

Hope you all are having a great start to the week.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Just looking through some of my posts....I certainly seem to love these emoji's don't I?!?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

some serious milestones here - congrats guys

If you feel you're slowing down a little - there are some good ideas in this link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

and this one:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

D
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hello Januarians,

I am sorry to hear that you have been low lately DLB. I don't know if you know this, but I consider you the "cheerleader" of this group, kind of the glue that holds us together! So it makes me very sad to know that you are down and having difficulties. Know that we are all still here, even if our numbers are a bit low lately! And know that I am inspired by you.

Tomorrow I am flying for the first time since I've stopped drinking. I am a very anxious flyer. Usually I take an anti-anxiety med when I fly, but I didn't call my doc in time I am very nervous. I have to be up at 4 AM and it is now 11PM here, I am not sure I will be able to sleep much. I am just trying to concentrate on what fun I will have with my 2 daughters on this girls' trip!

Hope work is going well Mr. McT!

Good to hear from you (and your emojis!) Ina!

Have a great sober day everyone.
NACN
Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may be a little uncomfortable for a while but I think you'll be fine Need - have a great time with your girls

D
Old 06-21-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Day 172.
Thankyou Ina and NACN. I appreciate the kind and motivational words. Dee, your posts are great. Thank you for taking the time to compile all that. I will read more thoroughly today.

Today was an early start again. About to exercise and work on a personal project (tutorial). Crawling back into my morning, self-improvement routine before work. It is hard getting motivated and will only get harder when I begin running. It seems that activity and achievement are the enemies of depression. Going for it today. My coffee is kicking in, which helps.

My work week has been hard, stressful and draining which adds to the fatigue, messes up my sleep and interrupted the constructive cycle I was on, and enjoying. Digging back into it again. Thank you again wonderful classmates for helping motivate me.

I did notice our day counts are getting dangerously close to 6 months, which is exciting. I think Ina and I are up first. Then I love the days/weeks after, reading when each Januarian crosses the line.

Have a healthy, sober and inspiring day all. We can do this.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

You're doing great DLB! Keep going. You are an inspiration to me too!

Six months is just around the corner. Definitely getting my wife to make me a half cake for that one! I passed 5 months today, so I am starting to look forward to that one too.

Work is a bit of a bore for me I'm afraid, but I knew that going in. I'm temporarily in charge of a lot of business letters. You know what they say: "With great power comes great responsibility... And the need for a lot of caffeine." Only for the summer, so that's okay.

And I do get to listen to my podcasts, so it works well. I'm listening to Recovery Elevator now and then, which is I can happily recommend. Not too exciting, but the guy has a guest every week(?) talking about her or his experiences with recovery that I do find interesting and helps tone my sober muscles.

Lots of coffee breaks in the gorgeous weather here, too.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Day 173.
Thanks MrM. I appreciate the encouragement.
& I think a half-cake is a great idea !
Sorry the new job is an adjustment getting used to the boredom. Over time, maybe you get just get better/more efficient at it so you can get through it easier. It sounds like being around your old friends is fun at least. Thanks for the podcast suggestion. I listen to tons of podcasts ( mostly sport) so it is nice to mix it up.

NACN, I hope the flight went well. I am sure you did great, even if you were sleep deprived . Focusing on all the fun your girls will have, and getting through the flight, was a great plan. Thinking of you.

So, my day back into my early morning routine was good yesterday. I had a tiny sense of achievement going into work that i had been missing.
This morning was still hard getting up again. I think it will take a few weeks for this to feel second nature again. The drift off was definitely caused by work issues and stress. Trying to not let all that affect me so much.

My coffee is kicking in so I am going to get some stuff done before my exercise. Have a happy, healthy and constructive day everyone. One more sober day.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Day 174.
A slow start today but happy with yesterday. Too early to say if I have turned the corner, as far as mood and keeping on track with goals, but yesterday went well. Digging in again today.

Just being sober clearly isn't enough. But discovering some of the reasons why I used to drink and doing something about those, seems to be what is happening now.

Have a sober, happy and healthy day all. One more day .
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Day 174

Hey everyone,

I know what you mean, DLB, this journey for me is so much more than just being sober.

Personally, I feel like I’m constantly meeting myself again. I’m discovering a lot I like about myself, but also some harsh realities. While drinking I think I had a tendency to play the victim a lot. Not outwardly to others, but in my head. What I thought of others turns out was more of a reflection of my unhappiness. It’s a bit of a strange and humbling realization.

I have also been trying to think about why I drank, which is turning out to be a trickier question than I thought. I believe fear of failure, being a bit of an introvert and good old fashion laziness are some of the reasons….I always found it easier to drink and think about how great life could be than actually face things head on and do the work to get there. That’s also a tough one to swallow. But it's important for me to be honest with myself and realize that I am not a victim….only of my own self-sabotage. I put myself in this situation…so I have to put on my big girl pants and get myself out of it, and day by day I’m getting there.

I don’t mean to sound like a Debbie downer because, in fact, it’s the opposite – these realizations help me make a plan to move forward to a happier future

Anyways, almost the witching hour for me so I’m off to make some fresh pasta and probably butcher a recipe…but hey, it’s better than killing a bottle of wine

Hope you all are having a great evening!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Day 175.
Thanks Ina.
That is almost exactly how I feel. Now we are this far in, discovering the why we used to drink and F everything up, is a bit of a revelation.
My reasons are very similar to yours. Addressing some of those problems seems to be the next logical step, doesn't it. I am still figuring all this out as I have never been sober this long.

I really appreciate your post. I could have written it myself, although a lot less eloquently. And probably more swearing

Have a healthy, happy and sober day wonderful Januarians.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Just a quick check-in from Chicago!

The flight went very well, my adorable older daughter held my hand during take off, which is my least favorite part!

We are having a blast here. My younger daughter's soccer team won the first two games of the tournament! And best of all, tonight we have tickets to HAMILTON!! Just can't wait.

I have had a couple of pangs, but I bought a nice big bag of jelly beans and I've been getting fat on them! Better than the alternative.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
NACN
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Day 176.
That is awesome NACN. So glad the flight went well and our older daughter was so kind and understanding. I am sure both daughters understood how hard it was for you and really appreciate you going through with it to see the matches. Well done wit the Jelly beans, And YES, far better than the alternative.
Have a safe flight back !

I am white tea (silver needle) today and I am sure I have way too much caffeine already. A bit late checking in, as is typical on Sunday. My routine went well this weekend so happier than normal.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Sunday Januarians. Beginning of a new week !
Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

day 174

hey everyone. i haven't really posted on here a lot but was just wanting to say good job to everyone on staying sober. up to about 3 weeks ago I would type in my day of sobriety and read random messages.ifinally got logged in here and have been keeping up with current posts.
I was having issues with cravings starting back up and I was getting pretty frustrated with it but things feel like they have smoothed out. My wife and I are going to Florida friday when I get off work and I think a part of me has been plotting to drink on this vacation. celebrate for doing so good! staying sober for 6 months..blah,blah blah. I want to punch that part of me. lol. I know that would be a huge mistake and I have no plans of going down that road. I'm sure these r thoughts that will continually kick up from time to time but will be easier to ignore the more time we get under our belt. anyway..just wanted to say that and tell everybody great job! keep up the good work!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Day 177.
Welcome Irish. Well done for managing your sobriety for so long. Everyone on this thread is super nice. It is nice to have a new Januarian.

As is typical on Monday, I am running super late for work. So just a quick check-in for me.
Have a healthy, sober and happy week all! One more day.