Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Six Months!

Not going to post much because I'm getting ready to travel to my parents' house for the holiday celebration. I am happy to have made it this far, feeling happy and healthy. Thank you to everyone here for helping me to make it this far!!

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, sober day.
NACN
Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Day 184,

Just a quick check in

NACN - Congrats on 6 months!!! Woot woot!!! Hope you have a lovely time at your parent's house

Lonicera - nice to see you check in Glad to hear you're doing well! I also look back at my old posts…a very good reminder of how far we’ve come!

DLB - I know what you mean with usually having bottles piling up! Long weekend here too and it’s so nice not spending it at bars and actually remembering it!

Had a nice quiet Canada Day weekend. I had a big BBQ I was invited to but opted out....was full of all my drinking friends and I felt the temptation may be a little too much, especially after just passing the half year mark. Was especially grateful the next day when my friend texted me at dinner telling me she was still recovering from the party….I do not miss that one bit!

Anyways, hope you’re all having a lovely start to the week!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Day 185
Congrats NACN on passing the 6 month line ! It feels good doesn't it. I used my milestone to reassess a bit and recommit to my routine, if that makes any sense.
Have a lovely break with your parents.

Ina, well done skipping the BBQ if it didn't feel right. I think avoiding difficult and boozy situations, if we can, is still so important. For me anyway. I am better at socializing around alcohol but there is a comfort level on the kind of event now.

My arms and legs all hurt from working out this long weekend. It has been a while since I can say that. I obviously need to do get back into the actual gym more, not just cycling or running. I am proud to feel this way again. It may explained why i haven't changes as much physically this year as I had hoped.

I also had a good weekend for my own study. It is back to work today. I felt this weekend I got back to me. Hoping work stress this week doesn't derail all the good feelings I have now. Here goes the work week ..

Have a happy, sober and happy week all.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Day 186
Just a quick checkin. Hope everyone is doing well.

Up early but no exercise before work. Trying the gym after work today for the first time in years.
Since I had that all over muscle body ache yesterday that I was missing from running alone, and felt great, I am going to vary my routine slightly and see if it helps.
Working on my own study stuff this morning. Drinking coffee, resigning myself to have to dig in and get some progress before work

Have a happy, healthy and sober day Januarians.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Day 186,

Checking in Now that I’ve passed the six-month mark I’m feeling confident to start being a bit more proactive with what comes next. I’ve allowed myself these past six months to in a sense heal and become comfortable in sobriety, which I think was necessary, but now I feel I'm ready to pick up the pace and start working on creating a better life. I haven’t been happy in my career for quite some time and have “talked” a lot about changing, but I’m ready now to make the necessary steps to make it happen. As we’ve all realized, sobriety doesn’t make your life instantly amazing and all your dreams suddenly come true, but what it has given me is a sense of clarity, confidence and a swift kick up the butt to start doing the work.

Anyways,
Hope you all are well
Old 07-05-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Quick check in...
DLB, I hope the evening workout went well! I think it's great that you are "feeling the burn"!
Ina, I think that the six month point is a great place to re-evaluate and try to figure out where to go from here. I think DLB said the much the same. I am taking inventory, writing down the amazing, small things that have happened since I stopped drinking. Once I have completed the list maybe I will share!
The holiday yesterday was just delightful. The weather was perfect. Started out by running a 4.5 mile road race with my husband (well, he runs a lot faster than I do, so we met at the finish line!). Then we watched my hometown parade, then back to my parents' house for swimming and cookout with my brother and sister and their families! It was a truly lovely day.
My sister in law did mention to me my brother's struggle with drinking, and told me some pretty hair raising stories. I just told her to let him know that I am here should he need me. I know that it has to be a personal decision to stop, and she seems to think he is not there yet. It made me very sad for him.

Tomorrow will be a day with the kids in the city, looking forward to it!

Have a lovely, happy, healthy, sober day my fellow Januarians.
NACN
Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Day 187.
Hi NACN and Ina.
Just to warn you my wonderful internet is down so I am back to two thumb phone typing. So a short one today.
Ina, that makes a lot of sense. Taking stock at 6 months and determining your next phase of life. I am with you and doing the same. It is almost scary setting on a new path but, IMO, worth a go.

NACN sorry to hear of your brothers struggles. I am sure, seeing your change, it will help inspire him, even if he doesn't say. Does your sister in law know there is a forum on SR for family members? I believe there is but I may be wrong.
I am glad you are doing well and had a nice trip with family. I bet you were able to enjoy and appreciate them more this year than the last.

Well. I am having a good week so far. Happy. A busy day so have to go to work early. Great to hear from you both.
Have a healthy, happy and sober day Januarians !
Old 07-06-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Hello All,

So, I have to just share this, and ask a question...has anyone else had strange/real/scary drinking dreams???

This morning I woke up in a complete panic, completely thinking that I had fallen off the wagon the night before. This was just a terrible feeling of course. Since my dream took place on an ocean cruise, there was not much of a possibility of it being real!! But the feeling certainly was real! In the dream, I didn't want to drink, but for some reason, I did, a lot. For some reason I had access to a rum and coke dispenser, and partook of it often. Also, in the dream I was hiding the fact I was drinking from everyone around me. Also, in the dream I attended an AA meeting on board the ship, and I knew everyone in the meeting! (in the dream I knew them...in real life I have no idea who they were!!) It was crazy, and so real feeling and guilt inducing!! I hope this kind of dream does not show up again!!

DLB it is so great to see you use the word HAPPY!!!! So wonderful. I have not suggested SR to my sister in law as of yet, but that is a very good idea. I didn't realize there was a section for families as well.

Have a great, HAPPY, healthy, sober day Januarians! And hopefully those dreams will not be haunting any of us any time soon!
NACN
Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Firstly congrats to NACN and Lonierca! Brilliant. Passing six months is a great achievement. I'm proud of all my peeps here on staying the course and working the sobriety thing. [I haven't been around much so apologies if i missed someone.]

I haven't been posting much as my current job is a real time sink. Not really what I wanted to be stuck doing, but it is supporting many things I do want to be doing, so there is a definite pay off. Other than that I'm just keeping my head down and moving forward. Managed to get poison ivy so that's keeping my mind occupied!

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow and might decide to come off the antabuse when i hit six months in a couple of weeks time. I'm nervous, Everyone here reaching six months (that's half a year!) has got my AV going quite a bit, which has not really been a problem for me since maybe 3 months in. I know it is common for people to relapse at milestones because they "prove" the problem has been fixed.

I don't think I am close to drinking but I've been feeling pretty restless about my recovery for a little while (not so much today actually, which is good). July 4th BBQ over the weekend was a chore as there was lots of beer drinking going on. I just hung out with the kids and lay in a hammock for most of it and didn't really interact with any adults at all!

My plan right now is to post here every day. Think I'm also going to broaden my recovery podcast listening (I have lots of listening time at the office right now) and read around SR in the evenings a bit more. I was maybe reading for 3-4 hours a day when I first got sober but my work circumstances just don't allow that right now.

Did you get a chance to see any of the cricket DLB? Joe Root, what a man!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needachangenow View Post
So, I have to just share this, and ask a question...has anyone else had strange/real/scary drinking dreams???
Not for a while, but most definitely yes. I even had a phantom "hangover" of sorts and some of the shame/ guilt that used to come with that. Confusing. A bit like one of those dreams where you have an argument with someone and having a feeling of resentment all day even though the person didn't really do anything!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Day 188.
Hi MrM and NACN
I do still get drinking dreams, very rarely now, but I do get them. I guess mine are similar in that I am drinking wine and wake myself up in a panic as I have thrown everything away. Not knowing anything about psychology, I take it as my AV, in a way, creeping in as I sleep ?
Either way, that feeling when you find out you haven't drank is a relief, so I feel good.
Hope that helps NACN. Not sure it did.

MrM I think marking a 6 month milestone by giving no meds a go seems brave but an exciting prospect if it all goes well.
If I remember correctly, it took you a while to first find the right meds, and then get used to them. I would be nervous also but I am sure you will do great if you choose to come off for a spell.
- Yes, Root is great. I have been following the cricket, in spurts, but mostly Froome in the Tour. Until I finally give in an watch Wimbledon !

I am late up for work. Doing well this week. I hope.
Have a great, healthy, sober and happy day all
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

I get the drinking dreams every once in a while - it was WAY worse last time I quit, but I've had one or two this time as well. They're terrifying, but a great reminder!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Day 189.
Hi Site. I agree how terrifying they can be. It feels like so much hard work has been for nothing. My drinking dreams have more-or-less stopped now, thankfully. The bad ones are awful.

My weekend is about to begin. MrM, I am not sure if you will be watching the rugby, but I am hoping for a Lions win. before then, I have my routine of gym and my self-study/project stuff to get into. I had a good week because I worked so hard last weekend, in the gym and on my self-study. Planning for a repeat, if at all possible.

Also today is a great day to check some of the newcomers threads. It is sometimes helpful for me to remind myself how lucky I am to be on this path. However hard it is.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Saturday.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Day 190.
Weekends are a bit quiet on our thread so just a quick check-in from me. Hope everyone is doing well. I am hanging in there, sticking to my routine.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Sunday all.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Enjoying a beautiful, quiet Sunday here. Sitting outside on my deck right now, may go for a run in a little bit.

Thankfully no more drinking dreams! I have to say that was very upsetting, and stuck with me for the rest of the day. Very unsettling.

Not much going on here. I guess no news is good news!

I hope you all have a happy, healthy, sunny, sober Sunday!
NACN
Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Day 190 here

NACN - I’ve also had some really scary drinking dreams. I’ve actually woken up in tears once, thinking I had ruined my sobriety. I was, of course, relieved when I realized it was a dream….but scary all the same. These dreams are fewer and farther between thank goodness!!! A rum and coke dispenser on an ocean cruise….lol….
I agree with Site too, the dreams themselves and the feeling of relief after waking up are a great reminder of how important sobriety has become.

Mr M - Glad to hear that although your current job is taking up a lot of your time, that it’s allowing you to do more things you want to be doing! Approaching my 6-month mark, I was also fearful of a relapse and restless and avoided all parties that weekend….didn’t want to tempt the AV, but it’s been nice and quiet since…hopefully, it’ll stay that way. I think it’s fairly normal to be cautiously aware during these milestones, and a good sign of your commitment to sobriety As far as Antibuse, you’ve got my support either way. I think your proactive planning (i.e. more podcasts, reading more) is a great idea! I also need to be posting more. I feel good now….but don’t want to get complacent.

DLB - Hope you’ve had a great weekend!! I also check in on the newcomers threads. I agree, it really makes me feel grateful to still be on this journey. I often like to recommend joining a class to newcomers as this class has been an essential part of my sobriety!

Well, things have been okay here. My AV has been pretty quiet, which is great, but my sleep schedule is WAYYYYY off. I’m having difficulty sleeping at night….up all hours and then taking longggggg daytime naps! I need to get back on track!!! I’m also waiting on a family doctor. The clinic down the road is supposedly getting one and I’m on a list….now I just have to wait. I don’t have anything pressing, I’d just like to get an overall physical and check up. It’s funny, for years I’d avoid the doctor like the plague and had awful thoughts about the damage I'd done…now I'm calling them daily asking if they’ve got a doctor yet. I’m like a kid on vacation - “are we there yet?”

Hope you’re all enjoying your Sunday!!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Day 191
Hi Ina and NACN. Glad you both had nice Sunday's also.

Other than your random sleep issues. You may remember, NACN, that I used to get insomnia really badly for the 2nd,3rd and 4th month. And depression. Looking back, I feel so much of all that has improved. I hope your own sleep issues get better.

I haven't been to the doctor since I begun my sobriety. Maybe I should do the same as you and go while the going is (hopefully) good You might be braver than I am.

Have a sober, happy and happy week all.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Day 192
Managed to get up on time to do some my self-study/project stuff before work. Hope everyone is doing well.
Have a healthy, happy and sober day classmates
Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Hi All!

DLB, looks like you've really been kicking butt and getting things done! Congrats. It must feel so nice to be able to tick things off the list, especially getting things done so early in the morning. I wish I was more of a morning person, I am really not at all! I thought that was one of the things that would change when I stopped drinking. I thought I would leap out of bed with a big smile on my face ready to take on the world! Alas, not so much lol. But, I do feel much better in the mornings than I did when I was drinking! No leaping though, at least not yet!!

I thought I would share this article. It is very sad, but it is a real reminder of how important it is to be doing what we are doing. I never watched "True Blood", but this actor seems like he was wonderful, and had so much promise. So sad.

'True Blood' Actor Nelsan Ellis Died Due to Alcohol Withdrawal Complications, Family Says | Hollywood Reporter

Sorry to end on that note, but it really struck me and resonated with me, so I thought it would be helpful for others to see.

Have a peaceful, happy, healthy, sober day, Januarians.
NACN
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Day 193
Hi NACN.
Thanks for posting. That is so sad. 39 is super young and he obviously died while trying to get sober, his body just wasn't able to withstand the ordeal.
I am glad you posted because it does help remind us how lucky we are to be on our paths this year.
It puts feeling sorry for ones self, in perspective, just because we can't sit in a pub garden or patio.

My self-study/gym/work thing is moving this week but last night, by the time I ate and got to bed I was so exhausted. My days are far harder than they used to be but this feels the right thing to be doing, for now. People deal with worse things.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day classmates. We can do this !